TV or Monitor... whats best overall for consoles?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by drac, Jun 25, 2017.

?

TV or Monitor... what's considered best overall for consoles?

1. TV

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Monitor

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    So I've been getting into console gaming (just Switch at the moment, PS4 probably later).

Thing is I can't decide which is the better option. I think image quality is no.1 then input lag (a very close second) and thirdly, minimal motion/screen blur.

Some additional features I'm looking for in a screen are;
    • HDR and Quantum dot (maybe, depends on price and if available in 32")
    • 2x HDMI, 1x DP or 3x HDMI
    • Size of 32"
    • IPS or equivalent panel (pref. not VA)

Thoughts? What's my best option here, a PC monitor or a TV? :3eyes:

Looking at screen blur, is there even any benefit in this regard to getting more than 60hz for consoles?

Does 4k upscaling in TV's for any 1080p console (particularly Nintendo Switch), improve things enough to be worth it?

Input lag Monitor vs TV, is it really that noticeable?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    TV.
    Not sure about upscaling, but input lag using a console generally is not an issue.
    Plus it is far cheaper to get a large quality 4K TV than it is to get a quality monitor

Edit: also most TVs nowadays have some sort of motion enhance feature to eliminate blur

3. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    The motion enhancements for TVs are DSP and therefore introduce input lag. TVs do usually have game modes that turn all the input lag causing features off though.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    How would TV signal delay not be an issue when using a console that already has gobs of frame-rendering lag on top? It would be even worse. The point is to cut down on total input lag, not act like it's so high that it doesn't matter anymore. In that regard, the fastest TVs, to my knowledge, come at 18ms, which, at that, is unacceptable for a PC monitor. PC monitors go as low as 1-3ms signal delay (it's likely that measuring lower is what's difficult).

Those HAVE to be turned off when playing any video game as they interpolate frames and add motion artifacts and input lag. That is aside from how motion looks, whereby it seems to speed up and slow down as the interpolation algorithm is able to interpolate then not.

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    OK so it looks like TV it is according to ya'll. Will settle for 1080p for now.

4k doesn't exist at 32 inch so it seems, which is just weird? :bang:

Really wanted a Samsung UN32J6300, as this is highly rated. But can't find one online to buy.

Which would be better out of the UA32M5500 and UA32K5500? It seems the K model is the older one and also cheaper.

6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    TV - you get all the options you want for a better price with a bigger screen. For some reason, I find 4K monitors expensive compared to the TV sets.

Its not like any console will even go over 60 Hz, let alone 30 Hz.

You can get a 40". It is not that big you will get used to it. Just sit back an extra few inches.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    *delete*

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Switching from a monitor with a 2ms response to a TV with 35ms is noticable. But you can get used to it.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    He said nothing about using it as a PC monitor. I can't think of a single Nintendo Switch game which he said that will be its use, where input lag would be an issue.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    When I'm playing a game on a console (or even at times on the PC), I'd rather be sat on my couch with my nice big Tv over being sat right in front of my monitor. If I'm doing something competitive sure, the monitor is the way to go. If I'm playing a single player RPG or something I'll take the couch and screen size.

I agree with the above poster who recommended getting something larger than 32" though. You generally don't pay a whole lot more for a 40-42" screen. I'd recommend against going for the latest and greatest also, the cost of the newest screens tends to be ridiculous compared to a gen or two ago that are near identical in practical use.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Monitors are best for motion clarity and input lag.

TVs are best for size and distance (console games have low FOV; on a monitor this can be an issue.)

12. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    TVs usually are quite poor at text... this is what makes a lot of TVs pretty much worthless as monitors.

13. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    What's the difference between a monitor and a TV? I thought a TV was just a monitor with some tuner/guts bundled with it?

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Get a TV. There is a slight lag noticeable if you switch between tv and monitor as others have mentioned but I don't play multiplayer so it never has been an issue. For my PC (big picture mode) I use PC mode in the input selection and game mode for the PS4.

K & M denote the year of manufacture. Get whatever suits your budget.

15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    TV...so you won't notice those console low res textures and jaggies as much from far away :p

Joking aside, TV, lay back and enjoy a console from the couch on a big screen. That's the way to game on one!

16. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    If you go the TV route, I would suggest looking for a HDR one.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Only if you dont set them up right.
    You need 4:4:4 colour quality to prevent smearing.
    And you may need to turn off overscan.
    ps using a TV to write this with perfect text :)

TVs have another advantage if you dont have light problems, glossy screen.
    Colours are much nicer and blacks are deeper.

18. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Sometimes I don't know what to make of glossy TV screens. Sometimes it can be nice, sometimes I've found it makes the perceptual view of the gamma far too high.

It took me a while measuring one TV to find a nice gamma, even though I had it measured at 2.2, it really looked like the high end of 2.3. Had to settle for 2.1 to make it look more natural what you'd expect for 2.2 in a somewhat lit room/daylight.

I actually prefer semi gloss TV displays. Has that balance between rich and natural without it looking like a mirror. Not that I suffer mirror problems with the room lighting unless the rooms are drenched in sunlight.

Computer displays for some reason I prefer matte screens.

I'd love to have an OLED TV with Moth Eye.