Installing Windows 7 via USB on AM4 Ryzen

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by AMDK6, May 22, 2017.

1. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    Anyone install Windows 7 through USB flash drive or optical drive? I'm curious if the USB 2.0 ports work on AM4 or have they butchered them like Intel so they only work with an xHCI driver making them non bootable or unable to finish the Windows 7 installation through USB?

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Have you tried installing from DVD?

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you wont get wu updates on win7 using the ryzen cpu, this includes security updates. even if you do install it atlest not officially, you know this right?

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I thought there was already a work around for this artificial barrier imposed by Microsoft?

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    which was imply by officially part of my statement

Part me want to say they did to force people to get win10 other part me says it was done for reason and that wont be realized by people that did do this, to few years down the road.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The only reason is to force adoption of Windows 10, nothing more nothing less.

I will stop here as it's off topic for this thread.

7. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Hi.

first off: Updates for Kaby Lake / Ryzen -> http://www.pcworld.com/article/3191...-and-ryzen-pcs-receive-windows-7-updates.html
    & here http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=413995

About the USB ports, you will be able to boot and do the setup from the USB stick. But you will need to either slipstream the AM4 chipset drivers (from AMD homepage) into the USB install image (install.wim) with NTLite or alternative.

Another option is to use a PS/2 keyboard after the installation of W7 to download and install the chipset drivers.

Because USB after the first real boot (post install) will not work out of the box due to missing drivers.

As you can see it's no biggie tho' you just need to chose your method of how you wanna make sure those drivers are loaded once W7 is installed.

PS/2 keyboard <- OR -> slipstream the driver into install medium

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  8. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    DVD is not a problem as long as it is internal. I'm interested in seeing if anyone has tested the AMD AM4 motheboards corresponding AMD USB ports to see if it can be done on USB 2.0 ports. USB 3.0 is not natively supported. The latest Intel USB ports are butchered so the USB 2.0 do not function properly to complete the installation via USB.

9. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    I'm not concerned with downloading updates or restricted updates from MS. Just if Windows 7 can be installed via USB 2.0 ports (not internal SATA) on an AMD AM4 socketed motherboard. Intel butchered their USB ports and I want to know if AMD also did the same or not. If they didn't that opens up more people to pick AMD over Intel going forward.

10. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    I'm sure any update MS releases downloaded via online can be altered for offline installation. But I'm not to concerned with anything beyond Windows 7 SP1 for the moment and any later update probably shadily installs the Windows 10 forced update patch I've heard about.

11. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB

Yes I've tried these similar methods on Intel Skylake but does the Windows 7 installation through USB 2.0 ports work till completion to the Windows 7 Desktop screen using just a PS/2 keyboard? Or does it stop somewhere during the installation as if it can't access the USB device from which it is installing from to complete the installation?

This is an issue only currently found on the butchered Intel USB ports where it doesn't complete the installation since it can't detect the source USB Windows 7 setup files. I want to know if the AMD AM4 USB 2.0 ports have the same issue that Intel USB 2.0 ports have.

Can you check on your motherboard if the AMD USB ports have something called "xHCI hand-off" in the BIOS?

<<<"Because USB after the first real boot (post install) will not work out of the box due to missing drivers.">>>

Okay is this after the full Windows 7 installs and first time going to the desktop after a clean install or do you mean just copying the Windows 7 installation files but does not get into the desktop portion?

As for the USB ports not working you are referring to the AMD's built in USB ports or 3rd party?

If the AMD USB ports don't work have you tried modifying them from the earlier AM3 USB drivers to patch add the Hardware IDs to see if they work on the AM4 USB ports?

Do you have a snapshot of the Device Manager screen of all your devices shown?

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Not sure while you are singling out USB 2.0. All the ports on my particular board are either 3.0 or 3.1. The only way to get 2.0 is by using one of the two headers on the board. Not sure if any AM4 boards have USB 2.0 ports as part of the back panel. But 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0.

13. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    It should be obvious that USB 3.0 ports are not natively supported for installing on Windows 7 or older without slipstreaming the USB 3.0 drivers. If you are saying USB 2.0 ports don't exist on AM4 as rear USB ports I kind of doubt that as you didn't do your research. Usually the cheaper low end motherboards would have a mix of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports but even on high end they are available.

http://*************/amd-ryzen-am4-motherboard-round-up-msi-gigabyte-asrock-asus-x370/

Also with the loss of xHCI hand-off in most BIOS I'm curious if AMD also removed this BIOS option. If it is not present than USB 3.0 ports are dead to USB installation without additional modification of the ISO except for Windows 8 and higher.

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    First off, "not sure" would automatically indicate it is an uninformed piece of information. As for not doing their research, download and read a couple mainboard manuals and you will have the answer to the hands off question. Your post comes across as insulting and I am out. Good luck.

15. greggg62

greggg62 Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD 4890
    I just bought a new gigabyte motherboard and a ryzen processor and am finding it impossible to install windows 7. The install process says things like: Cannot install because hard drive has a GPT partition. Or, It has an MBR partition. Or, and this is great. Exact quote: "the partition you selected might contain files from a previous windows installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will be able to access the info in Windows.old, but you will not be able to use your previous version of Windows."....click OK.
    Then, when OK is clicked, I get this message: "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more info."....NEXT..... Right ! It saw a partition BEFORE this click......
    This crap of getting windows 10 rammed down peoples throat pisses me off. So, I am now looking for the first time ever at Ubuntu. For fun, try googling " installing windows 7 on an AM4 motherboard"......Google comes back empty. Imagine that ! Empty. I am also going to build another box for an AM3+ install like I had before. I will use that one for internet browsing and other net related work. Will use the stinking windows 10 box only for gaming.
    I wish some amateur out there would hack the worthless bios on this gigabyte board. Phuk a bunch of microsoft and gigabyte, and asus, and msi, et al.

16. Jamin280672

Jamin280672 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX480 8gb Boost
    Gigabyte and msi both have tools you can download for free, can't remember off hand what gigabyte is called, it should be included on the driver disk you got with your board, but msi is called smart tool, it will create a bootable Windows 7 USB stick for you and add nvme and USB drivers to it for you, all you need is a Windows 7 iso and obviously a USB stick.

As for your issue, simply delete all partitions on that one hard drive until you have 1 complete unpartitioned space then click next, the installer will create the partition type itself just before copying files begins., make sure you've backed up anything you want to keep before deleting the partitions.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You could always install it in a VM, then clone your VM partition onto a real drive.

HK-1 likes this.
  18. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    yep you are 100% correct and then Bingo...lol :D

19. AmmoMark

AmmoMark Guest

GPU:
    GeFORCE GTX750Ti
    A bit late to the party, but if anyone is interested. This forum and page showed up when I was searching a solution on Google.

So for anyone else that may have need:

I had installed a new CPU (Ryzen 5 3600x) and an ASUS ROGSTRIX B450-F Gaming motherboard into an existing build with Win 7 OS. Along with 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 memory.

I did not know Win 7 was not supported at the time.

So, no USB or LAN support and no drivers on the supplied disk. Beside my USB keyboard and mouse, I had an old PS2 keyboard but no mouse.

I was able to do it by using another machine to research the chipsets on the motherboard and download and write the LAN and AMD chipset driver to a DVD then installed an old DVD RW player on the Ryzen machine. Had to relearn keyboard shortcuts for normal mouse functions.

From what I read, the motherboard has two LAN controllers. An IntelĀ® I211-AT, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller and a second Realtek PCIe WLAN RTL8822be controller.

I was leery about the drivers I could find on the Intel controller so I got drivers for the Realtek controller. I used the Realtek website out of the Czech Republic at https://www.realtek.cz/download-RTL8822BE-wireless-driver-for-Windows7-64bit.html , file name is win10-v2023.67.0925.2017.zip. It says Win10 in the name but on the page it's listed for Windows 7 64bit.

For the motherboard, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, I got the drivers from AMD. This gave me USB and some others for Windows 7.
    https://www.amd.com/en/support
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

After a lot of frustration it finally pulled together.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  20. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Source
    if you use whdownloader or wumt with offline wsusscn.cab you are fine.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020