Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Creative Releases BlasterX AE-5 Gaming Soundcard
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 5960K
Mainboard: X99
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Creative Releases BlasterX AE-5 Gaming Soundcard - 06-13-2017, 05:24 | posts: 28,964 | Location: Guru3D testlab

With the excellent embedded audio solution housed in motherboards I figured that soundcards would have been a thing of the past.*Creative today however releases BlasterX AE-5 Gaming Soundcard. Oh and...

Creative Releases BlasterX AE-5 Gaming Soundcard

Old
  (#2)
Gaidax

Videocard: Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
Processor: Core I7 4770 @ Stock
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec Gaming 750W
Default 06-13-2017, 07:09 | posts: 43

I have Creative Sound Blaster ZxR which was supposed to be their BIG thing for Sound Blaster series and I must say driver support for it is absolute ****.

Once in frikkin' couple of months I get sound gone because Windows Update updates it as Recon3D - a thing Creative did not bother to resolve with M$ so far.

Or the fact that if I try and set Fast Boot in BIOS there is a chance addon card won't be correctly detected.

Or sound channels getting messed up for Headphones occasionally when you have SBX Surround enabled, right channel becoming left, left right and the rest disappear.

Really the hardware may be good, but software and support... sheeeeesh, I never seen anything as **** as that and I bet this new product will suffer the same.

Old
  (#3)
SetsunaFZero
Member Guru

Videocard: Msi 980Ti 6G
Processor: i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extrem6
Memory: 32GB
Soundcard: SB Titanium, Logitech G51
PSU: EVGA 1000G2
Default 06-13-2017, 07:51 | posts: 65 | Location: Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
I have Creative Sound Blaster ZxR which was supposed to be their BIG thing for Sound Blaster series and I must say driver support for it is absolute ****.

Once in frikkin' couple of months I get sound gone because Windows Update updates it as Recon3D - a thing Creative did not bother to resolve with M$ so far.

Or the fact that if I try and set Fast Boot in BIOS there is a chance addon card won't be correctly detected.

Or sound channels getting messed up for Headphones occasionally when you have SBX Surround enabled, right channel becoming left, left right and the rest disappear.

Really the hardware may be good, but software and support... sheeeeesh, I never seen anything as **** as that and I bet this new product will suffer the same.
Did you already tried the Creative custom PAX Drivers?
or this http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowA...d=126331&h=13a

Old
  (#4)
LesserHellspawn
Master Guru

Videocard: 3x Gigabyte GTX980ti
Processor: Core i7 5960X
Mainboard: ASUS X99-E WS
Memory: 4x4GB Corsair DDR4 3200
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek 7.1
PSU: Enermax Platimax 1,7 KW
Default 06-13-2017, 08:01 | posts: 559

I've stopped using Creative soundcards after they dropped 7.1 support. They however have a little software solution called Soundblaster MB3, which adds all the still unsurpassed bells&whistles of their superior surround support and EAX to any run of the mill mainboard onboard sound. I'm using that on top of my Realtek audio chip with a 7.1 speaker setup, and yes, it was worth the 29.

Old
  (#5)
Bleib
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 8GB
Processor: I5-4670K @ 4.1
Mainboard: Asus Z87-C
Memory: 24GB Kingston
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: Corsair RM650i
Default 06-13-2017, 08:47 | posts: 362 | Location: Finland

No problems with either Z or ZR on Win7 or Win10.

The worst drivers I've encountered have been on the motherboard and one Asus card which name escapes me atm..

I doubt costum drivers for motherboards adds proper EAX support. One of the mistakes Creative did was not to license EAX fully, other cards just emulated EAX badly.

Old
  (#6)
dragonlord
Member Guru

Videocard: Nvidia Beta Tester
Processor: Intel Beta Tester
Mainboard:
Memory: 128 gb (not a typo)
Soundcard:
PSU: 1200W
Default 06-13-2017, 09:11 | posts: 102 | Location: lost angeles, california

$150-$180 to try and make headphones sound better with audio resolution far beyond the human ear can even hear. 5.1 speakers only (instead of 7.1 speaker support). And a color light show! ROFL.

I guess there will be suckers who'll fall for this. But, eesh. What a joke.

Old
  (#7)
typhon6657
Member Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 1080 SLI
Processor: I7 7700k de-lid 5.2ghz
Mainboard: ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO
Memory: F4-4266C19D-16GTZR
Soundcard: STR-DH550,Klipsch R-15M's
PSU: SeaSonic 1200 SS-1200XP3
Default 06-13-2017, 10:38 | posts: 51 | Location: Madera CA

No HDMI???????????????????????????????????????

Old
  (#8)
AliveNoMore

Videocard: Palit GTX660 2GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600
Mainboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen4
Memory: 2x4GB GeIL Black Dragon
Soundcard: SBZ + Edifier R2730DB
PSU: CM Silent Pro M600
Default 06-13-2017, 11:09 | posts: 13

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetsunaFZero View Post
Did you already tried the Creative custom PAX Drivers?
or this http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowA...d=126331&h=13a
I own a Sound Blaster Z, and have never experience any issues with it. It has been rock solid, at least on Windows 8.1.

While Creative drivers aren't amazing, I would still take them over ASUS drivers any day. ASUS basically re-brand the C-Media drivers and call it a day, which means that they are at the mercy of someone else writing the driver and software. This is why ASUS has trouble supporting newer operating systems on their sound cards.
Creative at least write their drivers in-house, which I find much preferable.

As far as the PAX drivers, I personally have not tried them, as I find that driver package to be as snake oily as they get. What does "better bass and treble" mean? If I want to change the sound I will use an equalizer myself, thank you very much. I don't need someone else to tell me what good bass or treble is because he likes it a certain way.

Old
  (#9)
Paulo Narciso
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
Processor: Intel Core I7 4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 PRO
Memory: G.Skill TridentX 2400 16G
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: Corsair HX-850
Default 06-13-2017, 11:30 | posts: 1,087 | Location: Lisbon

Sound quality is going backwards. EAX 5 was amazing, there's nothing right now that come close.
This card is irrelevant and besides some leds, it wont bring anything different.

Last edited by Paulo Narciso; 06-13-2017 at 11:40.

Old
  (#10)
Witcher29
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
Processor: 5930k + H110i GTX
Mainboard: MSI X99 GODLIKE
Memory: 64 GB LPX @ 2133
Soundcard: SoundBlaster X7
PSU: Corsair AX 1500
Default 06-13-2017, 12:00 | posts: 808 | Location: Netherlands

Nothing can beat an external Soundblaster X7 card from creative, i am really done with them pci-e cards, it takes space, and when u have a SLI-setup then there is no room anymore for such a thing.

Old
  (#11)
qqryq
Member Guru

Videocard: GigabyteGeForceGTX970 OC
Processor: Intel Core i7-980X
Mainboard: Alienware 04VWF2
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3
Soundcard: ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX II
PSU: Alienware 875 Watt
Default 06-13-2017, 12:10 | posts: 75 | Location: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveNoMore View Post
While Creative drivers aren't amazing, I would still take them over ASUS drivers any day. ASUS basically re-brand the C-Media drivers and call it a day, which means that they are at the mercy of someone else writing the driver and software. This is why ASUS has trouble supporting newer operating systems on their sound cards.
Creative at least write their drivers in-house, which I find much preferable.
So true.
I'm not even touching Asus crap drivers, only UNi Xonar Audio Drivers (modded drivers for Xonar and other C-Media 8788 audio chipset based sound cards).
http://maxedtech.com/

Old
  (#12)
mackintosh
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 670 3-way SLI
Processor: i7 950 @ 4Ghz
Mainboard: EVGA X58 Classified E760
Memory: Dominator 2133 12GB
Soundcard: AVR-1911 & HD 650s
PSU: Enermax Revolution 1250W
Default 06-13-2017, 12:12 | posts: 181 | Location: Warsaw, Poland

Haven't used a sound card since Auzentech went out of business and my HT HD went the way of the dodo. Perfectly happy with a receiver and speakers/headphones combo for all my music/gaming needs. I'm not sure what the point of a sound card is these days.

Old
  (#13)
Turanis
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte
Processor: SBA
Mainboard: Gigabyte
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair RM650 650W
Default 06-13-2017, 12:14 | posts: 1,102 | Location: Into the light

Should be great card,I miss old Creative sound blaster cards.

From a goood guy who bring modded drivers for ASUS, C-Media and Creative soundcards:
https://danielkawakami.blogspot.ro/

Old
  (#14)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 1080Ti
Processor: i7-4790K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 06-13-2017, 12:21 | posts: 10,815 | Location: Terra Firma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Narciso View Post
Sound quality is going backwards. EAX 5 was amazing, there's nothing right now that come close.
This card is irrelevant and besides some leds, it wont bring anything different.
I don't know about sound quality, but I'd agree with sound "importance" started to take a back seat. But recently with VR becoming more mainstream, a lot of studios are going back and developing some pretty cool 3D sound processing stuff. Steam Audio is starting to get integrated in to the major engines:

https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/

It's in both UE4 and Unity now.

Also UE4 with 4.16 completely revamped it's audio system:

https://youtu.be/ErejaBCicds?t=2416

This video shows some of the new stuff including a completely modular synthesizer.

Old
  (#15)
OnnA
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Nitro Fiji-X HBM 1150/570
Processor: ZEN x8 k17 + Nepton 280L
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Memory: 16GB 3200 CL16 1T Ripjaws
Soundcard: SB-z Nichicon + Wood 5.1
PSU: Seasonic-X 750W Platinum
Wink 06-13-2017, 12:33 | posts: 2,869 | Location: HolyWater Village

Where is Dolby ATMOS? (5.1.2 | 5.1.4 | 7.1.2 & 7.1.4)
Rest is Briliant:

32-bit with 384kHz !
This DAC ->>> ESS ES9016K2M SABRE32 Ultra DAC

But USD149.99 is way too much for a SC without ATMOS....

Old
  (#16)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43
Memory: DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, JBL Spot
PSU: Corsair HX650
Default 06-13-2017, 13:20 | posts: 1,018

Who needs that? I don't think it's gamers... Unless I missed something, games come with 16-bit/48kHz (or 44.1) audio.

Even my 24-bit/192kHz Xonar goes completely unused in that department. Everything I throw at it is just 16-bit/48.

Am I missing something?

Old
  (#17)
qqryq
Member Guru

Videocard: GigabyteGeForceGTX970 OC
Processor: Intel Core i7-980X
Mainboard: Alienware 04VWF2
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3
Soundcard: ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX II
PSU: Alienware 875 Watt
Default 06-13-2017, 13:25 | posts: 75 | Location: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turanis View Post
Should be great card,I miss old Creative sound blaster cards.

From a goood guy who bring modded drivers for ASUS, C-Media and Creative soundcards:
https://danielkawakami.blogspot.ro/
Interesting, i'll check it out. Thanks for heads up!

Edit: Well, i can't say if drivers are good or not, download links only works for Asus Xonar Windows 10 drivers blog entries. Older are dead... Pity

Old
  (#18)
Fox2232
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Fury X - XL2420T(Z)@144Hz
Processor: i5-2500k@4.5GHz NH-D14
Mainboard: MSI Z68A-GD80[g3]
Memory: 4x4GB 1600MHz 9,9,8,20 1T
Soundcard: Essence ST / AKG K-701
PSU: FSP Gold series 750W
Default 06-13-2017, 13:51 | posts: 5,352 | Location: EU, CZ, Brno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witcher29 View Post
Nothing can beat an external Soundblaster X7 card from creative, i am really done with them pci-e cards, it takes space, and when u have a SLI-setup then there is no room anymore for such a thing.
Yes, and it eats off PCIe lanes.
I am currently facing unpleasant thing with sound card. I picked PCI version instead of PCIe, because it had better board with less noise.

Now, with Ryzen boards not having PCI slots, my only option is to get PCIe to PCI bridge card. Unfortunately there were not many great external soundcards back then, and I did not find any with 6,3mm jacks for headphones.

But from space perspective, External take more of space as they have cables, power supplies and are in box which is often bigger than internal card. But, their main advantage is that you can easily use them with anything. (notebook/tablet/...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
Who needs that? I don't think it's gamers... Unless I missed something, games come with 16-bit/48kHz (or 44.1) audio.

Even my 24-bit/192kHz Xonar goes completely unused in that department. Everything I throw at it is just 16-bit/48.

Am I missing something?
It is internal mixing rate + rate at which it is willing to communicate with other software in PC.
So, it improves a quality of mixed sound a bit. I clearly noticed jump from 48 to 96kHz. But from 96 to 192kHz, I think it was more of a placebo since It took quite some listening to actually get to point of thinking there is difference.

So I say, 384 kHz looks pointless to me. + in past I met 2 games which were crashing if I had sampling at more than 96kHz.

Looking at bitrate, 24/32bit is not pointless, but again stem from 24 to 32bit is damn hard to notice.

Last edited by Fox2232; 06-13-2017 at 14:02.

Old
  (#19)
SHS
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI R7870-2GD5T/OC
Processor: Intel i5 3570k @ 3.4 GHz
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X (2x4GB)
Soundcard: Sharkoon X-Tatic Analog
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2
Default 06-13-2017, 14:10 | posts: 274 | Location: Vinita, OK

Quote:

A possible that the root causes maybe your motherboard or just bad card with Fast Boot in BIOS enable I'm not sure if my motherboard has that enable.
As for sound channels getting messed up, I seen that odd thing like that happing just be sure update to latest driver that come out in mar, 2017 SBZ_CD_L13_1_01_10.exe also note you may want to so fresh reinstall of Windows 10 as it well know for causing goof ball odd thing to happing.
The problem I have with Creative Sound Blaster Z is lack good Linux support drivers.

Old
  (#20)
JamesSneed
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX 1070
Processor: 2500K
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Kingwin 550w platinum
Default 06-13-2017, 15:41 | posts: 74

I stopped using sound cards once we had fairly cheap speakers that could connect via USB and had built in DAC's like Audioengine does. To me its a no brainier to take money from sound card and buy more expensive speakers with a built in DAC. It sounds better and you don't have any 3rd party software to install. To each is there own but I really like this setup.

Old
  (#21)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43
Memory: DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, JBL Spot
Default 06-13-2017, 15:57 | posts: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2232 View Post
It is internal mixing rate + rate at which it is willing to communicate with other software in PC. So, it improves a quality of mixed sound a bit. I clearly noticed jump from 48 to 96kHz.
Mixing is not affected by sample rate. Only by bit-depth. Also, mixing is done by windows (mixing multiple applications) or by each app/game (mixing multiple sounds in-game.) The sound card has got nothing to do with it.

24-bit mixing of 16-bit sources can improve mixing marginally. But that's about it.

It looks more like an audio production sound card that's got nothing to do with gaming.

Last edited by RealNC; 06-13-2017 at 16:06.

Old
  (#22)
TheDeeGee
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
Processor: Intel Core 4770K
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
Memory: Crucial Ballistix LP 16GB
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760
Default 06-13-2017, 16:30 | posts: 5,011

Looks cool, but my ZxR will last another 5 years ^^

Old
  (#23)
GREGIX
Master Guru

Videocard: Saphire Fury 3-x@2720Z
Processor: i7-5775C@4ghz
Mainboard: Asus z97 pro gamer
Memory: 2x8gb Basillix 2133 cl9
Soundcard: Creative Zx+Edifier 1700
PSU: EVGA G2 550W
Default 06-13-2017, 18:59 | posts: 328 | Location: Ireland

"With the excellent embedded audio solution housed in motherboards I figured that soundcards would have been a thing of the past..."

Wouldn't agree more...

On paper motherboards audio are fine. In ads, they are brilliant. In reality - I can clearly hear difference on speakers setup 2.0 or more/headphones and any decent sound card, starting from old xonar dx. And my mb sound card is decent. z97 pro gamer motherboard. SupremeFX...!

Second thing - if there is situation, like mine, where I have coil whine from my gfx, then...well, I hear coil whine on headphones/speakers using motherboards sound...

Third- creatives drivers my sometimes suck, but with my current zx I haven't one single problem, and it give me enormous advantage in FPS gaming, online, just because I can hear near to perfect in 3d environment where my foes are. And react fast accordingly.

Old
  (#24)
Dr.Chocolate
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX 760 OC
Processor: I-6600k
Mainboard: Asrock Fatal1ty B250
Memory: 8gb ddr4 2400
Soundcard: 5.1 Vigoole Creative Z
PSU: Fortron Aurum Gold
Default 06-13-2017, 19:15 | posts: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGIX View Post
"With the excellent embedded audio solution housed in motherboards I figured that soundcards would have been a thing of the past..."

Wouldn't agree more...

On paper motherboards audio are fine. In ads, they are brilliant. In reality - I can clearly hear difference on speakers setup 2.0 or more/headphones and any decent sound card, starting from old xonar dx. And my mb sound card is decent. z97 pro gamer motherboard. SupremeFX...!

Second thing - if there is situation, like mine, where I have coil whine from my gfx, then...well, I hear coil whine on headphones/speakers using motherboards sound...

Third- creatives drivers my sometimes suck, but with my current zx I haven't one single problem, and it give me enormous advantage in FPS gaming, online, just because I can hear near to perfect in 3d environment where my foes are. And react fast accordingly.
I agree. I have Soundblaster z and while it might not be the greatest card, it beats integrated audio and i had no problems with it. Might not be the best card for music, but for gaming needs it beats the integrated. 5.1 on the integrated does not come close to soundblaster z. I prefer playing without headphones.

Did not see any reason to buy zx or better, because i did not saw the difference between them. The gadgets ? Sound wise it should not be that much different ?

Old
  (#25)
Prince Valiant
Master Guru

Videocard: GB GTX980 G1
Processor: i5 4670k
Mainboard: ASRock Z87 Ex.4
Memory: 8GB Corsair Veng.
Soundcard: Essence ST/HD800S
Default 06-13-2017, 19:44 | posts: 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
I don't know about sound quality, but I'd agree with sound "importance" started to take a back seat. But recently with VR becoming more mainstream, a lot of studios are going back and developing some pretty cool 3D sound processing stuff. Steam Audio is starting to get integrated in to the major engines:

https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/

It's in both UE4 and Unity now.

Also UE4 with 4.16 completely revamped it's audio system:

https://youtu.be/ErejaBCicds?t=2416

This video shows some of the new stuff including a completely modular synthesizer.
Wasn't Aureal doing something similar before Creative delivered a death blow to them?

I'd like to see audio getting an important place in games again but I fear that it won't happen unless it's extremely easy to implement (or automatically done).

Edit: AMD apparently released a new version of TrueAudio (TrueAudio Next but it's aimed at VR like Nvidia did with their VRworks stuff.

I'd guess that any improvements to audio in VR games will only be latency related .

Last edited by Prince Valiant; 06-13-2017 at 19:56.