2-3 secs stutter every hour or so on new 1080ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by sniperbr0, May 22, 2017.

1. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    Hello everyone,

I replaced by old 770 for a 1080 TI I bought last week. I've only changed:

Drivers, from 364.51 to 382.19.
    Uninstalled EVGA Precision X (old RTSS based version) and installed MSI afterburner with RTSS 7.0 beta

I've tested several games, all of them perform really well, BUT I started noticing something really weird across all games: sudden 2-3 stutters that freeze the whole game (except sound). It literally freezes, it is not just a FPS drop. My temperatures are good and I have not overclocked the GPU.

So, since the occurrence is low and random and I could not be sure if this was related to the upgrade at all, so I decided to not investigate, until I tried to play some DDR, which I play like 1 hour or so every week. It uses 2% of GPU, it is a very lightweight game, so it was then I noticed this is certainly related to the GPU, drivers, or MSI Afterburner+RTSS, as it had never happened before on my 770, and it ruins the game's experience when it happens.

The reason I am posting this is because I have just made a huge upgrade on GPU, drivers and software. I was using ancient driver version and RTSS, so I would like to ask you guys that may be already familiar if this is a known problem in the latest drivers or the latest MSI afterburner+RTSS.

This is something that it is very hard to not notice, although if it happens during a loading screen or something it is easy to miss.

Has anyone here experienced this problem?

2. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I usually experience that in sli mode in single gpu mode my system is fine, for a new hardware installation is recomended doing a clean driver installation so you need to get rid of old driver using ddu and uninstalling anything related to your old gpu, cos that may conflict your new one, if prooblem persist the last resort is reinstallling OS, but wait for some answer maybe somone had your same issue and solved it with an easy method.

3. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    I did a clean install using DDU booted to Safe mode.

I just faced the problem again but this time with LatencyMon running. Unfortunately, the highest DPC was 462, which should not cause this kind of stuttering. In MSI afterburner graph I was unable to see anything wrong in GPU core clock, the only thing in particular was the FPS dip during the stutter.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Try 381.89 or 382.05, I prefer 382.05 over beta 382.19 (hotfix). If its still the same try older 378.92.
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

If nothing changes then try to install latest Intel MEI and Intel Technology Access - SetupITA 1.9.exe

I uploaded ITA manually now, can't find the link on intel site atm,.
    *You can block its access to web later - also you can delete its LAN part of the driver, but main 2 process need to run, TA driver and legacy part. This intel TA fixed all issues here with Ryse son of Rome @ win10+, it had lower gpu utilization and fps drops, like I was cpu bound for some reason.

maybe also update that X79 to latest available uefi bios

btw 1080ti stresses your cpu OC more, especially its build-in pcie controller, cpu system agent voltage - vccsa +offset can help too and fix such anomalies, e.g. 0.100v+ offset.

Last edited: May 22, 2017

5. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    ok I installed the 382.05 version, and I removed a lot of folders from the setup as I've seen in another thread, so it did not install NvTelemetry process.

My bios is on the latest version, so are the intel drivers compatible with my mobo. Last time I checked, I could not install the latest version as they are not compatible with my chipset, so I had to install the latest ones that are, which are rather old by now.

I am using Windows 7 btw.

I will perform more tests on the following days.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! :)

6. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Ever considered upgrading to windows 10? Don't let the "Tinfoil Hat" Windows 10 haters stop you. Also, what do you have for a power supply? Make and watts?

7. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    when it stutters is your gpu usage dropping dramatically? have you tried it with your cpu/bios at stock? I get the same issue at 4.5 on my cpu core , it was worse when i was sli . that said my drops were more frequent and lasted only a fraction of a second

8. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    5+ yr old cpu....over clocked and memory spd beyond cpu specs.....i`d say theres your answer and the 3820 wasn't all that fast so probably bottle necking a bit

9. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    @sniperbr0 SORRY~

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  10. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    1. Is your Windows 7 running legit or pirated ?
    2. Windows 10 Pro cost about less ten bucks.

I don't even need install chipset driver for Windows 10.

2 cents.

11. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I get this problem aswell....

and have noticed it between loading screens
    the game will freeze up
    and the only way to unfreeze the game is to alt+tab+del then select cansel
    or the other way is to alt + enter then back into the game....

its with certain games not all games
    happens with the witcher 3 and csgo that i have noticed it
    and a few other games...

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    First thing I would do is reset your system to non-OC, then test it on games maxed out to push the GPU. If it works, then it could be a power draw issue across your PSU and MB not feeding enough power to it when you OC.

If it still does not work, then I would look at PSU. Regardless of any rating, sometimes the main lines that carry power is not good enough, especially with those 6 to 8 pin converters. Get real 8 pin cables and make the PSU really allows enough AMPS through those lines.

That would be my first guess.

13. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I had in fact forgotten to update my profile details since some time ago, sorry about that. Last year I was running @4.3 stable, but one of my quad channel sticks went bad and I reverted to stock in order to diagnose. I have replaced my memory for a DDR3-1600 1.5v dual channels sticks as the previous ones were 1.65v (as The Goose mentioned, they were out of specs), so my system is currently as stock as it can be. I was actually thinking about OCing again, but I need to figure out this first.

I do not think it is PSU, I played Doom and Talos Principle in 4K just fine for hours (except with this once in an hour freeze), hitting the power limit for the GPU with 99% GPU usage. If power was a problem, I believe the problem would result in many more freezes or stability problems. Also, the DDR game where the problem is most noticeable uses 10% CPU and 2% GPU, so the system is very relaxed on power when running that game, but it does not stop the freezing.

Also, I have a G-sync monitor and I use G-Sync all the time. I never had any problems with it before on my 770, but I've seen in other threads people having problems with G-Sync causing stutters in the latest drivers, so it could be a G-Sync + Driver issue. If anyone knows about this being a known bug, please provide more information about it if possible, like which driver introduced the issue.

I forgot the check the Windows Event Log to see if there is a crash going on in the background and being logged there. I will do this once I get home.

@Mr_ALLroy, is it possible to know how much wattage the system is consuming without using electric tools?

14. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    I also had 2-3 second freezes in some games when I upgraded to a 1080ti, and thought it was down to a bottleneck of some sort (i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz, ddr3 ram @ 1866mhz).

I did some searching and found Malwarebytes "Randomware protection" and/or "Self protection module" may be the cause of these stutters. Today I disabled both, and the stutters seem to have gone away.

So far tested in Dirt Rally, where i usually get at least one freeze per stage.

I'll keep you updated it they return.

Malwarebytes version 3.1.2.1733

15. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I've had this sort of mini-freeze a few times as well, but so rarely that I didn't bother to investigate, not even once a month in my case.

I don't think hardware instability is a likely culprit here, complex systems like PCs don't just take a 3s break and then continue functioning 100% fine if they are unstable, same goes for insufficient power. Whenever I had a PSU issue I'd either get a spontaneous shutdown, spontaneous reboot or just a black screen which required a hard reset to get out of. It's especially unlikely to be a CPU/RAM-related issue if the music and game run fine "in the background" while the actual image is frozen.

I'd guess it's some software issue, driver related or not. I also had some very weird behavior at 4K with an image remaining scrambled/frozen on screen and having to restart my monitor. I've seen this on HDMI 2.0, never on DP and it still happens once in a while. Maybe my cheapo no-name HDMI cable isn't quite good enough.

16. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    I do not run any antivirus or malware protection programs (not even windows defender), I usually monitor services, running processes and tasks looking for suspicious stuff. I know this does not guarantee I am infected, but well, I did not have such problems on the 770.

But I am curious as to how upgrading to the 1080ti introduced this problem in your PC, assuming you already had these programs running and you did not face such problems before installing the 1080ti.

17. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    I guess it was a coincidence that at the same time I upgraded I started to see freezes. I may be wrong about the stutters disappearing altogether, I need to do more testing.

18. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    You could use a wattage meter but I wouldn't bother wasting your money.

For your system, you should be fine with an 850/860 Watt supply. And make sure it's from a reputable manufacturer such as Corsair, EVGA, Coolermaster and Antec.

Most of these manufacturers have "Power supply calculators" that help you figure out the minimum wattage you should have. Here are a few of those sites.

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

https://seasonic.com/psu-calculator/

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/psu-finder

You can do the calculations on all of them and average your findings. You can also go with a higher rated "watts" supply, that won't affect anything other than your wallet. But if you plan on adding another video card or other components in the future, it's something to consider. I also recommend going with an 80 Plus gold or higher. This will save a bit more on your electrical bill. Not a whole bunch, but still some.

Just to emphasize, a "bargain" power supply won't necessarily give you the rated specs. They have a higher failure rate and when they fail, can cause quite a lot of damage to your other components. They usually don't have the electrical protections in place to protect from any such failure. In my mind, a quality power supply is the most important thing to consider when building a system. http://www.jonnyguru.com/ is, in my opinion, the best place to get detailed information on power supplies.

I know this isn't a "power supply" thread, but I hope this helps clear that part of your problem.

19. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    UPDATE: Problem still there on 382.05. Nothing shows up in the event viewer when it happens.

EDIT: Replaced Rivatuner 7.0 for version 6.6.0, but problem still there.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Corsair AX860 is already overkill for his system, you don't need more power.