Catalyst Vega driver (new branch 17.20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oscarbg, Jun 28, 2017.

1. oscarbg

oscarbg Guest

GPU:
    asus geforce 470
    Hi,
    has anyone on this forum tested new AMD Crimson driver for Vega:
    ( support.amd.com en-us download frontier?os=Windows+10+-+64)

It has new branch 17.20 vs Crimson 17.6.2 is 17.10..
    anyone tested (seems to need INF modding?) can post screenshoots
    of Control center showing Vulkan, OpenGL OpenCL build numbers
    Also would be nice if someone with these drivers modded on better running on Vega can post reports on vulkan.gpuinfo.org on opengl.gpuinfo.org as presumedly Vega adds some new Vulkan and OpenGL extensions..

thanks..
    PD: can't post links still not many posts :-(

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Great driver for those with a HD 2400 XT or a HD 4870 who would like a new Windows 10 driver. The INF supposedly supports all the legacy, pre-GCN cards (but not GCN!).

I installed the components and force installed the driver as Radeon Vega Frontier Edition. Going by the INF this is perfectly fine to do, the driver detects what is supported more so than the device ID. Works well so far, haven't done any tests though. It will be interesting to see whether it works with legacy cards.

All the files are there as well, basically this is beta driver as stated, the only thing missing seemingly is the device ID's for other GCN cards. Their prime focus of the driver is obviously on Vega. Potentially there are benefits for non-Vega cards as this is literally the forerunner driver for the next available GCN <5 driver.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2017
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Interesting, guess 16.7.1 could be a interesting driver then if that too uses the newer branch found in that Vega release driver.
    And hopefully AMD can solve most of those TDR and crash issues listed in the known issues section before the consumer Vega cards launches in a few months.

..Though with availability likely being extremely low I guess most of these will sell out pretty quickly, going to be interesting to see what the reviews will say about though and how the third party models might be whenever those arrive. :D

4. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    It would be nice but I highly doubt that. Probably just dud leftovers that don't have any files listed for install and no reg settings.

5. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Dual RX 6650XT
    Just saw this... Anyne going to mod these for older cards (R9 series and such), if possible?

6. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    I just tried on a 5750 for lolz, didn't work out so well... It let me install it but I can't run any games. It's reporting 22.19.384.2 as the driver version.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    the driver doesn't install anything on legacy cards,

what the services section should look like

they include the ids to prevent a conflict when installing the driver if there is an older gpu installed in the same system as a supported gpu.

8. crazyline

crazyline Member

GPU:
    8680g+7670M

User1 i think you gonna work to do :D
    do you gonna modded?

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Since you're talking about Legacy, is there anything that's seriously broken for the HD 2000-4000 and 5000-6000 series?

10. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    For the 5000/6000

The opengl drivers have some bugs, but they work most of the time (slowly).
    A few graphical bugs with newer dx11 games, but whether thats the game's or driver's fault i dont know.

11. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    It did though... It installed the whole driver when I installed it through the INF. Problem is the driver has no logic for legacy cards so it just crashes everything.

12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I guarantee that it installed nothing,
    the inf tells windows to install nothing, when it "finished" installing it falls back to software rasterization since there are no libs

13. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    Dude, I don't mean to piss on your parade but I installed these through the installer, the install log reported all components installed.

I re-booted, 2D rendering/screen composition working fine but Crimson control panel reported that 17.6.2 was still installed. Now as soon as I run a 3D game, roll the titles then CTD, no error messages. This was the case for every 3D game I have installed.

Installed 17.6.2 over the top, replaced dx12 stub/.dll (17.2.1), rebooted. All 3d Games working without issue again.

So in short, It either installs something or it alters the config of the currently installed driver. It breaks your sh*t, that's for certain, so it's doing something...

Just thought my experience installing this vega driver may help decipher what exactly it's doing...

Peace peeps :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    look man. im just looking at the inf, nothing more, if you wanna take a look at it be my guest, the most important section in the inf Simply doesn't have anything in it

the legacy section as specified by the legacy id's

the section specified for R7500 (vega)
    which will look very similar to polaris or any other gpu

this section Tells windows what sections of the inf to read , most of which tell windows what files to copy or reg keys to add ,

The reason you can get any output at all is due to windows Falling back to the Software Rasterizer (standard vga driver) ie the cpu doing all the work since you are installing a dummy driver essentially on top of the existing driver,

I know that it defaults back to the sw rast since in my efforts to get 16.201 branch drivers to work it would do exactly the same thing when "installed" and couldn't initialize properly.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  15. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    Dude, sorry for starting my previous post in such a way as it gave the wrong impression. I do not mean to rubbish your findings. After studying your findings myself, I completely agree with what you are saying & what you have found in the package contents (.inf etc.).

My game CTD's were the result of a lack of 3d support in the standard vga driver, corrected when I re-installed 17.6.2 over the top of vega.

Now all is good again :banana: Think however I will let someone else do the testing in future :p

Peace... :thumbup:

16. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    no worries:cheers:

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    More like dual GPU on one interposer.