Ryzen, motherboards and the question of memory speeds

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Præses, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Hi all

I'm planning on upgrading in two months or so, aiming at the R5 1600, but I have some questions:

Should I get CL14 3200Mhz DDR4 or go for higher clocked CL16? Will Ryzen ever reach OC speeds above 3200MHz without being a memory OC Guru or has it reached a plateau? Will there be a noticeable performance difference between CL14 and CL16 3200MHz DIMMs on Ryzen?

With regards to motherboards - what is the main difference between B350 and X370?
    Should I stick to a board that supports U.2 or is M.2 fine? I'm planning on getting a Samsung Evo 960.
    I see some boards have two M.2 slots - would they have the same amount of lanes per slot or would they split the lanes in comparison to a board with only one M.2 slot?

I'm guessing Threadripper would not be comparable in price to the R5 1600 - probably more "enthusiast" pricing?

2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Make yourself a coffe, lots of it and take a look here, that thread has everything you need to know Ryzen related :)

3. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Thanks, I should probably look at stickied threads... :p