Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

View Poll Results: Do you hate Microphones in MP?
Can't stand them! 22 40.00%
Love them! 6 10.91%
Indifferent! 20 36.36%
Stop gaming old man! Find a nice rocking chair and stare at your lawn. 7 12.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Am I the only one that feels Mics have ruined MP gaming?
Old
  (#1)
SerotoNiN
Maha Guru

Videocard: nVidia GTX 1070 8GB
Processor: Intel i5 6600k @3.5GHZ
Mainboard: MSI G1 Gaming Board
Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200 G.Skill
Soundcard: SB X-FI MB3
PSU: CoolerMaster 700-Watt 52A
Default Am I the only one that feels Mics have ruined MP gaming? - 06-13-2017, 15:52 | posts: 2,014 | Location: Chicago

Hear me out. I come from a time when you typed what you wanted to say in a chat box whilst playing a game. The dreaded chewing gum and walking at the same time scenario us old guys were able to accomplish. I know the younger generation that has always had microphones might not understand the gripe here, but does anyone else steer clear of MP games these days due to mics?

I can't stand hearing 12 year olds talk trash. It not only forcibly teaches me slang but also shows me how dumb the world is getting with their grammar.

"Most games let you mute the mic"

Yep. And most of those games kick me for not participating with a mic if that option is available to them.

I don't expect mics to go anywhere. I'm just saying, does anyone beside me prefer a nice quiet chat? Multitasking. Enjoying a brief "gg" or "lol". Or even an assholish "pwned "

This of course, is in addition to the lack of originality in MP gaming and tons of other aspects we can argue about. I'm focusing strictly on the communication aspect.

Giving gamers the mic to me, is a game ruined, in the same way they started giving rpg characters voice overs. I understand them with evolving gaming, I just hate them.

Old
  (#2)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GT 840M
Processor: I5 4210M 3.2GHz
Mainboard: -
Memory: DD3L 8G
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster
PSU: -
Default 06-13-2017, 15:56 | posts: 4,852

PC gamers tend to be more muture than their console couterparts. Depending on the game of course. With Console almost every multiplayer game has the mic enabled by default. No push to talk. I've heard random chatter that has nothing to do with the game countless time. Now the first time I do with mute or turn off the mic options.

Old
  (#3)
SerotoNiN
Maha Guru

Default 06-13-2017, 16:00 | posts: 2,014 | Location: Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
PC gamers tend to be more muture than their console couterparts. Depending on the game of course. With Console almost every multiplayer game has the mic enabled by default. No push to talk. I've heard random chatter that has nothing to do with the game countless time. Now the first time I do with mute or turn off the mic options.
I remember the day I gave it up. I was playing someone in a game of Madden 2013 on xbox 360 and I know this is going to sound made up. But I swear to you, first, it was a guy talking ghetto and acting hard. On his mic, complaining I wasn't talking (this was before I found this sort of thing super annoying and used to listen to them bicker out of entertainment). We get about a third of the way through the game and I can hear him..he sounded like a damn kid himself, I can hear him start yelling at his kid and slapping him, then I could hear the kid start crying and saying "daddy, what'd I do" and his response was "don't walk in front of the tv while I'm playing"

I left the game and never played with a mic enabled again. Muted or booted. That was it.

Old
  (#4)
Grimbarian
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire AMD RX480 8gb
Processor: AMD FX8350 @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: MSI Krait 970A Sli
Memory: G.Skill 16GB DDR3 2133MHZ
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DG
PSU: Corsair CS850M 850W Gold
Default 06-13-2017, 16:03 | posts: 937 | Location: On the way to Portugal!

I voted "Stop gaming old man! Find a nice rocking chair and stare at your lawn." I'd also apply that to myself but for me it's "Stop MP gaming old man! Find nice singleplayer games that you can enjoy without the other morons in the world peeing you off".

Old
  (#5)
the9quad
Maha Guru

Videocard: 1080ti MSI Gaming-X
Processor: i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth X79
Memory: 32GB G.SkillTridentX 2400
Soundcard: ASUS XONAR DGX/Sennheiser
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 1200W
Default 06-13-2017, 16:06 | posts: 837 | Location: Carolina Beach, North Carolina

I dont know man, I been using mics since like 2001. Makes it hard to play team based MP games without one. In fact it irritates me when people dont have them in games like BF or R6:Siege.

I imagine in 1v1 MP games a mic is annoying, but lets be honest there hasn't been a good 1v1 MP game since the Quake3/UT days.

So in one aspect I agree with you, but given todays MP landscape I think people without mics are the problem and not the ones using mics.

Old
  (#6)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GeForce GTX 970
Processor: I7-4930
Mainboard: Asus p9x79
Memory: G Skill RipjawZ, 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard + FiiO E17
PSU: 1000 W
Default 06-13-2017, 16:13 | posts: 3,451 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Last time I played MP were Unreal, Quake and HL deathmatches with colleagues sitting in the same room.
As I don`t get all the modes of MP in nowadays games and as I don`t want to play with unknown people I don`t play them at all.
And seeing chaotic gameplay from behind the shoulder of BF players I can`t understand the appeal.
Sorry for off topic.

Old
  (#7)
SerotoNiN
Maha Guru

Default 06-13-2017, 16:17 | posts: 2,014 | Location: Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbarian View Post
I voted "Stop gaming old man! Find a nice rocking chair and stare at your lawn." I'd also apply that to myself but for me it's "Stop MP gaming old man! Find nice singleplayer games that you can enjoy without the other morons in the world peeing you off".
Been mainly single playering it up for years now But after this years E3, seeing a lot of MP based stuff...it made me bring this subject up to see how many feel like I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post
I dont know man, I been using mics since like 2001. Makes it hard to play team based MP games without one. In fact it irritates me when people dont have them in games like BF or R6:Siege.

I imagine in 1v1 MP games a mic is annoying, but lets be honest there hasn't been a good 1v1 MP game since the Quake3/UT days.

So in one aspect I agree with you, but given todays MP landscape I think people without mics are the problem and not the ones using mics.
And I can understand that. But I don't play team based games. They're extremely boring to me and people on your team go into huge fits of rage at you for screwing up one time. Like..no one is chill and realizes it's just a game in those things anymore. "*&^$ING N00B WHAT ARE YOU DOING? JESUS CAN WE BOOT THIS GUY? OMG!"

Sorry I have a life and don;t jump into a game until a year after it's release and am not an expert.

I will say the Division was the last game I did play MP, as I had to. And it was nice. Typically a quiet experience even though it was team based. And people didn't get all pissed if you made a mistake. It was enjoyable. Then ubisoft banned me for cheating when I absolutely did not. And I didn't have the interest or energy to call/email and figure it out, so it got uninstalled.

Then I started playing this Quake Champions beta a few weeks ago and enjoyed how quiet it was. Ah. Yes. The good ol' days.

Old
  (#8)
AndreasGuido
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 970
Processor: Core i7 6700k @ 4.2GHz
Mainboard: Asus Z170-A
Memory: Corsair 8GB DDR4-3000
Soundcard: Integrated 5.1
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W
Default 06-13-2017, 16:19 | posts: 4,841 | Location: Riga, LV/Bristol, UK

It all depends on the platform, crowd and game. Nothing better than playing comp OW and getting a group of guys who do simple phrases - behind, xxx is low, ult is almost ready etc. Some games dont need mic at all, if you play with mates use mumble or something like that.

Old
  (#9)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 06-13-2017, 16:21 | posts: 4,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbk1969 View Post
Last time I played MP were Unreal, Quake and HL deathmatches with colleagues sitting in the same room.
As I don`t get all the modes of MP in nowadays games and as I don`t want to play with unknown people I don`t play them at all.
And seeing chaotic gameplay from behind the shoulder of BF players I can`t understand the appeal.
Sorry for off topic.
My first PC gaming experience was 5 player LAN on Unreal Tournament so I know what you mean. You can't replicate something like that with unknown people sitting miles away.

Old
  (#10)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1070 SC
Processor: 2600k@4.8 w/ NH-D15S
Mainboard: P8Z77-V
Memory: G-Skills ddr3 16GB@1866
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Z
PSU: TX850
Default 06-13-2017, 16:27 | posts: 8,156 | Location: FLA,USA

This is why the party system was so great in XBox. I could just talk with my friends while playing a game and not hear the social rejects that at like badasses online.

Old
  (#11)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GeForce GTX 970
Processor: I7-4930
Mainboard: Asus p9x79
Memory: G Skill RipjawZ, 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard + FiiO E17
PSU: 1000 W
Default 06-13-2017, 16:28 | posts: 3,451 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
My first PC gaming experience was 5 player LAN on Unreal Tournament so I know what you mean. You can't replicate something like that with unknown people sitting miles away.
Yeah, you need no Mic to taunt a guy in the same room. -)

Old
  (#12)
Emille
Master Guru

Videocard: 1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
Processor: 6700k 4.6ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800mhz C14
Soundcard: Monitor Audio
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 06-13-2017, 16:47 | posts: 587

My first online gaming experience was Left 4 Dead 1....I had enjoyed counterstrike an matches and bot matches...mostly offline but after they made the playing as zombies part online only I thought I'd give it a go. I rember playing and almost everyone playing was some squawking 13 year old....some british teenager basicalling having an autistic screeching fit because wouldn't follow his commands.....because reasons.

I have always hated online games because of that...and have no interest in being involved in playing a game where I have to hear the voices of others.

If players were just another person on the map it would be much more bearable.

But the argument that you cN just mute the mic doesn't make sense because people exclusively rely on audible commands to organise their gameplay, then headsets were not a factor they observed their team by sight. If you were playing a game with the mic muted your team would pay you no mind and you would suck as you wouldn't know what specific thing needed to be done.

Old
  (#13)
pimp_gimp
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
Processor: Core i7-3770k 4.5Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Premium
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 06-13-2017, 17:26 | posts: 6,570 | Location: Tacoma, Washington

The last time I had any sort of MP based gaming was a night playing Ghost Recon Wildlands. It wasn't so bad, because the dudes we connected to actually played (and worked with us) to complete the mission we were working on. At the same time, I don't really enjoy MP the way I used to as much of it has moved from dedicated servers to Matchmaking, which can be a pain to set up private lobbies.

Old
  (#14)
Darkest
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD7950
Processor: i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77 D3H
Memory: HyperX Beast 16GB 2133
Soundcard: Aune T1 + HD650/DT990 Pro
PSU: XFX 750w Silver
Default 06-13-2017, 17:33 | posts: 10,009

I tend to disable in game voice and chat in the majority of games I play, people rarely have anything of worth to say and I couldn't give a shat about the opinions of randoms.

I do use voice comms in a number of games, but only with people I already know to some degree and never directly through the game itself.

Old
  (#15)
Mr_ALLroy
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX1080 Ti Gaming X
Processor: Intel i7-6700k @4.6
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: CMD32GX4M2B3000C15
Soundcard: Soundblaster Zx
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Default 06-13-2017, 17:45 | posts: 1,961 | Location: Calgary Canada®

Squading up in BF games or R6 Siege, real-time coordination with a squad and dominating a match is a huge rush for me. I voted "Love them". Honestly, I find more trolling in chat boxes than mics. I only play PC games so I'm not sure about the troll/mic scene in consoles.

Old
  (#16)
Kaarme
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 390
Processor: i5 6600K
Mainboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Memory: HyperX DDR4 16GB
Soundcard: Lead Audio LA-100 DAC
PSU: EVGA G2 750W
Default 06-13-2017, 17:57 | posts: 690 | Location: Finland

I only play MP with a bunch of friends I've known for years. The first times we played online, computers only had a single core, and we used a tiny program called Picophone for communications to minimise the impact on system resources.

I'd say it's half the fun to keep cracking jokes and such with friends while playing. Even when we play Arma, we just keep doing whatever we want, and there's not a single person among us who would take things too seriously. Rather, if someone screws up, it's a source of laughs for everybody. That's how gaming should be: entertainment. People who appreciate a rocking chair are probably much better gamers attitude wise than angry brats.

Old
  (#17)
akbaar
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.6
Mainboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT
Memory: 32gb G.SKILL 3200 CL14 1T
Soundcard: SupremeFX Impact III
PSU: Corsair AX760i
Default 06-13-2017, 18:44 | posts: 220 | Location: Middle East Region

i never met a 12 year old on discrod . they are all around my age which is 25-35 old

Old
  (#18)
jbmcmillan
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
Processor: i5 2500k@4.4 GHZ.
Mainboard: Asus P8 z77 vl-k
Memory: Gskill 2x4GB 1600 DDR3
Soundcard: Onboard realtek
PSU: OCZ 1000 watt Z series
Default 06-13-2017, 19:06 | posts: 2,250 | Location: Langley,B.C. Canada

I mute voice chat a lot of time it's some douche that wants to play his music constantly then I mute them and then some other guy yelling all the way through mute him.It ends up I've muted at least half of them so I just mute them all now. I'm older so it might be an age thing.

Old
  (#19)
Amaze
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 970 G1 1550/7800
Processor: Intel 2500K @4.5
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Soundcard: O2+ODAC
PSU: Coolermaster v700
Default 06-13-2017, 19:18 | posts: 2,188 | Location: Norway

The microphone is not the problem, it's the people.

Old
  (#20)
WareTernal
Member Guru

Videocard: XFX R9 380X XXX
Processor: i5-2500k@4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Intel DP67DE
Memory: 16GB KVR@1600Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek ALC892
PSU: Corsair TX650
Default 06-13-2017, 19:21 | posts: 84 | Location: San Paro

I'm totally with OP. Disabling VOIP is always one of my first moves.

I find that most people are not capable of conveying accurate and useful information in a timely manner. Instead of info like "Enemy spotted north of blue tower!", you get useless info like "F@&%! That c*$# sucker shot me!"

For me, VOIP is ruining new games. In games like DayZ and Ark:Survival Evlovled, there are good VOIP mechanics built in to the games. Both games let you use your mic to talk to players that are nearby in-game. Both games have in-game radios that allow you to talk to distant players. Many players use 3rd party VOIP to circumvent the in-game communication mechanics. This is no different then using 3rd party software to circumvent the in-game aiming mechanics. I would support anti-cheat software blacklisting 3rd party VOIP apps, and treating players that use them just like other cheaters.

I can't get four people together on VOIP without listening to someone's TV in the background, or kids yelling, or heavy breathing, or people too loud/quiet, people talking to others not in game. I find all this annoying enough to not use it, not to mention it destroys any kind of immersion you may have enjoyed. Even in cooperative/non-competitive games, I don't want to listen to these distractions.

Old
  (#21)
suture
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI 1070 GTX
Processor: Intel I7 2600k oc 4.4
Mainboard: Asus P8P67Evo
Memory: 12Gb DDR3 HyperX @1800
Soundcard: OnBoard
PSU: 620W
Default 06-13-2017, 19:34 | posts: 247 | Location: PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaze View Post
The microphone is not the problem, it's the people.
This..

I played alot in wow raids with 40 players or more in voice chat, and rarely we had problems.

Now with this easy MP formula, any player can score some easy wins with luck (or not) and talk trash.

A few years ago i tried tekken in online mode, ofc i know i would regret it, beat'em'ups + online never worked properly unless the opponent lived close to you, but anyways i still won some games versus random opponents and when i closed the game for my surprise ii had a bunch of hate mails in my PS inbox.. i was like WTF? .. i was just playing for 1h or something...

I played alot beat'em'ups in arcades for years and no similar thing ever happened, wtf is wrong with these guys?

Last edited by suture; 06-13-2017 at 19:37.

Old
  (#22)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 06-13-2017, 19:38 | posts: 4,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by suture View Post
This..

I played alot in wow raids with 40 players or more in voice chat, and rarely we had problems.

Now with this easy MP formula, any player can score some easy wins with luck (or not) and talk trash.

A few years ago i tried tekken in online mode, ofc i know i would regret it, beat'em'ups + online never worked properly unless the opponent lived close to you, but anyways i still won some games versus random opponents and when i closed the game for my surprise ii had a bunch of hate mails in my PS inbox.. i was like WTF? .. i was just playing for 1h or something...

I played alot beat'em'ups in arcades for years and no similar thing ever happened, wtf is wrong with these guys?
MMO's and the like tend to be played by older gamers or gamers with a normal mental state.

Old
  (#23)
SerotoNiN
Maha Guru

Default 06-13-2017, 20:42 | posts: 2,014 | Location: Chicago

Right now I find the current voting hilarious. Just as many people are for mics in gaming as people that feel I should stare at my lawn.

Old
  (#24)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1070 SC
Processor: 2600k@4.8 w/ NH-D15S
Mainboard: P8Z77-V
Memory: G-Skills ddr3 16GB@1866
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Z
PSU: TX850
Default 06-13-2017, 21:13 | posts: 8,156 | Location: FLA,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerotoNiN View Post
Right now I find the current voting hilarious. Just as many people are for mics in gaming as people that feel I should stare at my lawn.
Depends. How nice is your lawn? I may change my vote.

Old
  (#25)
CalculuS
Maha Guru

Videocard: 6950 Asus DC2U
Processor: I7 920 4.1ghz 1.3v
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz/CL8
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: EVGA 500W
Default 06-13-2017, 21:20 | posts: 2,729 | Location: Netherlands