Framerate anxiety

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by archie123, May 24, 2017.

1. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    haha, good read indeed

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I always have MSI: AB on but its mostly to monitor temps. I really don't care if I'm getting 80fps or 100fps. If the game runs well and isn't a slideshow that's all I care about.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There is some good truth in all of this.

Still, im so used to monitoring tools now that it feels strange not to have it on.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Hm, how does the author of that article get around the game looking blurry (during movement) when it goes below ~80FPS? (Only an issue on high refresh monitors; 60Hz monitors are always blurry.)

I never use an FPS counter when playing (unless I want to test settings). But when FPS reaches 80, I get the blur. I'm not looking at a frame counter. I'm just noticing things getting blurry.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I know some people who would benefit from turning off the FPS counters if I'm honest.

That's not to say I don't use them myself, although I generally only do so to test settings before I start playing a game properly. After that I don't look unless I feel that something is off.

7. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    got a freesync mon, a rx470, i also ditched the fps counter, everything is smooth. except mechwarrior but i know that game is unoptimized as hell

8. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Once you get used to the super smooth high framerates it is very difficult to enjoy games that cannot reach those heights.

I prefer to lower certain settings than sacrifice framerates much below 90.

It does help that I don't like certain settings anyway, such as that blurry field of vision thingy, or chromatic aberration, so they can go straight away.
    I also prefer sharper images, so too much anti-aliasing is also something I balance out.

The things I won't lower are textures, view distance (I like seeing all the stuff miles away) and game effects like explosions etc. Lighting is also something I like at max.

I suppose it's what you get used to, not owning a console means that 30fps is a non-starter for me.

9. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I'm on a 60hz monitor, and I always run V-sync. That means games are either 60, or choppy. So long as it's smooth, I don't pay attention to the OSD.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have hardware monitor on too but I'd never let that mess my screen. However, that's one reason why I bought Logitech G510s - LCD screen. If I get a keyboard without display, I'll just alt-tab to check graphs if I feel like there's a problem.

Last edited: May 24, 2017

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
  12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well for SP games I agree to some extent with the author, but in MP shooters I played often I've even been able to blind test the difference between 120 fps @ 120Hz and 110 fps @ 120Hz...

I wouldn't fully call it blind or a visual test, but I felt something weird, a sort of "drag" on my mouse-movement.

Same here, the only 2 games I've managed to muster through at sub 40 fps are Metro 2033 (at release) and Crysis tbh.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I see the blur in both SP and MP games. It doesn't matter if it's Witcher 3 or Counter-Strike. Once the frame rate approaches 80FPS... blur.

With a 60Hz monitor, it doesn't make a difference 50FPS vs 60FPS looks about the same. 100FPS vs 60FPS, the difference is HUGE.

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Good thing i don´t care too much about this issue. I´m still using a 1080p 60Hz monitor and i´m used to play games with some blur or frame rate dips. For me the most important part is if the game or not. For example Dark Souls has some severe frame rate issues in certain areas and i don´t care too much because it´s one of the best game i have ever played.

But maybe my opinion will change in the near future after i buy a 144Hz screen that some gurus have advised as a must buy.

16. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I can't remember the last time I even cared to check FPS on my regular games unless it's a new game and there's something seriously wrong I never bother and since I switched to G Sync Screens a locked 60 fps has become a bit of a non issue, I can relate though it can become an obsession.

17. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I can't tell you how many times I've just been sittin' there looking at the frame counter go below 60 and how bad that made me feel instead of playin' the actual game itself, but no more of that, time to enjoy life.

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I only check my FPS counter when I feel "laggy" and usually the counter then confirms my suspicions :p

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Last time I actually cared about getting the highest framerate possible was when I was addicted to WoW. Doing 25m raids was hell on framerates. Had to keep tweaking settings to get 60fps minimum.

Lately, I've been monitoring framerate very closely in BF4 MP. Trying to stay around 60fps... Had to increase graphics settings to Ultra to get the framerate that low....lol What's the point of FreeSync if you're just going to let your framerate outpace your monitor? BF4 is the only PC game I play these days... Usually, if I'm gaming, it's on XBox with my son playing Halo....lol

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's not uncommon for me to have a detailed osd running even while watching a movie.

I do agree that sometimes having an OSD on while gaming is just a massive distraction, but alot of the time you see or feel it drop and then you look up and see that confirmed with the numbers.