Private equity firm likely to purchase Corsair

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Reuters is reporting that Corsair might be purchased by a private equity firm EagleTree. Two sources have spoken to Reuters on condition of anonymity, and the headline deal divulged is that Eagle...

Private equity firm likely to purchase Corsair

2. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    well based experience, small company with good service turn bad after the company holded by big company that all they want is costumer money

so if the corsair really sold to other company, then maybe bye-bye to corsair great RMA service within few years

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    that's usually unfortunately true.:)

4. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, that's almost always the case unfortunately. Then the customers who propped up the company in the first place start to avoid it like the plague. When the company fails and revenues diminish, all the blame goes to the old team that's made the company what it is.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I've had bad luck with their equipment so I can't say I care much. Meh.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    $500 million seems like a bargain for such a big name in the business. This will either mean that half of their product offerings would be scrapped to focus on only certain peripherals, or they will make even more products and flood the market with cheaply made garbage.

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I have a lot of Corsair things. Pretty solid, enthusiast grade stuff. Their service is great too. I agree that this is the beginning of the end of all that.

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Corsair: "Now I become RGB, the destroyer of quality"

9. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 Ti
    What a bloody shame.

It'll be interesting, if probably also very sad, to read JonnyGuru's reviews of their PSUs once/if this takeover happens. I predict a swift goodbye to expensive Japanese caps, 10-year warranties, far above spec performance and scoring in the high nines.

10. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    ill withhold judgment until we can see the effects firsthand...but i agree this doesnt exactly bode well for us enthusiasts :p but maybe it will simply give them an opportunity to expand while retaining their current quality. one can hope.

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Not sure about "quality". Corsair PSU does also fail, gaming apparel mostly poorly designed, quality is also not top notch comparing to other gaming brands.

I had corsair gaming keyboard key stack, and rolled back to old trust worthy 9$ keyboard. But, that's just my experience.

The thing that keeps Corsair afloat (wink, wink) is customer relations and product looks (not rgb).

12. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    They are a rebrander. They dont MAKE anything anyway...

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Sure, the PSUs. Lest we forget:

cases
    peripherals
    water loops

All original. Unless I missed something.

14. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Asetek makes their liquid coolers. Im pretty sure that corsair doesnt manufacture anything that they sell unless ive missed a factory somewhere. They arent the only company that does this. They kinda built their reputation for PSUs by using Seasonic as their OEM for a while, then switching to cheap CWTs and continuing to ride the wave of good reputation that Seasonic brought to them, so i have tended to avoid Corsair stuff generally.

Asetek is great, but plenty of companies rebrand Asetek loops.

Im not sure who makes their peripherals or cases. Some are nice.

15. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    What a shame i got a great mouse from them ... my pc case.. the new rgb mouse pad and just ordered the new rgb platinum keyboard with speed switches. i love theyre products and hope bad things dont come ... i also love how if you order directly from them and something goes faulty they will send you a new item first then you send old one back.

16. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Ahhh. I knew the PSUs were other brands but I was under the impression they had made the water coolers. Interesting.

They had pretty good customer service which is getting rare these days.

17. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Its because people patronize retailers that drive customer service out of the equation in their quest to get the lowest price.

18. psiboy

psiboy New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 7870 LE Myst
    Corsair RAM

I've always bought Corsair RAM.. 20 years now the stuff has never let me down and it OC's well! Never bought any of their other gear.. PSU's Have always been Antec TruePower(s). Gaming Gear has usually been Logitech. Speakers JBL or Logitech

I hope their ram stays good.. but I don't like the odds

19. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    current quality, as in, i dont want to see any degradation - not that they are the pinnacle of quality as it stands. however their ram is still some of the best, among crucial/micron & teamgroup. their keyboards build quality is like a tank. you could knock somebody out with one of those things...no comment on their psu line.