Just came back to Radeon from Nvidia and worried!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by savannahmick, Jun 25, 2017.

1. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    I sold my old system i7-860 , PNY GTX 1060 and bought a Cyberpower rig with MSI A350M Bazooka, Ryzen 5 1400, 8gb Geil ddr4, and Powercolor RX580. Anyway I can't seem to get anything to run smoothly and don't understand the settings that I can find also can't find many settings either! I have updated everything to new bios and drivers but I still have game studders and 4k videos on YouTube are hitching every 10-15 sec! Also every now and then I have a black screen on the desktop or browser. I am running at 4k except for games that I know the gpu can't handle at that res.. I tried a small OC with MSI AFB like 75 core and 100 mem but it crashed I guess and got a notification that wattman had reset due to a issue. I am beginning to regret my decision to make a switch from Intel\ Nvidia but I do realize that Ryzen is new and gpu isn't the best brand. I have been reading up on the recent post about drivers and can't believe the lack of options in Radeon settings. Anyway is there a setting that I might have on or off that could help? What is HDMI link assurance should it be on or off? What's best gpu scaling or display? Are my only color options Windows calibration? Yipes! I actually have a good bit of experience with computers and can usually get things done but I haven't had a AMD setup since the 5770! Lol! Anyway I would be SO grateful for ANY assistance! Info, advice, or just a point in the right direction! Thanks!

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

16 GB is pretty much a must these days for any computer that you want to play games etc on. What OS are you using?

3. deadinhollywood

deadinhollywood Guest

GPU:
    Aorus RX580XTR 8GB
    8 GB is ok. That's not the problem here.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Did you perform a fresh installation of Windows for the new system?

5. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    Hey thanks for the replies! I am running Win 10 x64 Insider build and yeah I am going to get another stick of 8gb ddr4 Geil Potenza real soon. The rig came with Win 10 x64 on it already but I had to activate it. But I doubt lack of ram is the problem I think it's more than likely a driver or system file corruption. Just wanted to see what else I could or should try before I do a clean install since it's only about 5 days old! I just hope I can get the setup running as good as my 5yr old CPU Mobo was with the gtx1060 and 12gb of ddr3. I bought this setup cause I got it new for $600 for everything it has a nice Phantek tempered glass case, 7200rpm 1tb hdd, and EVGA psu. No SSD but Intel dual band wifi and bluetooth. Any other advice would be great and I appreciate your help!

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I didn't mean 8 GB was the cause, but considering you're gaming, and gaming at 4K and less where necessarily, an extra 8 GB would be greatly beneficial. If you are running the latest drivers, that being 17.6.2 for AMD, along with the latest sound drivers etc, it could be something as simple as internet buffering?...

Try this MSI Util:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmGuHbW3zvrBkuFrRRnP9fq-Q4_rNw

It was made by a member on here, mbk1969. This allows you to set devices to use Message Signaled-Interrupts (new) instead of Line-Based Interrupts (old) on PCI-E devices. You'll find that most devices will already be MSI enabled, however some devices aren't even though they, and their drivers, supports them. Hence the util.

When running it, it must be run with administrator privilages otherwise the list will be empty. You do this by right clicking and selecting 'Run as administrator'. To enabled, check the box next to the device.

I noticed for my Ryzen system none of the PCI Express Port devices were checked. I enabled all of them and I seem to be getting better performance for something (that could be affected by PCI-E transfer rates) so worth a try. Not all devices support this mode, but pretty much now the only thing that doesn't is the AMD HD AUdio bus. The rest of your devices should and most will be checked anyway. No harm in trying :).

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :)
    _________

8. deadinhollywood

deadinhollywood Guest

GPU:
    Aorus RX580XTR 8GB
    This.

9. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Windows insiders (slow and fast) is not for gaming nor phone. I have formatted and re-downloaded 100 games because of Microsoft's BS. They are noobs. Even they accomplished to destroy mobiles sometime this year with wrong upgrade version not mentioning fast ring PC with tons of GSOD. Each 3 versions 2 work one is broken. They lost me and they are losing people with these serious bugs. Losing your data and installation means they are worst than mere beta phase.

The safest way with legit windows / account is Release Preview Ring. That's it :)

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Only if it is not just one 8GB stick.

@savannahmick:
    What is your hard drive configuration? Do you have SSD for OS?
    Does OS use different drive than games/application/data?
    Is that windows 10 clean installation made for new HW?

Did you try to check stuff with LatencyMon?
    Do you have any HW monitoring software running in background?
    Did you install Re-Live feature with GPU driver?
    Do you have swap/hiberfile enabled?

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    If you're using insider builds, you're using beta-quality software.

Expect problems. You're running insider builds to help microsoft beta test their software. You are not running insider because you expect a solid, smooth experience.

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I highly recommend redoing your installation using standard Windows 10 CU. Stay off of Insider builds, especially with new hardware. They are still ironing out issues introduced with WDDM 2.2

13. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This comment is legitimate proof that you are the noob.

14. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    Hey everyone thanks!

I appreciate the advice, info, and help! I am going to try the MSI utility and no I haven't used the latency monitor but I will. I realize that the insider preview isn't ideal and I should have left the install alone. I didn't have any issues other than a few small bugs with prev. Intel/Nvidia setup but like Chasity stated this is really new hardware so I believe a new clean install is in order but might have wait until next weekend! Yes I did install Re-Live and that is the little things I want to learn what to do and not to do with AMD/Radeon cause I know each brand has tweaks like no 3d driver install and turn off HDMI audio with 4k using Nvidia. And yes I have MSI AFB installed with Rivatuner. I just did edit the reg to disable ULPS. Also which driver are most of you using and how do you not install Re-Live? Thanks a million times over for the help!

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then Check Re-Live, and if you are not planning to use it, do not install it. It is not necessary and does not do anything good for you unless you actively use it.
    While using custom driver install, it will ask you at the end if you want it, simply skip it.

@TimmyP: He's no noob. I am in insider program from start. 1st time I was forced to reinstall was due to build which could not be reverted. That build had life expectancy after boot around 30 seconds, then display stopped refreshing and then full freeze. I spent several hours trying everything, and that build had another magic. Booting in recovery, you have to log in as Administrator. But there Start menu was inaccessible because windows itself complained that it should not be used in elevated rights mode...
    2nd time I had to reinstall system was simple new build which killed itself directly by messing all access rights, TrustedInstaller took over everything. There's nothing to recover from this as you have and can't have clue what rights should be on each file, nor you have year to fix it.

Lucky me, I have one SSD for OS and few games, most of my stuff sits on other SSD + HDDs. But still remains true, that MS simply pushes into insider program builds which may choke anything. Especially on fast ring. That's reason I moved to slow. Since then issues are only minor.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Is the memory in that system a single stick or 2 sticks? Memory has a rather large effect on Ryzen performance.

17. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Well then I should put my PhD into recycle bin to be a pure ecologist. I cannot tolerate amateurism at any level. It takes me ages to rebuild my system with an ISP providing me less than 24Mbps connection. GTFO. Keep being Microsoft's Guinea pig.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Don't mind him. He's nothing but a troll.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    +1 on potential Insider build issue.

Also get more & faster ram, 2x 8GB 3200MHZ.

20. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Besides the insider build, which shouldn't be used if you just want smooth operation and minimal troubleshooting, you could check the Bios version.
    And maybe look up a forum topic on your motherboard and read to find out if maybe some bios settings need to be adjusted?
    And you said you're gonna get an other stick of ram, so you are running on one ram stick at the moment?? That would mean you're only running single channel DDR mode, that's probably limiting you CPU's performance below you old CPU. Not that it should cause those problems you stated, just a waste of potential performance.