AMD Vega Frontier Edition Unboxed and Benchmark

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    With AMDs Vega Frontier Edition now available it was onlt a matter of time before a consumer would get his hands on it. User #define @ Disqus purchased one, took unboxing photos and ran a 3DMark Fir...

AMD Vega Frontier Edition Unboxed and Benchmark

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Should I laugh or should I cry ?

This is my result on a GTX1080 which was supposed to be slower than Vega:
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10146244

Graphics Score - 24031

Yes, it is a bit overclocked... but still... dang, I have that card for a year, and 1080Ti's are scoring WAY, WAY higher (Up to ~30000 graphics score)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't know what AMD was thinking with this release. They wanted a card like a Titan, but I guess the release is rushed so the gaming performance is terrible with the current "gaming" drivers, so Raja basically says "not for gaming" but they release a gaming mode for it anyway..

They should have either waited for the drivers to mature before releasing the card, or waited to release the gaming driver only until it was ready.

AMD's community takes pride in the fact that AMD is more willing to interact with users. I really think they should take advantage of that and explain the situation, why the gaming performance is low, what they are going to do to fix it, timeline for the fixes, etc. I think they would received a way better response then not even sending review samples out and sending mixed messages about the target market for the card itself.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Why does it really matter?

The price of this is what, $1500?
    Anyways, it's way over a 1080ti and we know the Ti is faster and it only costs $650.

Surely nobody will buy less for more(gaming wise)

5. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Where's the Only Intruder guy now who had a lot to tell me on some other news post?

I didn't bother to reply to him in that thread. Well, here's proof of the performance.

All AMD is good for is providing you with a heater free of cost in colder countries.

Good luck in hoping to see a 50% performance gain with driver optimization alone.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The AC edition is $1000 the WC edition is $1500, they dropped the prices yesterday.

I guess it matters because the same hardware is being utilized in the RX variant (minus 8GB of HBM) as far as we know. So if this card has no legs with the gaming drivers, the RX variant will probably be similar.

7. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    And if they do not release a Vega in June, the wiseguys will shout "They still don't have any Vega cards but in July-August".

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Seems infinitely better then releasing a card that underperforms, with an initial driver release of known issues that's a mile long. On top of not even providing hardware to reviewers and controlling the story.

9. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    out of all of that, the bit that triggered me the most was the line "heater free of cost in colder countries"

if it throws out a lot of heat, it pulls a lot of power as well. so that point is wrong.

as for the rest of it, well, anyone who has been looking at historical data when it comes to AMD vs nVidia flagship releases would know that AMD never takes the performance crown anymore. So i don't know why people are so surprised by it.

10. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Im pretty sure that Vega Frontier is targeted at machine learning workloads, so complaining about its gaming performance is kinda silly.

11. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    WTF How can ur score so much high.My 1080 with i7 6700k(oc) score 5423.
    this cant be that much of difference between i7 6700k and i7 6800k difference of 14000 score? can anyone explain it this legit?

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I could repeat the mantra that I'm actually certain is true, that the drivers aren't even close to ready, but then why even release them with a driver like that AMD? :S

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Very disappointed in this news. Is AMD going to be able to sell the gaming focused card at $450?
    His fire strike score looks normal. Post yours.

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Becouse you look at gaming benchmarks with preview drivers when you are interested in a professional GPU like a Quadro or Tesla..

15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    To all above, card isn't for gaming. Full stop.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's a good point, but even if the point is 100% correct, it just highlights the current state of the AMD gaming driver for the card, and the idiotic decision to launch it with it.

17. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    My bad i have score in Fire strike Ultra thats why score is lower.Heres my score for both firstrike:-
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11182818
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20739977?

18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What does it matter is the current state of of drivers for professional application. Non professional application performance do not matter at all. Moreover on such cards some genral "gaming" optimizations are disabled.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Then why give it a gaming mode and say you can switch between the two? Why compare it to a Titan XP, which people constantly call a "gaming" card?

At the very least, as PRMinister said, this shows the state of the gaming drivers for the RX variant. Which as I said, as far as we know, is this card minus 8GB of HBM.

The current state of drivers for professional applications is worse than Quadro cards at the ~same price with half the TDP. Not to mention the known issues list includes a number of professional application issues.

It just seems like they released this card because they were afraid of going passed the 2H date like BREAL said. Which is a huge mistake imo, because first impressions are everything. At the very least they could have gave it to reviewers along with a guide that explained why it's in this state - at least then they could somewhat control the damage and explain it. Now it's just going to be speculated that RX Vega will perform equivalently and people will just go buy a Ti or whatever.

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Currently it seems to fair worse then Fury X in a sense. So everything is wrong.