Endurance Test of Samsung 850 Pro Comes To an End after 9100TB of writes

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    That is 35546 full drive writes.

Abso-freekin-lutely amazing, those MLC flash cells are rated for 3000-5000 rewrites, yet they lasted ~35000 times !!

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    SSD's are very much the future of storage, i would like to see a mechanical hard drive last that long, as long as they aren't DOA i don't really see SSD's dying and the newer ones can last even longer with their higher write and read counts... it's very impressive to say the least!

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    SSD tech is the future. With 64 and 128 layer ships coming with up to 1Tb per ship, we will have bigger SSD than HDD! 3 to 5 more years and the price/performance will make HDD die.

6. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Nice, i just bought one to replace my 840pro!

7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    I just paid 296 Euro for an 8TB HDD...
    Choosing 4x 2TB Samsung 850 EVO's (as cheap as possible without sacrificing too much on quality), that would cost from the same seller: 2636 Euro

I don't see them covering the NINE times price difference in the next 3-5 years. HDD's of similar capacity will drop in price as well during that time.

For large data storage like 4K video ( which I do ), and in the not-so-far future maybe 6K, 8K, large HDD storage will still be the norm.

But in 10 years... there's a very high chance HDD's will be history by then.

8. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    That's really nice to know, I've got an 850 Pro 256GB myself :D At 7.3TB total written so far.

[​IMG]

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Oh noes. Im already at 15TB.

Only 9000TB left

[​IMG]

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have 6.4tb written to my 830 128gb, was there endureance done on the 830's?

11. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Pretty amazing drive there. Intel SSD's go read-only when their factory set write limit is reached. I expect these companies to implement a similar practice, as it doesn't make sense business-wise to make a product that could last 600 years.

12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    As i posted "before", almost all data center/large storage info shows ssd's dying because of age, not written data (to chip).

after 3y about 25% of the drives had failing chips and lost and/or corrupted data.

main reason i start replacing my drives after 2y of use (no matter the writes on it).

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Keep in mind, even if you're in the "generous 40GB of writes per day", the larger your drive is, the longer it'll live (SSDs try to balance their write load).

I figure the advertised lifespan is probably to prevent lawsuits due to poor operation conditions. In other words, if you run your SSD in 90C ambient temperature and have it re-write to the exact same cell as fast as it possibly can, I'm sure that cell will probably fail in their advertised time.

14. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    I suspect the drive was in a state of utter unreliability as a normal use drive LONG before it finally got smoked :)

15. Nonehxc

Nonehxc Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti
    Yep. You don't have anything to worry about.

Search for Xtremesystems SSD endurance test, go to first page an scroll down first post a bit until you find a bar graph with a huge red bar. Yep, that's the Samsung 830, running for x6 it's advertised writes.

I remember I was somewhat preoccupied when I bought the Samsung 830 128gb SSD in November 2011 when almost everybody was circlejerking around SSDs life and writes block and read only and HDDs for life(holy mollies, almost 6 years), but then, after following this thread for some weeks, wich was the first SSD Endurance test EVER, all worries went out. Summing up, Samsung 830s are as good as x6 adversited writes in that test. And then after they started using EVO and Pro with different specs(830 series were only 830), the Samsung Pros are pretty much the most reliable and fast consumer SSDs series after series.

I still have it and the only thing that will make part with it will be a Samsung 950 Pro Nvme in 256 gb format which I'm currently eyeing. :p

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

16. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    On my Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) there are around 2.3 TB of data written. Really fast SSD, works great.

http://prntscr.com/fohd2n

17. beta-sama

beta-sama Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS GTX1080Ti WF
    [​IMG]

My 840 Pro :)

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    "A normal office system writes between 10 and 35 GB per day. ""

What is a normal office, that somehow writes that much data per day?

19. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
  20. Uniblab12t

Uniblab12t Guest

GPU:
    Researching...
    Pretty sure hat you can remember back to when a consumer would have had a hard time wraping their head around a terabyte. Now a peta byte is-a-coming, to be an everyday phrase to toss around. Glad you found the article.
    Its always interesting to get hard data from what is still a relatively new technology. I can add this to another -online- test that showed additional impressive life reserves. More than stated, by a significant margin.

Possibly you can help me get my head around what "bytes" written means. I understand the concept. But if I install a game, lets say a terabyte in size, how many "bytes" were written? Better question, using the knowledge that you have about how games are made: textures vs engine vs executables, of the 1Tb game, how many "bytes" would you feel would be written on the loading and playing of said game for an hour?

Info to better get my head around what affects the longevity of an ssd even though its a much more comfortable place since all of the longevity data has come out.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017