What exactly is a Safe-space...My Home?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I here it all the time on the news that people want a "Safe-space" and i'm lost as to what it means?...Shouldn't people that want a place to be safe just go Home?... or move to a safer place?

is the world that dangerous in there mind?...if it is why don't they just go home...I don't understand...:bang:

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Dude that was brilliant^...Thanks!...But i have always went/gone to my favorite pub/bar/restaurant/ place to shop and I didn't care what people thought and heck it never entered my mind...Why it matter now?

I never any of these people btw.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Boils down to pretty much an educational institute or classroom that won't tolerate bigotry or sexism against whatever gender whoever identifies with. Openness and accepting attitudes.

It's a slippery slope to censorship and zero tolerance policies.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Thank you scatman^ you are smart....But will it help in real life work environment? having a Safe-space?

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    No but thick skin will. We live in a time where everyone is offended by everything. Unless of-course you claim your a comedian then everything is fair game and there are no consequences to your words.

7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    It's supposed to be a place where people can't criticize or hurt your feelings, in other words, 1984.

8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I work as a residential electrician in the deep south and my co worker is a black man/ love him and his family(dam good man)....

I guess things are different elsewhere... We laugh sometimes because he voted for H and I voted for T but all is still good...

in fact we F**k with each other everyday and its fun/ makes the day go by faster/ Lol

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    To some of the insane degrees as we see in america? Well it depends on how your country is, and what job you are in, what sort of work environment it is.

A builders site that is 100% male employed (not through disallowing women, just that they have a reputation and perhaps a woman may not like it) may not give a damn about sexism. Far less than an office workplace with a nearer 50/50 split.

I had previously worked for 10 years in a catering job that was more woman orientated in it's employees, and all the senior, supervisor and many of the management positions were 50+ y/o women (yet most of all the chefs were male). I personally experiences some degree of sexism, but more ageism, yes, it can work on a younger person. Getting belittled cause my back was messed up working manual labour because gossipy 50 year old women had it worse than me and that I can't be in pain because i'm a young man.

Current job, 50/50 split pretty much all the way up. You can say what you like if you trust the person but it's an open office environment. Ears are everywhere, not in a prying way, but overhearing because there are no walls.

For example, one guy was recently fired for saying very much along the lines of "some girls in here could do with a good raping". As in, there's some good looking women there (and there is). Of course, he said this at reasonable volume in the middle of the break area with quite a lot of other people at seats outside of his small table area. Reported about 5 times from different people, all reporting the same thing from different locations.

Asked to explain himself in front of a tribunal, said it was a joke, couldn't accurately describe how that is a joke and was promptly fired after going off "sick with stress" for 4 days in a row.

In reality, don't make stupid comments. You wouldn't be openly racist in a workplace and expect to keep your job, so don't be openly sexist/transphobic/whatever regardless of your views. Keep them to yourself, or joke about it in absolute confidence with someone you trust and shares your views and don't assume everyone shares your views.

Britain as a country would never accept this sort of safe space thing, Theresa May herself has been critical of the idea. Just like how britain does not have racial quotas for jobs.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I managed major restaurants here in the 1980's-mid 90s and I can tell you that women are a pain in the ass vs men....I seen 3 women fight over the same man that was my top cook and he had a 4th woman they had no clue about and they were mad as hell cause he left them for her/

He had to quit to keep her...It is what it is.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So this is really a "concept" that exists in real life?...

12. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Glad he got fired that isn't even a joke no matter how you slice it. While I think people are overly sensitive at times that isn't one of them.

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    And to think it all started with changing ethnic jokes into dumb blonde jokes, Ebonics, banning of tag and dodgeball, participation awards, "graduation" ceremonies from kindergarten and/or grade school, lack of score keeping at children's sporting events, and the most egregious of all "pc" movement. We no longer have mailmen, firemen, policemen, or garbage men. Instead we have postal carriers, firefighters, law enforcement officers, and sanitation engineers. At least we still have doctors, nurses, teachers, and professors ( or are they referred to as lecturers). Heck shell shock does not even exist anymore let alone recovering from a traumatic event. Post traumatic stress syndrome encompasses it all. We have allowed ourselves to become nothing more than a pack of fairies. Thick skinned, now, just means one has callouses.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It is only good for censoring speech, shutting down opposing political views aka republicans, and creating unemployable rabid pups. They claim to care for many things and to be inclusive and diverse but is all ostensible and skin deep at best.

They just need a Pepsi. Or a Pepe :^)

Here are some in the wild:

15. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Lol the part where it says calories burned got me good.

also
    [​IMG]

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    It's not completely about censoring speech. When people start making death threats to others for simply not agreeing with their point of view there is a problem. Same goes to threatening rape/murder to others when you don't like what they have to say.
    I'll agree that people are way over sensitive about a lot of things these days, but death threats are not OK. Neither is bullying a young kid online by telling them to kill themselves.
    But what do I know, I'm just a DC snowflake apparently.

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Hey, Thanks again Bro!....Thats some bucked up people^...Glad I don't live around them.

18. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    You mean like the Berkeley Riots? Adults, more like children, crying about their safe spaces being invaded then threatening invited guests with violence and rioting. You may not agree with what some people have to say, but that doesn't give you the right to prevent other people from attending a guest lecture. These people scream tolerance, but are some of the most intolerant people I've seen. They say they're against hatred and violence, but then spew exactly what they say they're protesting. Talk about irony.

You also said it's wrong to threaten people with whom you disagree. I agree completely with you, but the people wanting safe spaces don't seem to agree with you since they label anyone they disagree with as sexists, racists, bigot, xenophobes, homophobes, etc and would rather scream and riot rather than debate the issue like a civilized person.

"Safe Space" is nothing more that silencing unpopular speech which is the most important free speech we have. The first amendment most importantly protects unpopular speech. If it protected only popular speech we'd have no need for it since no one would try to silence you. The South Park video hit the nail on the head quite well. People crying about their safe space can't handle opposing view points or reality and would rather live in a bubble. It's disgusting this mentality is encouraged and perpetuated nowadays, especially on college campuses.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Thank you Whiplashwang....Thanks Bro!

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    In other words to make it "safe" for all those alternative kids, it has to be made hostile to any king of unpleasant truth.

Basically there are cases when people are censored not because they are wrong. But because when they say truth, it may hurt someone's feeling by proving him wrong.

And Southpark's Safe Space is quite spot on. There is just one difference, there making things safe took toll on one boy. In reality, this Safe Space Living Group oppresses freedom of thought for thousands. And given opportunity, they would oppress millions/billions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.