i7-3770K + new GPU with G-Sync monitor

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Childermass, May 25, 2017.

Tags:
?

Which one do you recommend with i7-3770K?

1. Geforce GTX 1080 TI

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Geforce GTX 1080

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Geforce GTX 1070

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Geforce GTX 980TI

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. ...or wait for GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z? :)

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Childermass

Childermass Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Hi everybody,

just a quickie. My Geforce GTX 690 just died on me yesterday - Arctic Cooling anyone? ;( - so I have to buy a new card.

Now, my system runs on Intel i7-3770K w/ 16 gig RAM and an ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM mobo (PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000W, case: Corsair Obsidian 550D). Top priority: SILENCE! I hated the noise my 690 made...

Q1: which GPU I should go for? Price is not really a concern but I don't neccessarily need the absolute best/fastest one out there especially if my current rig would bottleneck it in any way. 980ti? 1070? 1080? 1080ti even? I'm at a loss currently...

Q2: I need a decent monitor (somewhere between 24"-27" perhaps 28", preferably G-Sync ready. Suggestions (keeping Q1 in mind)?

I am not a hardcore gamer but would indulge myself with constant decent framerates. 4K is OK but not indispensable at all.

Thank you everybody!

Cheers!

2. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Could you enlighten us more about what resolution you'd like to go for and what kind of framerate you expect to get out of the system at said resolution, ie 1080p 120-240Hz, 1440p 144Hz etc.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    You can get acceptable deals now on the ViewSonic XG2703-GS and the AOC AG271QG. I have the ViewSonic and I can highly recommend it. (There's also very similar monitors from Asus and Acer, but they are more expensive and seem to have more QA issues.)

If you have the money for the 1080 Ti, sure. The 1070 should be your minimum though. These are 1440p monitors and anything lower than the 1070 is not recommended.

4. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yup pretty much, get the Ti if you gots the money but then again it's not necessarily "needed" if you plan on going 1440p. The 1080 is a good middle ground for 1440p-4K gaming.

5. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    No point in getting less than an 1080 Ti, and PG279Q.
    If you are a serious gamer, upgrade then to 7700K, Z270 and 16GB DDR4.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I also recently got the ViewSonic. Can't recommend it enough as "cheap" gaming IPS.

7. Childermass

Childermass Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Sure, no problem. I should have stated it anyway - so I'd aim for 1440p@144Hz as a sweet spot between 1080p and 4K.

8. Childermass

Childermass Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Thanks, everyone! I think I go for the 1080TI, then. I need to find a quiet one e.g. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G or alike.

I wonder I should OC my i7-3770 processor from 3.5Ghz to whatever I can achieve...?

As for the monitor I like the Viewsonic very much but not decided yet...

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  9. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    have you considered going 3440x1440p, there are some nice 100hz gsync monitor, the immersion is great, its really nice gaming in 2k ultrawide, i cant see my self going back to 16:9 or 16:10

10. Childermass

Childermass Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Hm, I can see why you wouldn't switch back but man, those things cost a fortune...

11. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    2 GSYNC monitors I had the last week, both returned.
    PG279Q($850) and Dell S2716DG($529). Did not like colors(and gamma) in BOTH(yes I tried calibrating them to death, OSD, profiles and nvidia color). They never worth the amount of money compared to my lovely BenQ XL2720Z (1080P 144Hz, TN. But PERFECT TN).
    TBH I did not like both. And they are hugely OVERPRICED.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    This is always an issue with IPS. More accurate colors doesn't mean you'll like them. I once sat in front of a perfectly calibrated professional-grade monitor (used by a photographer.) Everything appeared too "warm" (green-yellow-ish) and dark areas seemed too dark.

If you're used to TN colors, gamma and contrast, IPS might need some getting used to. Once you do, however, the reverse happens and using a TN will give you the same problem: It will appear too "cold" (blue-ish) and washed out (dark areas are more visible.)

And yes, all these monitors are overpriced, just like the BenQ XL2720Z itself. (Note that they have G-Sync, the XL2720Z does not.)

13. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Well but when everyone on the web talks about IPS like it scores a home run simply it does not. I know exactly what I like and what I don't. I like red to be red and black to be simply black. The case with both the mentioned Asus and Dell was not, especially the Dell. Red was like pink or orange, black was whitish grey. When you spend $850 (+$160 for a protection plan) you expect a perfect monitor. It was clear not.
    The BenQ was $420 when I bought it 3 years ago. It worths every penny.

14. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Depends on cooling, knowledge and how far you're willing to push it. In general you should hit 4.2GHz without a sweat but chips are different so you might just hit 4GHz, or you might clock to 4.5GHz with ease. You'll never really know before you try. My 3770K was able to run 4.8GHz but it was delidded and under a custom loop, the silicon lottery pays a part in achieving high clocks as well.

If you're going for a 1080 Ti, go for one that's MSI made as those are the most silent cards.

15. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    they re indeed expensive monitor, but u dont buy a monitor every years, could last u 10 years so in the end its not that expensive, but if u get a 1080 ti + the ultrawide it is expensive for sure :)

master race !

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    The IPS I'm using does not have any of these issues. Red is as red as red can be, and black is "blacker" than on my TN monitors.

It sounds like you either had defective monitors or you had wrong settings.

17. Childermass

Childermass Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Yeah, for work I have an Apple Thunderbolt Display (27" TFT IPS active-matrix LCD, glossy glass covered screen, QHD (2560x1440 pixels) resolution, LED edge-lit backlight) and it is absolutely stunning. So for me it's a no brainer to get an IPS for gaming as well...

18. Childermass

Childermass Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    I have a Noctua D14 air cooler on top of my 3770K.

By the way is there any decent OC software for the processor or I should run my experiments from the BIOS (my mobo has a plethora of options for that)? I'm fairly unexperienced in the OC department so could you direct me to an ample source on the web regarding this CPU? Or Google is my best friend... :)

19. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    the screen mentioned (PG279Q) had a run of panels that had a fault causing a yellowish tone.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-with-defective-AU-Optronics-panels-*WARNING*

Asus identified the change that introduced the flaw and rectified it quickly enough, but there are a fair amount of of these 2015 panels in circulation.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  20. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    These two guides give you good info on how to proceed with overclocking a 3770K.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboards

http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-with-ln2-guide-at-the-end