Intel integrates Thunderbolt 3 in CPUs and releases specifications

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 24, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    IMO, not very interesting as the expensive/complex part of Thunderbolt is in the cables, anyway. It will certainly add some additional transistors to Intel cpus looking ahead, however, and Thunderbolt has had years to achieve widespread adoption and so far has gathered little interest--being custom-cable-dependent has a lot to do with it, imo. Probably looking at another Firewire story--although I suspect Firewire even though it failed ultimately garnered a far wider adoption than has Thunderbolt thus far--and for the same reason--the Tbolt cables, again.

3. hpascoa

hpascoa Guest

GPU:
    AORUS Radeon RX580 8G
    That's excellent news. I really do like the idea behind TB, it's a shame Intel was never willing to let 3rd parties in on the game. Hopefully this will also mean that we will eventually see TB available on AMD systems.

The reason why the cables are expensive is because the technology hasn't become mainstream yet. It's like HDMI back in the day when it first came out and the cables cost a fortune. Once production reaches critical mass, then prices will come down.

They could have driven up adoption of TB3 back in 2015, if they had built it into the 100 series chipset when they released Skylake, instead of relegating it into the separate (and expensive) Alpine Ridge controller. Motherboard manufacturers didn't want to drive up prices, or lower their margins, on their mainstream boards by including Alpine Ridge, so the feature was available only on some high-end motherboards (and MacBooks), and as such never reached the mainstream.

4. FeDaYin

FeDaYin Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 ref.
    USB 3.1 gen2 in 2020 ?

5. terremonde

terremonde Guest

GPU:
    asus amd 6670 ddr5
    as a fanboy. I hope intel never gets a proprietary lead on anything over what amd is currently doing.
    tired of intel ripping people off with there inflated prices. #nextfirewire

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
  7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Exactly and why this will take off now that Intel is opening things up. Took them long enough sheesh. Prior this is like Beta vs VHS for those of you that are a bit more experienced in life but maybe this move will switch things up.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Beta!, I still have tons tapes with recording on using beta tapes, no player though.

Not really sure what thunderbolt is though so i probably dont use it or care for this, but i might if intel uses it as reason to increase prices... with AMD doing as let they need to reduce prices not increase

9. Markk02474

Markk02474 New Member

GPU:
    none
    Long overdue. Current 7th generation chipsets can't even produce full T3 bandwidth due to the DMI 3.0 bottleneck between the CPU and PCH. Even worse, PCIe SSDs have to share the same choke point. Meanwhile 16 pcie lanes are wasted on graphics cards, where 8 lanes are needed at most, and many people use the CPU graphics.

This is the dirty little secret that Intel will address. Hopefully, we also get to see M.2 slots directly connected to the CPU soon too.

10. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    copper or fibre optics?