Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Dell UltraSharp 27 4K HDR Monitor: UP2718Q
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 5960K
Mainboard: X99
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Dell UltraSharp 27 4K HDR Monitor: UP2718Q - 07-17-2017, 07:35 | posts: 29,269 | Location: Guru3D testlab

We mentioned the¬*U3818D a couple of times already, but Dell also is releasing a smaller 27" version of their new curved HDR10 IPS ready screen called the¬*UP2718Q....

Dell UltraSharp 27 4K HDR Monitor: UP2718Q
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru
 
Loobyluggs's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 1070 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 07-17-2017, 08:41 | posts: 2,236 | Location: UK

3840 x 2160 ?

That's the video editing / post production market lost right there. DCI standard is 4096 x 2160 for cinema projection, because that is 4K...so people working in this field need that resolution.

I'm liking the HDR10 rec 2020, that I cannot deny - all in, it's impressive color with 100% Adobe RGB, 100% sRGB, 100% REC 709, 97.7% DCI-P3, 76.9% REC2020 (from the website) but the lack of full DCI4K support makes this worse.

And then there is the price which is nutty @ $1550.

IF someone was concerned about color-critical work, they could buy an OLED television manufactured late last year (brand new) 'fo that much molah and get several levels of magnitude higher quality color work done, and have the same resolution, yet have a much larger screen - essentially using it as a reference monitor.

So, at one end it's the wrong resolution for the intended market, and at the other end is more expensive than a better and larger alternative.

Can anyone offer me an alternative solution to:-

a) Color critical work
b) DCI4K resolution

Because right now, there is not much choice other than Sony and Eizo, and Sony (I believe) are the only ones with OLED Monitors for color work, and they are $30,000...https://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/b...specifications

Yet...OLED televisions are larger and cost less...I need help gurus! Why does my brain not balance this equation?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Exascale
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Gigabyte G1 1070
Processor: i7-6700K
Mainboard: MSI Z170 Carbon
Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4 in XMP
Soundcard: Grado SR-80i ALC1150
PSU: Seasonic X850 Gold
Default 07-17-2017, 11:12 | posts: 328

The article doesnt say anything about Rec.2020. For $1,500 you can be sure its not targeted at pro color work anyway. Add another zero and then itd be in that ballpark.

Not even the Sony OLEDs can actually do full Rec.2020. No monitor does yet. I think the highest commercially available ones are like 70-80% coverage.

Christie makes some six laser $100,000 projectors(price doesnt include screens or sound system of any kind) that do Rec.2020.

LG OLED TVs do incredibly accurate Rec.709 for dirt cheap and have perfect black levels. I dont know if they accept RGB 0-255 sRGB inputs properly for use as a monitor though.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
maikai
Maha Guru
 
maikai's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 970 SSC
Processor: Intel i7 4770
Mainboard: Asus Deluxe/Dual
Memory: 16GB XPG DDR3 2400
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000G2
Default 07-18-2017, 06:46 | posts: 1,142 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascale View Post
The article doesnt say anything about Rec.2020. For $1,500 you can be sure its not targeted at pro color work anyway. Add another zero and then itd be in that ballpark.

Not even the Sony OLEDs can actually do full Rec.2020. No monitor does yet. I think the highest commercially available ones are like 70-80% coverage.

Christie makes some six laser $100,000 projectors(price doesnt include screens or sound system of any kind) that do Rec.2020.

LG OLED TVs do incredibly accurate Rec.709 for dirt cheap and have perfect black levels. I dont know if they accept RGB 0-255 sRGB inputs properly for use as a monitor though.
A copy and paste directly from the monitors official webpage @
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-...or-accessories

A broad, brilliant spectrum: Dell PremierColor offers wide color coverage that meets major industry standardsó100% AdobeRGB, 100% sRGB, 100% Rec. 709, 97.7% DCI-P3 and 76.9% Rec. 2020ófor immaculate, unwavering colors.

Last edited by maikai; 07-18-2017 at 06:55.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
Exascale
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Gigabyte G1 1070
Processor: i7-6700K
Mainboard: MSI Z170 Carbon
Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4 in XMP
Soundcard: Grado SR-80i ALC1150
PSU: Seasonic X850 Gold
Default 07-18-2017, 06:55 | posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikai View Post
A direct copy and paste directly from the monitors official webpage @
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-...or-accessories

A broad, brilliant spectrum: Dell PremierColor offers wide color coverage that meets major industry standardsó100% AdobeRGB, 100% sRGB, 100% Rec. 709, 97.7% DCI-P3 and76.9% Rec. 2020ófor immaculate, unwavering colors.
I remember reading about this monitor a while back. https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-up...dimming-zones/

Its dirt cheap for what it is.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
angelgraves13
Master Guru
 
Videocard: eVGA 1080 Ti SC Hybrid
Processor: i7 5960X 4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS X99-E WS
Memory: Corsair 64GB 2400 XMP
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: Antec HCP 1200
Default 07-18-2017, 07:14 | posts: 527 | Location: Los Angeles

Wish it was 32 inches and 5K.

This seems like the monitor to save up for. I don't like my current ASUS monitor. I'll only go with Dell from now.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
Exascale
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Gigabyte G1 1070
Processor: i7-6700K
Mainboard: MSI Z170 Carbon
Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4 in XMP
Soundcard: Grado SR-80i ALC1150
PSU: Seasonic X850 Gold
Default 07-18-2017, 07:54 | posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelgraves13 View Post
Wish it was 32 inches and 5K.

This seems like the monitor to save up for. I don't like my current ASUS monitor. I'll only go with Dell from now.
Neither company manufactures their panels or backlights. Only a few companies out there actually do(AUO, LG, Samsung, and a couple others i cant remember right now). Have to do a lot of digging before you buy a monitor these days really. Asus tends to have very poor quality control with their monitors as a general rule though.

Dells are usually pretty good. This one is called "IPS", but like many new "IPS" labeled monitors, they are actually a competing AHVA(subtype of VA) monitor. LG makes IPS, AUO makes VA, Samsung makes PLS(similar to IPS).

When buying a monitor these days, its important to get a good backlight since the majority of monitors sold since around 2010 are WLED backlit, which is garbage and the worst type of backlight.

This one is AHVA with a really wide gamut LED(probs GB-r which is about as good as individual RGB LED triads, and also has 384 local dimming zones, so it should kick ass for $1,500.

Last edited by Exascale; 07-18-2017 at 07:59.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
EJocys
Member Guru
 
Videocard: nVidia 1070
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard: Intel
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster
PSU: Corsair RMx 750W
Default 07-18-2017, 20:54 | posts: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobyluggs View Post
That's the video editing / post production market lost right there. DCI standard is 4096 x 2160 for cinema projection, because that is 4K...so people working in this field need that resolution.
I've tried to find out why Digital Cinema Initiatives chose weird 4096x2160 (256:135) resolution, instead of 3840x2160 and could not find any reasonable explanation. Why would you choose to record in DCI 4K (4096x2160p) when 99% of modern digital equipment is tailored for 16:9 aspect ratio (UHD 3840x2160, 1920x1080, 1280x720)? I remember that monitors used 16:10 resolution in order to fit button bar for media editing software, but original AR was still in 16:9.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru
 
Loobyluggs's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 1070 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 07-19-2017, 14:26 | posts: 2,236 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJocys View Post
I've tried to find out why Digital Cinema Initiatives chose weird 4096x2160 (256:135) resolution, instead of 3840x2160 and could not find any reasonable explanation. Why would you choose to record in DCI 4K (4096x2160p) when 99% of modern digital equipment is tailored for 16:9 aspect ratio (UHD 3840x2160, 1920x1080, 1280x720)? I remember that monitors used 16:10 resolution in order to fit button bar for media editing software, but original AR was still in 16:9.
Width.

Old and Modern Projectors like the 1.896296296296296:1 aspect ratio when projecting imagery, gives you a lot of give for tilt and shift.

So, a 2.35:1 ratio like Star Wars fits on there quite nicely with tilt and shift, allowing you to scale dimensions depending on the size of the screen you are projecting to, all hte way down to something like the Die Hard which had a 1.78:1 aspect ratio.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
Amaze
Maha Guru
 
Amaze's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte 970 G1 1550/7800
Processor: Intel 2500K @4.5
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Soundcard: O2+ODAC
PSU: Coolermaster v700
Default 07-19-2017, 17:25 | posts: 2,193 | Location: Norway

The U2518D is 1440p. This info is on their site.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru
 
Loobyluggs's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 1070 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 07-20-2017, 20:13 | posts: 2,236 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaze View Post
The U2518D is 1440p. This info is on their site.
Who was talking about that? This news piece is about the UP2718Q
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
Amaze
Maha Guru
 
Amaze's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte 970 G1 1550/7800
Processor: Intel 2500K @4.5
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Soundcard: O2+ODAC
PSU: Coolermaster v700
Default 07-23-2017, 11:33 | posts: 2,193 | Location: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobyluggs View Post
Who was talking about that? This news piece is about the UP2718Q
Perhaps you should read the article again
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 2017, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.