First AMD Radeon RX Mining cards Surface Online

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The hype in crypto-currency mining is something the Radeon board partners jump onto. See below the firstÂ*Radeon Mining Edition cards from Sapphire. The models are available in RX 470 and RX 560. Shou...

First AMD Radeon RX Mining cards Surface Online

2. Olievlekje

Olievlekje Member

GPU:
    290x / 4gb
    12 -14 Mh/s for 300 bucks damn thats almost stupid you get 29-30 Mh/s from a 480/580 that you can resell to gamers for at least 50% of new value. with some tweaks they run 85/115 watts depending on what coin your mining.

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I couldn't care less about mining other than it's rather annoying that card prices skyrocket because of greed on both ends. Cards on the used market cannot be trusted now. Could have been used up as a miner.

Average gamers who buy these cards (to actually game) suffer for it.

It would be nice if cards like this alleviated that, but I doubt it.

4. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Please will someone explain to me how money is made though mining? All I can see is:

1) Run GPU at 100% for a LONG time, wasting electricity and adding to global warming.
    2) ???
    3) Profit.

I don't get it. All I can see is a big, fat bubble that is due to burst.

I'm serious - please will someone tell me how mining makes money?!

5. Voxvalve

Voxvalve Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX3080
    If the RX 470 mining edition is the same as a normal RX 470 without display outputs it might still be possible to do crossfire setups using it as the secondary card?
    So if mining dies it might be a cheaper crossfire setup.

6. gMan

gMan Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTS250 512MB
    I'm wondering the very same question from a long time. Beside using them on black market as untraceable currency.

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    50% my ass: I'm waiting for new stock to pop up (hopefully next week). The guy at the store sold 20 sapphire to same guy 1 month ago not knowing about this, he said he's not selling more than 1 per person now.
    If the bubble bursts and the market is flooded, I'm going to offer 50€ at those mother****ing miners just to mess with their faces.

The idea is that you create a coin that you sell for real money.
    If your electricity is cheap enough, at the value the cryptocurrency is at, you can make profit. I too think this is utterly stupid and useless, everyone doing this is a useless ****.

They're traceable anyway...

Flash news to everyone: all coins are dropping in value for the past week.
    **** you miners!

8. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050

Thank you, man!
    I already thought that everyone is just hyped to stupidity and don't see the truth about cryptocurrencies. Glad at least some are still smart. Thank you.

I like comparing this to an imaginary situation - when one buys a canister of gas from a Gas station, then just watch it burn and get the money for it along the way.

It is indeed a huge empty bubble, which one day will undoubtedly burst. Especially if some serious flaw becomes public.
    I am shocked everyone are willing to forget Mt.Gox and the individual *****ster who is Mark Karpeles.

9. Olievlekje

Olievlekje Member

GPU:
    290x / 4gb
    friend of mine is doing this for years he buys a good gaming card let it mine for a year and then sell it for 75-80% of new value as your buying a card with still 1-2 years of warranty.

and sells them like hotcakes, and it doesn't seem to matter to anyone that he used it for mining.

with the coming flood of second hand cards i already dropped to a more realistic 50% for the coming period. So if you offer 50$ i think you get laughed at yourself.

and your a bit naive if you think a shop cares if a card goes to a gamer or a miner or someone that uses it as a paperweight. especially if they guy that will use it as a paperweight is willing to pay 50 bucks more.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I guess with this card the miners can't sell them to gamers after they are done with it.... kind of funny really.

11. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    You (usually not alone but in a pool of users) solve a mathematical problem, for which you are awarded a fee in bitcoins (which is shared among the pool members).

* The problem's complexity increases exponentially over time; that's why people work together, each member works on a tiny subset of the original problem.

* The bitcoin fee decays over time (halves every 4 years, started at 50 BTC, now it's 12.5).

* Ultimately, the total amount of BTC that can be mined is limited - 21 millions BTC. Currently we sit at 16 millions generated; possibly the last blocks might not ever be mined due to the extreme complexity.

All of the above - increasing difficulty, decreasing rewards, limited size - make BTC's availability go down over time, hence increasing the value of the existing BTC.

12. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Well,maybe you can use it in CAD and graphic intensive works.

13. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    The RX560 cost £170 and uses 60 watts, what are you talking about?

14. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    It is the scam of the decade.

Whoever designed this knew what they were doing, and probably half of the coins which where initially mined very easy are now sold to all the idiots hoping to get rich, they got their big-ass $$$ and everyone else is now competing for scraps with their massive power hogging rigs.

Eventually this entire nonsense will go down in history as one of the most massive waste of technology and energy of the last 100 years.

Aliens are probably laughing like crazy looking at us: "Hey, look at them, they invented these miracles of technology (computer chips), and what are they using them for? Calculating quintilions of nothings... At the same time, millions of them are dying of diseases which could be cured by investing that computational power into understanding nature better...

Terrible... when are we going to learn??

15. Olievlekje

Olievlekje Member

GPU:
    290x / 4gb
    what`s is not clear ? that i'm not using a 560 as comparison ? but rather one of the favorite cards for mining ?

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Maybe that is the way of digital coins ? If it doesn't take off, you have a load of pre-mined worthless coins.
    If it does take off, you cash out when you want with some of them, making a huge profit.
    Frankly, if there's money to be made, why not ?

Someone in university halls, probably doesn't pay an electric bill.

If you want to talk about Nature, iPhones etc are one of the banes of the natural world, and maybe its time we put back the European forests which stretched all over the UK, and Central Europe ? (France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, etc...)

We live in a world where you are expected to accumulate wealth and possessions for some reason, even though it all gets left behind when you die.
    Historically, when the human race got too big for its own good, a plague or illness ravaged those living in close proximity to each other, culling the herd so to speak.
    With our medecine and technology, we are pushing that back further and further, if not indefinitely.
    We are also the only species, afaik, that destroys is own habitat....and we do it for money :) (See the state Borneo/Indonesia/Amazon is in now...)

edit : When are we going to learn ? Probably when its too late to do anything about it.

17. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Ok, so come up with a different way of creating an anonymous, decentralized yet secure currency that can be used online.

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I wonder what aliens believe about the dollar and how we trust in god on it. :infinity:

20. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I live in Portugal, here consumers don't like to buy used unless for a residual value for fear of being scammed. And indeed the guy I sold my R9 270X one month ago was really paranoid about it as he was scammed before. I had to send printscreens of GPUZ, Afterburner, Kombuster, Gaming and what not so he was more secure about the purchase.

I'm not getting laughed because they'll not sell them, they'll be stuck with paperweights literally ;)

I've personally made fun of a couple already selling cards they bought specifically to try and gain a profit from this situation.

There's plenty of news around of shops limiting purchases to 1 or 2 GPU's per order, just because in some countries like amurrica people are stupid, doesn't mean everyone is.

^^This is the smartest comment I've seen so far about cryptocurrency^^