Star citizen for console?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by rockupuncture, Jul 17, 2017.

1. rockupuncture

rockupuncture Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    This is only an opinion but I have a strong feeling that Star Citizen is being held back for release, for when the new xbox console is out. Anyone else feel this might happen? They keep saying its a PC exclusive but I can't help thinking of the times they said it would release as a single player and then the online stuff would follow and the single player still hasnt happened yet... Unless I missed something...

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There are two different games. Squadron 42 is the "Single Player Campaign" and Star Citizen, which is the persistent MMO world, but is currently a bunch of modules with a PU option.

Squadron 42 is based on Star Citizen, same engine, same low level systems, same character models, ships, etc. In the recent ATV's they are still showing a lot of the basic engineering systems coming online. They only recently started doing high poly models for characters. AI still being tweaked. Controls are still being tweaked. Multiple ships are getting update passes. Etc.

The game isn't out yet because it's not finished, not because they are waiting on consoles.

3. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    That is what they have said yes, but I think OP is suggesting they are slowing down production to line it up with new console release.

4. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I watched a good review of ELITE on the ps4, I played the original game on the Atari st and zx spectrum and after the detailed review I can't be arsed with so many button configuration on a game pad too much fucxking around for me but I'm old now so for younger gamers it shouldn't be a problem.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    They've said a lot of things over the last 4-5 years. The project seems to just be horribly managed IMO. Between the engine changes, countless missed deadlines, and constantly trying to add new features, the game looks more and more like it will suffer the same fate as Duke Nukem Forever. The devs need to stick with a plan and develop what they originally announced instead of trying to add every new piece of tech/ffeature into the game as possible.
    I still don't believe the game will ever actually be released.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Star Citizen was pretty much always intended to be a constantly evolving game. I laugh when people say "when Star Citizen is released" - think of it more like PUBG, or H1Z1 - the game is released, it's going to constantly be evolving from this point on. They may do an "official release" but even after that CIG intends to constantly add to the game, just like it is now. Squadron 42, the single player campaign, has definitely had feature creep but that's mostly because it's tied into Star Citizen. The entire campaign takes place inside Star Citizen. So when Star Citizen got an FPS module, they said "Why don't we have FPS missions in Squadron 42?" - but this type of creep honestly stopped about two years ago. Since then they've been using that time to bring the systems required for those changes online.

People bring up the engine change, but I'm not sure why - it's the exact same engine with Amazon branding. There was a few minor changes. They claim it took them 2 days to do the port - the advantage of doing the port is that they get AWS integration, which is a good thing.

As for the development time, it seems long, but it's really not that long. There are multiple AAA games people consider good games that have been in development longer. Those games were all from established studios, not ones being built from the ground up around a shifting budget and project scope. Couple that with the need to ship modular pieces of the game and the development time should be longer than the average AAA title.

Which brings me to a different point - a game of this scope boils down to a few different phases. You don't just hire 400 people and start building it - you first build out the main systems/production pipelines/etc before you get to the bulk of the project. A good example in Star Citizen is the solar system. It took them months to setup the first system in the engine because the engine wasn't built with modules that expedite massive star systems. In fact the engine wasn't even built to have a "map" that large. So they spent a great deal of time getting the first one working to appease players - the rest of the time they spent building a tool to make rolling out those systems faster. Now they have an integrated module that can spawn entire star systems, allow them to easily set orbits, planet types, etc, in only a couple minutes. This is similar for everything, character rigging, animation pipelines, flight controls, the fps module, networking, etc.

Once all those primary systems are online, that's when you hire your artists and designers and start checking in tons of assets and systems that run on top of all that. CIG only started doing that stuff this year. Last year they had less than 200 people, now they have over 400 actively working on the game. The rate at which content is going to be added is going to be significantly accelerated over the next year or so. For most games, you don't even hear about the game until it's already in this phase of production. Which is why Star Citizen seems like it's been in development longer than it has. This ramp up is also the reason why I don't think CIG is waiting for consoles - the game is still in it's production ramp phase. It's not close to being done. I wouldn't bet on SQ42 shipping until mid to late next year - which would make it 6 total years of development, 7 if you include the first year where they had a team of like 5 people.

7 years seems long but:

• L.A. Noire took 7 years.
    • Fallout 3 - 6 years.
    • SC2 - 7 years.
    • TF2 - 9 years.
    • Fornite - 6 years.
    • Alan Wake - 6 years.
    • Stalker SOT - 6 years.

So 7 years seems longer than normal, but it's not unheard of in the industry. Also most of those games were developed/produced by established studios and production companies. Not a crowd funded studio that was established during development of the game.

I mean it's entirely possible that CIG/Chris Roberts are going to mismanage it, totally screw it up and delay it for years and maybe it will never launch in any form ever. But so far nothing is out of the ordinary with the production and development of this game. There is no indication that it's a scam. It had some feature creep issues and Chris Roberts is notoriously bad at hitting his own deadlines - but the stuff he promises does eventually come. And the recent ATV videos that they've been posting give really good insight into the development process, where the game currently stands internally and what they plan on hitting for deadlines for 3.0. It's pretty clear from those videos that they are adding a metric ton of content at a significantly faster pace then they were only just a year ago.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Well, if it's true I wouldn't blame them. At least not too much. There's a lot of money in console game sales. This is the first console in this decade that has PC-like performance (in fact it's faster than many non-high-end gaming PCs) so it could run the game perfectly fine.

8. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Have you all seen the latest ATV?
    This will be an amazing release, 3.0.
    They showed us stuff that I still can't believe that I saw.
    It will never be a "released finished game".
    At least not in the literal sense.
    I wouldn't want it any other way.
    It's an exciting time for pc gamers.

9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    slim chance of this game coming to consoles , the dude behind it slammed consoles and revealed that they tried to port it to consoles and he refused

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    If this game was to slow production so they could squeeze it on to consoles, CIG would have a huge $hitstorm on their hands.
    Their focus is nowhere near console.. they need to release to PC and become successful there.. and even then I doubt they would try to release on console. I have a feeling they will take some cues from what happened with ED and Frontier when they elected to go to console.

11. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Is it even worth starting a thread about something that got a vaporware award?

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    In the future when you see a Star Citizen thread, or someone commenting about Star Citizen.... Try to not comment, your weakness is that you always comment on Star Citizen, and always say the same things over and over.

I am not hating on you, it is just annoying to always see you triggered by Star Citizen and always saying the same things.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  13. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Always? In my lifetime I think I posted in three threads across two forums.

Also, learn some grammar. It's "to hate someone/something".

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    There are so many Derek clones, It seems I have mistaken you for Loobyluggs.

15. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I don't even know what the hell are you talking about. Here, this is ignore list. I'm not interested in mentally ill people.

16. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    And all this because you thought it would be cool to hate on a game that you somehow think is vaporware?
    In a month or so, when we are putting the 3.0 alpha through its paces, and I comment on how much of a game changer it is, will you promise to expand on your deep thoughts on the subject? We would love to know what you think.
    Thanks!

17. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Somehow it's a lot more people than just me who think it's vaporware. Perhaps you should stop being such fanboys and try a realistic point of view for a change. Unless you were stupid enough to waste money on the "game", then I would totally understand your feelings.

P.S. I do own the game, ironically.

18. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I think you're misappropriating the term "Vaporware" here. Star Citizen is just an unfinished game, but there is an actual product there. "Vaporware" typically refers to a product that has nothing tangible beyond a press release.

I'm not saying Star Citizen will ever make good on it's hype - hell, I don't know how it possibly could at this point. But "Vaporware" doesn't seem like a fitting moniker.

19. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    I'm not a fanboy, I'm a 51year old adult who knows exactly what I spent money on, an alpha, I bought a license to take part in a games development process, which 99.99% of the time we never see.
    I am excited for what the future of this game and others like it hold. I've been gaming for 40 years, so you could say I've seen it all, the good and the bad and the ugly...
    You should be more positive and who knows, maybe, since you bought the game, you will enjoy it too.
    Have a great day!:)

20. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    What do you mean? X1X is near PC, actually probably more powerful than what most typical gamer's have anyway judging by hardware survey's. MS has made development extremely easy lately, would be a no brainer to port.

The only ****storm is the PC fanboys. They want something to call their own, like PS had Uncharted or whatever and releasing on console would cause a lot of system war butthurt all over again. In reality it's common sense financially to do a console version, CIG wants money just like everyone else. The only reason why some games are PC only in the past is because they didn't have the budget to license which is why sequels of successful PC exclusive games are almost always on console too. Even Crysis 1 ended up on console once they finally had enough money to do so while the sequel immediately went to console...that's where the big bucks are at. If I could make a game I'd console it too. No one hates mass amounts of money except Nintendo.

No, there's plenty of time for them to do a console version since the Cryengine 3 was designed to be Multiplatform engine anyway as is Lumberyard. They wouldn't have to do anything other than debug and find the performance sweet spot in adjusting graphics.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017