A game is so big -Huge take life time to end it.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sunnyp_343, Jun 14, 2017.

1. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    i just finished Zelda bOTW and i thought its biggest map in RPG till now.And when i searched on google a game came on top for biggest map till now in RPG and for any game.Elder scrolls 2 daggerfall.I never played this game because it came in 1996 and i wasnt in to RPG till later.Map size of this game is 65000 sq miles.Means it is 2000 times bigger than Skyrim.Holy ****.It has 15000 villages,cities and 15000 dungeons.OMG.It will take years to finish if do each missions.

I didnt played yet but will give a try.Only thing will hold me back old Pixel graphics or
    compatebility for win 7.Its free to download at bathesda website.
    Theres a youtube video where a guy traveling one region border to border in super fast time it took him 6 minutes and theres more than 2 dozen region.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. Karl

Karl Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 3070
    You should check this http://www.dfworkshop.net/. Recreation of Daggerfall in the Unity engine. Runs using a free install of Daggerfall.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Daggerfall's map was procedurally generated. So that doesn't really count. No Man's Sky would win in that case, since its universe is practically infinite. And even a single planet in NMS is much, much, MUCH (all the much) larger than the BOTW world. And that's just one planet; there's gazillions of planets in NMS.

This also applies to other procedural generation games. They have been around for decades now.

BOTW has a very large, hand crafted map. One of the biggest. I don't think it's fair to compare that to procedurally generated worlds :p

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Daggerfall was good. I have fond memories of taking off all my characters clothing and then using a sledgehammer or other large melee weapon and breaking down people's house doors at night.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Daggerfalls placement is procedural but the map actually does allow for the player to walk from one end to another unlike TES1: Arena where at most you'd find a dungeon somewhere outside the town gates. :D

Even with the hundreds of locations in each zone in TES2: Daggerfall though it's unlikely you'd come across much by just randomly walking about, fast traveling is pretty much mandatory.

I did actually try one time, set the game to super-speed debug mode and just run from one end of the map to another, takes forever and it's kinda pointless since there's not much you'll come across in the wilderness areas.

I did happen upon a city eventually, dungeons are basically single buildings with a lone door and towns are usually pretty small but the bigger walled cities are a bit more easy to spot though the view distance of the game is pretty abysmal due to it's age and the game also has several stability problems so if you try to strain the engine by walking around it might cause a crash or two ha ha.

As for big maps in video games the Just Cause 2 and Just Cause 3 maps are up there although the surrounding water is factored into the reported 1000 sq km2 size total too.

Witcher 3 has a pretty impressive size to it as well, split between different zones but even the White Orchard starting area has some size to it and the map was expanded a bit with Heart of Stone and then a new zone was introduced with Blood and Wine.

Even more impressive with the attention to detail the developers put into the world design from roads and plants to other clutter and then towns and what not, game world really feels believable and alive or how to say even if it might not be perfect. (IE Novigrad has a severe lack of interior areas.) But I was still really impressed by it. :)

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Procedurally generated worlds = boring in my book. Sorry, but while procedural generation can help enhance a game world, say, by placing rocks, mountains, grass and trees, the problem with games like the underwhelming No Man's Sky is that everything ultimately ends up looking the same. And with that game you see the same planets, buildings and lifeforms recycled with colour palette swaps. It just makes exploration tedious and pointless IMO. Smaller, more hand crafted worlds are definitely far more interesting. Bigger isn't necessarily better, especially if most of it is generated on a set of random variables. Another example is the Just Cause series, which all have large worlds but in the case of the third game every town ends up looking the same and there's a lack of variety despite its size.

7. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080

I will try Unity Version but i played normal version but fck it is unplayable for me because of ****ty controls its like playing pac man in 3d.Moving sword is the most pain in the ass like u playing Ninja fruit on android and u have to move ur finger through screen same here in Daggerfall with mouse but ur sword wont work 9 out of 10 time.Fck control is horrible