Confusing/Mismatch DCS.exe,NvidiaCP>3D Custom Settings

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Gary Palmer, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060,6GB OC
    Sorry no pic attachment allowed so is complicated explaining prob with no pics.

I only have DCS 2.1.1 installed and did have DCS Blackshark1 (old DVD install based game) & DCS1.5.6 sometime ago-long uninstalled.

In past and not currently with NV Control Panel>Manage 3D Settings>Program Settings; if I select Add so as to point to folder path S:\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\bin to aquire the dcs.exe file I want to set for DCS2.1.1 a notification balloon would appear for several seconds where the path will be displayed. Please look at attached pics and specifically: correct path, mismatched entry.jpg to see what I mean. The path is correct but the customizable new entry says: Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark (dcs.exe)
    not: DCS World 2 OpenAlpha (dcs.exe) which would be correct. This is a Nvidia design weakness that will not be solved by doing a clean install of Nvidia graphic driver even if program such as Display Driver Uninstaller-DDU is used to clean out remnants/leftovers of previous graphic drivers. I have done this several times and is no fix that way. It is as I said a DESIGN WEAKNESS on Nvidia's part. However the path is correct so settings can be customized. To make sure you have the 'right' dcs.exe look at the folder path that pops up momentarily with notification balloon I mentioned earlier. Alternatively browse via folder tree to DCS.exe file within installation version of DCS you have installed and select it so is added. If path is correct yet is a mismatched entry such as: Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark (dcs.exe) is still customizable.

DCS does seem to be a game where in game Option>System settings are mostly designed to be game driven not so much Nvidia Control Panel driven. Ever wondered why Nvidia never seem to make a driver specifically designed for DCS World! I have never seen such a driver. I have played many other types of games and many seem to be the opposite; where Nvidia Control Panel customizable settings can make significant difference. For this reason when I install Nvidia driver I do a customized install selecting the driver and PhysX System Software only (essential for game) and just do not bother fiddling around with Nvidia Control Panel customizations as they do not make much difference with this game. Die hard purists who want Nvidia customizations may not agree with me; but I have found based on my own experience it really is not worth all the bother/experimentation with settings for almost no difference or a doubtful difference.

Am hoping a Nvidia developer will see this and fix this long standing problem...Gary

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The NVIDIA control panel profiles are terrible in my experience and long overdue for a revamp (not to mention the control panel itself!).

Have you tried using NVIDIA Inspector? It's is much better in my opinion plus it lets you export the profiles as a .TXT file and edit them with any text editor then reimport them. You might find it a bit more flexible and easier to use than the NVIDIA control panel.

3. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060,6GB OC
    Thanks Darren...I shall check out nvidia inpector. Do you play DCS World? Am asking as I am curious as to which Nvidia Driver version you use with that game?