Review: Intel Core i9 7900X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us as we take the hottest processor of this moment for a test-spin. yes, the 10-core Core i9 7900X. Despite many announcements this is the most versitile (in cores) processor has got to offer for...

Review: Intel Core i9 7900X processor

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Damn it's quick, I'll give 'em that, but is it worth the cost?

It's marginally faster than an 1800X, which is half the price. The ONLY advantage I can see this having is the ability to OC individual cores higher than the whole lot. This is the sole reason I've not bought into Ryzen yet, I want dynamic overclocking.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    So looks like the 4.3Ghz rumors were bunk. However holy s*it batman that power consumption. This product definitely looks rushed. Saying Intel hit the panic button may turn out to be true.

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    I have a feeling that TR will just crush this to oblivion , did you see that power consumption... JUST DAMN

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Even at stock frequencies the power consumption was through the roof. Then overclocked no real noticeable improvement in performance that Hilbert shows in the benches he ran. The power went up even further. There is no way anyone should attempt to run one of these on air (not even a D15).

If TR has improved gaming performance with the increased bandwidth it will definitely be the winner all around.

Just wish they would make a 8 core SR3 CPU. I don't really need a 10 or 12 core.

6. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    This one looks great!
    Intel haters, just go, ok, there's nothing for you here.

Can't wait for a proper >10 core CPU from Intel, with a rumoured mesh topology (versus ring, which probably is powering this 10-core part).

Hilbert, there are some... references to Ryzen CPU in review... not comparison, but wording like "Directly connected to four PCIe lanes on the Ryzen"... it is not the only instance.

7. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Whats up with the DDR4 write speeds, that was in the other reviews too... there a chipset bug on it right now or something? because read seems fine, scaling as it should be write is doing worse :/

Beyond that it seems like an amazing chips, the heat levels worry me however. if i'm looking at this correctly even on Liquid cooling its reaching into the 80's with no overclock and well past 90 with an overclock.... anyone got some spare liquid nitrogen?

8. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-11.html

for the love of the Planet.. check this out... wth did Intel do?

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think threadripper going to be a better buy than this - I'm still interested in the 8 core though.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    All three other commenters in this thread so far are i7 users. This launch is a mess.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Remember people - the 6950X has a base clock of 3.0 and a turbo of 3.5. The 7900X has a base of 3.3 and a turbo of 4.3. That's a BIG difference. The 7900X (especially when overclocked) is undoubtedly very fast but it's not leaps and bounds better than what has already been out there.

Those watt numbers are crazy, but hey, at least now the 8-pin CPU connectors are actually put to good use. Honestly though, I don't think a single connector is going to be enough for the bigger i9s.

12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
  13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  14. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    If effect the temps not the power consumption the german guy did it and the temp went down 15 degrees BUT the power consumption OH man...

told you that Intel messed up with the so soldered cpu-s

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How is no one else reporting this? Like every single review I've read says the processor runs hot as hell and it's essentially uncoolable on air when overclocked.

The bigger issue to me is that these BIOS's are basically shutting down all the power ramping stuff because it's having problems detecting the correct voltages/speeds on games. These things are shipping in a few weeks - Intel should have fixed this months ago, not two days before the review NDA.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Power consumption should lower with temp due to leakage. Got a link to De8aurs article on the delid? I'm at work and it's a paint to find anything around their firewall.

17. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Actually given Tom HW they tested it @ 100 degrees :D

18. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    [​IMG]

very nice.... winter is coming soon anyhow :D

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    -nevermind, already answered.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Is AVX enabled or disabled on this? A lot of these sites are using P95 and not saying whether AVX is enabled or not.. it's going to heavily effect the power consumption when AVX is enabled.

I haven't seen people mention it much with CPU's but Anandtech talked about it in their article with the Fury X. Cooling the CPU reduces leakage and thus reduces power consumption by a bit. They never measured how much though, just mentioned that it's a known property of how the chips operate.