Driver issues since 17.4.2 (On two different systems and video cards)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by KyleStilkey, Jun 16, 2017.

1. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Hey all,
    I've been experiencing issues on two different systems running two different generations of graphics cards from AMD and I'm looking to see if this is driver related or something that might be causing a conflict with them.

First, my two systems are

My PC
    Crosshair VI Hero (Bios 1401)
    AMD R7 1700x (3.8Ghz)
    AMD RX 580 8GB Sapphire Nitro +
    16GB (2x8) DDR4 G.Skill RGB Trident 2400Mhz
    Samsung EVO 960 250GB (NVME)
    2 3TB (Seagate+WD) 1 Samsung 1TB (All 7200RPM)
    Rosewill Lightning 1300W PSU
    3 Monitors (1 24" 1080p 60Hz HDMI 1 27" DVI) (1 27" 1440p 144Hz 1ms FreeSync)

Wife's PC
    Crosshair V Formula Z (Bios 2201)
    AMD FX 8350 (4.4Ghz)
    AMD R9 290 4GB Sapphire OC
    16GB (2x8) DDR3 G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
    Samsung EVO 850 250GB (SATA)
    1 1TB Seagate
    Thermaltake 750W PSU
    1 Monitor 24" 1080p 60Hz HDMI

Now the issue I've been having with all the drivers since 17.4.2 is that the system freezes and is slow with responses. It seems to mostly affect Universal Apps the most but some apps don't seem to have as much of an issue while others do. This issue causes the mouse the freeze (I believe it's the screen failing to render/update and not really the mouse freezing) and resizing/alt+tabbing to be very slow.

I captured a video of it in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tslGuIGTueY (Note I recorded this on the insider build but I've tested it on both machines on the latest Creators Update builds/patches and the same results)

The biggest issue with this, is if I get a notification through the action center, this can cause my game to freeze while playing making it even more frustrating. Now with my 290 I can drop back to the 17.4.1 drivers and the issue is gone, sadly, with the 580 I can't as the first drivers released were the 17.4.2 where I started experiencing this issue. Now using the built in Windows Basic Display Drivers, the issue doesn't happen either just as an experiment I tried.

Things I have tried
    Fresh install of Windows
    Installing with and without Relive
    Resetting Bios to Default Values
    DDU Drivers
    Raising Power limits to 50%
    Having Windows on High Performance (Always is)
    FreeSync on and off (Wife's computer has no FreeSync)
    Tested all drivers from 17.4.2 -17.6.2

So I'm at a lost and I'm looking for help to see what could be causing this, if it's a software related issue I'm not thinking of or if in fact this is a driver issue. Any help would be thankful!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    You definitely should not be having that issue with either of these builds.

Grasping at straws here but:
    Have you installed the motherboard drivers?
    Updated the Bios?

It's very, very odd that both builds are having the same issue?

You did not indicate the make and model for the motherboards used in these builds.

3. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Look to the left for my current build, the wife's PC's a ASUS Crosshair Formula Z both running the latest bios and yes motherboard drivers and chipsets.

17.4.1 don't have this issue, it all started when they released 4.2 and supported the creators update. Dropping to 4.1 on the 290 works great, but anything beyond that is having issues and it's very annoying when it happens in games.

Update: I updated the original post with the motherboards and bios. I will also create a video on my wife's PC since I can show the exact issue happening better.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Stick with Drivers before WDDM 2.2
    Also try 17.1.2 WHQL Feb6

Ofcourse when new drivers comes online -> try them, just hit upgrade/custom/install in ATI Setup
    no Fresh/no DDU

5. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Is there any 3rd party software running on both systems?

I have no such issues on R9 290 with 17.6.1 and I never experienced something like this.

//Just noticed that both MBs are from ASUS. Do you have some ASUS utility installed?

6. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Already do this, I posted that I've tried DDU/Fresh installs just to be 100% sure it's not an issue with the install method. How do you expect me to install those on my 580 system? 17.4.1 work completely fine, it's 17.4.2 that they added WDDM 2.2 support and that's when the issues started to happen and sadly that's the first release drivers for the 500 series.

The issue is I'm unable to have a good experience with my 580.

7. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    No utilities running, only one is my ASUS ARUR to control the color, but my wife's PC only has Razer Synapse, Samsung Magician and Malwarebytes running for third party software and still experiences the same issues.

8. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    I want to also thank the people here who have jumped in and are trying to figure this one out, already better suggestions on here than on Reddit and AMD's forums.

9. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    I don't really think this is driver related. Something else have to causing this.

Have you checked processes if there are some spikes in CPU usage for some process?

10. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    It's not a CPU usage issue, if I can drop back to the 17.4.1 drivers and not have this issue, it's clearly something with the drivers or something has changed with the drivers that some software is causing issues.

Yes to be sure I've checked, CPU doesn't show any issues on both systems.

Also Windows GAME MODE is OFF.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I would certainly check for any memory leaks of a driver or application. Also, what are your virtual memory settings?

12. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Virtual Memory is set to Windows Default, I don't manually change it nor should it be changed.

No memory leaks at all either, Memory usage is just fine.

Someone over on Reddit's Sub forum has posted a possible solution and I will report back if this fixes it or not. I'll let you all know as soon as I get home and can test it.

Sadly his suggestion didn't work, he said he was having the same issue and changing the Frequency in Wattman to Dynamic fixed it for him, but nothing changed.

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Seems like a conflict to me, have you tried the format solution?

14. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    This makes no sense how two different setups are having the same issues?

Have you installed Direct X?

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-82AF-AD2AE20B6B14/directx_Jun2010_redist.exe < Link to direct download.

Any devices showing in trouble in Device Manager?

To make sure you have the latest device drivers, I use " Snappy Driver Installer ". I highly recommend this program.
    I prefer using the " Full Version " which is a 12GB download from this location:

https://sdi-tool.org/download/

or

https://sdi-tool.org/releases/ < Download the " R1751 " file and run the client that will then download from the Torrent servers. This is the method I use.

Once downloaded, you may run the program on any Windows computer and it will scan your configuration and indicate which devices are able to be updated.

You can run the " Lite version " however it will need to download the device drivers before they can be installed. Since you are only downloading the device drivers for your computer, the download size is considerably smaller.

Both versions download their files from torrent servers.

Keep us updated.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  15. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    I get the freezing mouse as well in somewhat different occasions....I have noticed when i start watching a video the mouse will freeze for a couple seconds...I dont recall having it happen in a game yet...but i can say before getting my rx580 it never happened before.

16. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Have you done a clean install without loading all your daily programs? Two different builds with the exact same problems....there has to be a conflict with something else. I would start over and see if a fresh install with NO other programs loaded have the same problem. No malwarebytes, no magician, no razer synapse etc. See if you have the same problems with just a simple and basic fresh install and then slowly load up your programs and see which one is the culprit.

My .02 cents

17. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Yes I do have the latest Drivers installed for devices and I have used that program recently to check and it came back with 0 new updates.

I also reinstalled the DirectX through the method you asked and nothing changed, I already have done this too as I tend to check this method if I'm having an issue with games.

Having it happen on two systems is what's throwing me off too, drives me nuts but if I drop to 17.4.1 the issue is gone, same with the basic drivers from Windows doesn't present this issue.

18. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    If you read the post you would know the answer to that.

19. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    I know people are experiencing this when watching videos but this is straight from a fresh reboot with almost nothing running and I can still reproduce it.

20. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Already have, but I'm going to first try doing this through the Clean Boot method, only have Windows startup with the bar basics and go from there, see if the issue is gone with a clean boot and if not I'll try another refresh with 0 installs and just the AMD drivers. Maybe we can hit something.

EDIT: Clean Boot nothing changed, and I did a fresh install on my wife's PC and gave it a test, no difference. I'm at a loss here.

Update 2: I'm going to create a Media Install of the Anv. Update (1607) and test that out, see if maybe the WDM 2.2 change could be the cause, anything at this point is worth a shot.

Update 3: I'm on 1607 with 0 issues on 17.6.2 drivers :D So before I start to install anything, I'm going to upgrade to 1703 (Creators Update) and see if the issue starts, if not I will go one software at a time and test.

Update 4: I may have to test it in the morning/sometime later tomorrow, but so far with the latest updates to 1607 and all the store apps, no problems. 1703 is downloading and will be installing in about 10 mins so if you don't get another update in the next 30 mins, I will update you all tomorrow on my findings. I hope everything works out on 1703 now and I can find the cause.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017