Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Source Code Leak

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by anticupidon, Jun 26, 2017.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    That statement makes no sense.

Even if you had the whole code of Windows 10 leaked (like, EVERYTHING, the whole thing,) you still can't use it. You have no license for it.

So how exactly would that make it open source?

Many people overestimate the importance of available source code. Without a license allowing you to use that code, it's pretty much worthless and might as well not exist.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There's nothing that prevents anyone from compiling the source code for Windows, if they have access to the source code.

Do you really think a "license", or lack of, is going to prevent someone from compiling the source code? There is no compiler that I'm aware of, that has license enforcement for source code.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's not the point. Open source implies legally open source. Something that is stolen, and changed, is not "open source" since it is not legal.

That'd be like Battlefield 1's sourcecode being leaked, a "different" version gets released, and saying "YAY! Battlefield 1 went open source!"

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm pretty sure OP is implying that a full leak would promote MS to make it open source.

Which is still not going to happen.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Why would you need to obtain pirated source code, spend a month setting up a build environment that can actually build it, then build it, and figure out how to use the resulting binaries, if you can just download an ISO and install from there? :p

Linux has full source available and virtually nobody uses it that way. You go to ubuntu.com or whatever distro you choose, get an ISO with installable binaries, and install it.

Source code is overrated. Just because proprietary businesses protect it and try to keep it secret does not actually mean it's THAT valuable if it's leaked.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    From an educational perspective, every piece of source code you can obtain is valuable.

For the average user, it doesn't make sense to compile the source code for Windows. However, there are some that would be willing to put in the effort to compile the code and distribute it full of changes for data collection purposes.

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This is the way hackers can review source code and easily create kernel level exploits. No need to guess or messing with decompiled code.

M$ better start reviewing code for exploits and pray nothing major gets out.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MS would never make the Windows source code "open source". Even though the vast majority of users would never bother to compile the code themselves, there will always be that few that will make changes of a malicious nature to the code, compile it and then attempt to distribute it to unsuspecting users. That alone is enough for MS to justify not making it open source. Although....now might be a good time to start planning Windows 11 with a LOT of changes to the source code....lol

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    *double facepalm*
    Maybe you need new profile icon? I did it several times. I know people who did it several times...

Secondly, you have no idea why people no longer do it in general. That's because:
    1st) They trust that pre-compiled binaries
    2nd) Those binaries perform as expected
    3rd) Source Code does not contain BS which end user wants removed.

Desire to have Open Source OS is as big as to have Open Source drivers.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Are you serious? I don't think you are.

Source code is leaked. Now what, people fork it on Github with bugfixes? DMCA takedown-storm incoming.

I stand by what I said. Source code without a license is not very useful. Especially for the open source ecosystem, where it's completely useless.

12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Guys, it was sarcasm. Microsoft is going "open/stolen" source.
    But from a pure educational, security research standpoint, that information could and will be used to create refined security holes in Windows .

13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    That's not a good thing. Charismatic and competent hackers will not let it go easily. I await a sh!tst0rm loaded with every kind of trash into my system fans.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Source code for an operating system, especially Windows, is incredibly useful to those that want it.... If you can't get that, you shouldn't be involved in this thread. You have absolutely no idea the ramifications of the Windows source code being leaked.

Whether or not someone has a license to use the source code means nothing. The people that want the Windows source code, aren't worried about a damn license. There is no license what so ever that prevents use of the source code. Criminals don't care about licensing nor laws. There are several governments that will completely ignore the fact that the source code was stolen and will make no affect to aid in enforcement of licensing.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Welcome to my ignore list.

*plonk*

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol, I got it straight away.
    I cant believe the ****storm that ensued.
    They serious!

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Who did it? Russian haxxors or the 400lb troll in his bedroom? :p

18. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    delete

19. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I wonder if you could use the Source Code to cut or rewrite and compile your own OS, license free or steal code to use in something else. It would probably make things easier for malicious coders to find exploits.

I also wonder if it's possible to steal enough of the source code, especially Direct X and integrate into your own program for Linux that could run games similar to WINE except using real DX code?

20. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    So glad i dont use windows 10 spyware on any of my machines.