Pro Overclocker Der8auer Feels X299 Platform is a Disaster for Overclocking

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    I wasnt planning on buying one of these, and i have been telling people to wait for Ryzen and Threadripper. Looks like thats a good recommendation.

Ive always bought and recommended Intel. Looks like thats changing.

Intel is making some rather large mistakes. Knights Landing didnt work out so well compared to Pascal, the Aurora supercomputer has been delayed and the architecture is apparently being re-evaluated, possibly because the larger Knights Hill based machine wont be able to outperform the Volta based Summit and Sierra machines. Knights Mill is now a separate machine learning chip, meanwhile Volta has >7 TFLOPS DP and 120 TFLOPS from the tensor cores for machine learning. Can Intel keep up?

Now we have Skylake X and Skylake-SP looking bad. Looks like X wont perform like is supposed to and SP is going to be massively expensive compared to Epyc, while offering lower memory bandwidth and still being limited to 46bit PA space while AMD had the foresight to give Epyc 48bit PA.

At the moment, it really looks like Intel is falling behind while AMD and Nvidia are moving ahead in all areas.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I saw this earlier on his own YouTube channel. It feels like intel has rushed this out the gates, and leaving bread crumbs of errors and faultss along the way... the board manufacturers rushed out products and some of them just don't run well past anything other than stock, and with temps getting to 100 degrees even with water cooling and a very small over clock these products just seem out of place :/

I still don't get why they're using paste instead of solder on these cpus, it's insane. I feel bad for anyone who isn't as informed who purchase these to find all the surprises waiting for them... amd have really stirred up the pot in a massive way, hopefully thread ripper comes up and doesn't have any of these issues

4. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Another Intel-hate story.
    Can we maybe consolidate them in a once-in-a-week article?

I don't claim X299 is not without bugs, but I don't have any doubts they will be ironed out pretty soon. I bet - with the release of a big-core-count CPUs, so probbaly by Christmas, it will be all well again.

And Threadripper... apart form a name on a paper, it doesn't exist still.

5. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
  6. FeDaYin

FeDaYin Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 ref.
    Maybe now we need aftermarket rgb cables with increased thickness and technology that prevents overheating.

Just $99 for one 8 pin cable.

7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Well, i always bought intel, and i will decide what to buy as soon both the competitors are out. But to be hones, the cpu on the x299 need an better cooler to overclock right? If you want to overlock 10 cores you need cool your cpu a way more than a standard air cooler can do.

Why should be different for mosfet and voltage regulators?
    If you want to tweak it you should take care of your cooling if the standard is not enough.

8. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    The article says its an issue evem with good cooling...

9. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    My take on this is that I won't be too worried about the vrm heat, as that can be solved with a little fan and a better heat transfer between fets and heatsink. The biggest concern here is the power draw from the 8 pin. I mean 80C on the powerline is ludicrous!!! Maybe put a fan and sink on your cables.... hahaha!

10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    This particular problem is motherboard manufactures screwing up the VRM cooling (presumably because they focus too much on ****ty RGB designs instead of functional cooling), not directly Intels fault (other then making a CPU that needs more power, and releasing a bit early)

der8auer himself said that the Intel SKL-X CPUs actually OC quite well (presumably on his Apex engineering sample), but in this case the currently available motherboards are seriously holding them back due to overheating VRMs.

Its not inherently a platform or CPU problem, and could possibly be solved by better motherboard designs - and hopefully the round of high-end boards that release after the first wave will have some better designs here.

This can also be resolved by using 8+4 or 8+8 instead of just a single 8.

Personally I'm going with an entry level board for now, and will see what happens with the OC boards that release later.

11. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    A bug, a bug, watch the damn video there is serous health and safety concerns when you are hitting the maximum thermal thresholds of power cables and draw through the power connectors this means under sustained load you could have a fire, best case you can short the motherboard and CPU. Thats why he is saying avoid single 8pin motherboards altogether especially if you plan to overclock.

12. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Doesnt intel give them the specs to use?

Kinda reminds me of the Geforce 970, which had no reference board. Most 970 AIBs sucked and many didnt even have VRM cooling at all(Asus) and some had ill fitting heatpipes that didnt touch the chip(EVGA).

While the AIB makers made the bad boards, Nvidia could have specified a better design for them to use.

13. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    If you run stock, all of those boards work perfectly fine, no throttling and no overheating, even on single 8-pin (der8auer said that quite clearly as well).

Its just when you OC and the power shoots up from the stock 140-150W to up to 300W on the CPU alone that stuff gets crazy. I seriously doubt Intel hands out specs for OC boards - but with a long history of various "OC" branded boards, one would have hoped the motherboard manufacturers would have the experience required to build boards that can actually OC.

14. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Thats usually happen when they using cooper or iron (lol) instead use some golden in mosfets.

In so expensive mobos, that just never should happen.
    Coils also Should be high effiency.
    Chipsets loaded with featureres not help temp aswell.

For contrast, my Asus Z270-A is freaking coold after OC.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Not without bugs? Mate, it is full of bugs. It isn't a hate story, it's the current facts and what crap editor would I be if I did not report on it? If I can give you an example, on my latest (unpublished just yet) testing with an ASUS board with an all new public and updated BIOS, I actually ABORTED overclocking with water-cooling 1.30 Volts on the CPU at 4600 MHz.

Why, if you wonder? your answer can be found here.

16. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Intel should stop the nonsense of using chewing gum as tim.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I recommend actually watching the video, it is not an "Intel Hate Story", it is just bringing to light some problems with these new motherboards having poorly designed vrm cooling and a separate problem of inadequate power delivery for some of the boards resulting in a fire hazard for anyone wanting to overclock with those particular boards.

18. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    He states that you need a motherboard with 2 connectors.
    Ok - so, do motherboards with 2 connectors exist?
    Can you convert one cable into 2 like they do for Graphic Cards, only this time you want 2 going into 1.

19. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Overclock is instability on the long run anyway, i dont like it, and i never wil like it, unstable mess.

20. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    I dont overclock because i dont need to, but if theyre selling these as overclocking chips and overclocking boards, they shouldnt become fire hazards from a mild OC like these are.