Radeon RX Vega for consumers might still be out a couple of months

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    AMD lost quite a bit of money by not making a GDDR5X card like Nvidia did. It's quite bizarre Nvidia knew the HBM2 situation better than AMD despite AMD being the inventor of the thing.

3. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    If this is true then Vega will be DoA.
    By the time Vega is out Volta will be released or will be near release.
    So it won't matter. Vega supposed to compete with GTX10XX which is already 1 year old.
    I hope it will not be too late for Vega and I hope those news are not true.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Raja already confirmed it wouldn't be out by the end of June, when asked about the Frontier Edition being used for gaming.

5. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    This is not good news for anyone that was hoping to upgrade in the first half of 2017. I have a couple of friends that were hoping for an AMD release this month, in order to drive down NViDIA pricing if nothing else.

6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Bummer.

7. ernorator

ernorator Guest

GPU:
    Strix 2070 super
    And im here with my wc 290x from 2014....ffs AMD i need gpu fot 144hz.

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    I am going to be kicking this horse a while longer. This is all because of their cash flow. Everything is going to be given priority that has a higher ROI. They needed to release Ryzen to consumers first so that the corporate market would standup and take notice; guaranteeing an uptake in sales. GPUs are in a different box where that is concerned. There is not a mass consumer market for professional GPUs.

AMD put themselves in the hot seat concerning HBM. If the inventor does not put any faith in their own creation then why should anyone else. Once they went down that road, there was no return...full steam ahead. If they back out now, HBM will carry a connotation of being a failure. It is just up to them when and if they pull the plug on it. My impression is that when the next quarter financials are released another 15-20% of their cash reserves will have been burned.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    M8, you have a 1080Ti and an i7 7700k...

Vega should have come Q1 max and that would be late. They ****ed up, they need to drop the sinking HBM boat and just go with GDDR5X to be able to compete.

Saddens me to say this but you better look at the green team.

I've been positive and supportive of AMD but this is too much: **** off with Vega and move on, it should have been here 1 year ago.

10. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    Man, tears have been shed from my manly cheeks.
    Why? Just why .. Raja? Where is my hope? My VEGA?

11. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Do not be so small-minded - GTX 1070/80 performer for less is still in demand especially for those of us which already bought FreeSync screen (or planning to) or those which just cant handle another higher shelf of graphic cards from nvidia.
    I am waiting long now, so long in fact that I bought Freesync screen and I really need an affordable upgrade, 480 or 580 just do not cut it for me, and 390 is power hog - a bit annoying, but I keep it because of drivers !

12. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Nvidia's cards have been out for a year. The longer AMD waits, the easier it will be for Nvidia to cut price to nullify any price advantage AMD might have. Nvidia has a history of doing this over the last couple of generations, and it seems likely here.

13. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    So what ? they could be even 100 years on the market - GTX 1070 is still way more expensive than RX 480/580 - which means it is a deal breaker for many it does not compete with price/performance ratio because of broken first part about price.
    Do not nullify anything until G-Sync is horribly overpriced, ppl do not know about the advantages of adaptive sync yet - at least not many but it will slowly grow... look all I can say now is that I would not buy 1070 for the price of 580 now.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It will still come out before Volta, thats something, right?

15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I believe the memory controller needs to be designed to use either GDDR or HBM or both. I guess Vega can only handle HBM. It couldn't possibly have been an impossible task for an experienced company like AMD to design a GDDR5(x) video card using Vega when they realised Hynix can't keep its promises, which happened already in the middle of last year, I'd say, IF Vega had been able to use GDDR.

While what Clouseau said is also true, no doubt, it wouldn't have prevented AMD from releasing a 1070 equivalent or perhaps something between the 1070 and 1080. Then they could have released the real flagship with HBM2 whenever they are now going to release anything at all. How would that have been worse than this nonsense that actually happened?

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I started saying it about 8 months ago. AMD needed to make a larger Polaris and so many AMD drones attacked me for suggesting it.

Hey would a larger Polaris 8 months ago had been such a bad idea?

Face it AMD screwed the pooch again with this.

I think it's time for Lisa Su to resign.

17. hpascoa

hpascoa Guest

GPU:
    AORUS Radeon RX580 8G
    Why are some people surprised about this? Raja Koduri said on stage, during the Financial Analysts Day, that Frontier Edition would be the first product to be released based on the Vega architecture. And he said it was coming out in late June. He later said, during the Reddit AMA, that RX Vega would be shown at Computex but there would not be a release during that timeframe. Lisa Su said earlier this year, during the Q1 Financial Results Report, that Vega was on track to be released during Q2 of this year. Knowing what we know now, that was obviously a mention of the Frontier Edition, not RX. Which puts the RX Vega launch in Q3 at the earliest. What more confirmation does the Internet need that RX Vega isn't going to be released until the second half of this year? Anyone still expecting to see it on store shelves before the July-September timeframe, seriously needs to just chill and wait. It's probably going to be a late August-early September launch.

18. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Then you are in the extreme minority. Just about everyone else would buy a higher tier card for a lower tier price (relative to the tiers they are looking at of course) if they could.

19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Perhaps I am wrong, however the way it seems right now main issue for the delays is HBM2. Not sure who's fault it is there, Henix or AMD, but there it is.

Yet, we do remember they announced that there will be cards with slower HBM2 at start and then a faster one down the road.

My assumption here is that when Vega eventually comes, it will run on slower HBM2, and aim at competing versus 1070/1080/1080Ti as afaik we have a lineup of 3 cards announced.

On the other hand, once Volta comes out, my assumption is that AMD will roll out another 3 cards or so with HBM2 the faster version, and re-release Initial Volta's the same way it did with 560/570/580 to compete versus low tier Volta's.

If that's not the case, AMD can be in trouble as indeed this takes Waaay too long. And if by the time Volta is out, they won't have anything, well damn.

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    AMD should have used GDDR5 for the cards equivalent to the 1070/80 to release them sooner and should have reserved the HBM2 to make it feel special and justify a silly price like the Titans from Nvidia. The decision to use only HMB2 has already cost millions on lost sales to AMD...

Good thing i didnĀ“t wait any more and bought a 1070.