Installing Windows XP on AM4 Ryzen 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by AMDK6, May 22, 2017.

1. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    Windows 7 is now supported. Anyone here try installing XP on any AM4 CPU and any success or failures? I'm hoping it either installs fine or need some files to be modded.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Windows 7 yes, but XP? Why?

3. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Because it's the 'best Windows yet!'

4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    I think it is time to move on mate

unless your using some old ass hat hax tools?

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

True XP is 32-bit only, meaning limited to 4 GB of usable RAM. Not really practical! Besides, most new software won't run on it and it's a security hole quagmire. XP 64-bit is actually Server 2003 'XPerised', where Windows XP was 5.1, XP x64/Server 2003 was version 5.2.

A separate nostalgia note, Server 2003 can be converted into XP (all the base code is there, includign the XP boot logo!), but still use 2003 updates. If someone were to insist on running XP it would probably be a less-dangerous security hole wise preposition.

Realistically Windows 10 should be used. I know a lot of people are anti-Windows 10, but most of the time the reasons are pretty p!$$ p00r, I wouldn't be surprised if it were started by a competitor or someone with competitor centric idealogies.

6. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    Legacy software run natively on a modern computer runs super silky smooth. The 8 cores of the Ryzen 7 can be tapped into as long as you can install XP. XP works on Skylake so I'm just curious if anyone has attempted it on the Ryzen 7 yet. Dual Boot.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I would try it just for giggles lmao. I'll see what I can do tonight!

8. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    Xp 128gb

XP has been patched to 128GB. Sorry this is news to you. :)
    ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10547

I wouldn't worry about security which is beyond the scope of the original thread. But if you can image your OS in a clean state restoring XP will only take 5 seconds due to its small size. If you install software that intercepts any programs from running you can easily avoid 95% of the crap that tries to infect your OS regardless if it is XP or Windows 10. Most of the time infection is caused by the user running a file they got tricked into opening. A simple OS image restore in 5 seconds and you are back to a clean OS uninfected. Don't believe the hype that you must always use the latest Windows OS to feel safe. This may be true for novice users or newbies. But then W10 will become obsolete just like every previous OS because of no more support to patch these loopholes. And 0 day ones can get Windows 10 as well so nothing is safe. But restoring a 20+GB image vs a 2GB image I'll take the 2GB one. The main reasons Windows 10 isn't as accepted compared to say Windows 7 is the added spyware and defaulted snoop options during setup. By default they should have made it NO no no no no... Also you can no longer activate the W10 copy offline or by phone. I'm not sure why the sudden change from Windows 7 and earlier except to crack down on piracy or something is the only reason I can think of. The earlier Windows OS you could install and no need to activate. Windows 2000 seemed to be the last OS that followed this rule.

But as far as any updates I'm not too concerned about those and I'm sure most hackers are going to target Windows 10 and 7 now compared to XP or Vista which only make up about 10% of the share world wide. And again any infection can be restored back to clean state in seconds.

But if you truly wanted Windows 10 to be accepted they should have just made it free to use and no activation required similar to Mac OS strategy these days with Sierra and so on.

But on a side note if Windows 7 had DX12 support patch update no one would even bother with Windows 10. That's just my opinion but unless you got some good reasons to choose 10 over 7 if both had DX12 support I can't see any. Not to mention a lot of USB 3.0 driver issues for Windows 10 due to in-box or lack of official Intel ones.

HK-1 likes this.
  9. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    It will work on your system Intel Skylake. I'm looking for a pure AMD Ryzen user or other AM4 socketed CPU since XP drivers don't exist.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Can you name some software that runs on XP but not on 7?

Genuine question, I'd like to try getting it to run on 7 myself, or know an alternative that runs on 7 fine, I can't think of anything that anyone would need to run (personally) that only XP can run today

11. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    There's probably a huge list for that if you google around. I haven't spent the time running XP software on Windows 7 to give you that list. But if you can imagine running Windows 98 games on XP I'm sure there is a huge list that won't work properly as a comparison. But namely legacy games will not 100% work on Windows 7. About what percentage that won't run on Windows 7 I don't know the figure as I haven't tried. For non graphical software I'm sure Windows 7 might be able to run 100%. But I prefer to run the software on the native OS it was meant for the best compatibility without tweaking it and it also runs the fastest. Also the memory usage of older programs uses a smaller fraction than those of Windows 7 64 bit. So assuming you had identical setups for XP and Windows 7 and installed the 32 bit versions on the XP and the 64 bit versions on the W7 you should notice a sizable difference in space usage for the same functionality.

Compare the space difference used between XP and 7 it will be dramatic.

But just from an OS comparison for a complete install.

Windows XP is under 2GB
    Windows 7 is around 20GB.

Also there will be a day when Windows 7 will no longer be supported by any graphics cards so I'll be waiting for when that happens to grab that last generation for running Windows 7 specific software on the latest hardware that can install Windows 7.

I'm glad they got a Ryzen that has 8 cores and uses 65 Watts. Otherwise it wouldn't have peaked my interest. Poor Intel is still stuck with 4 cores maybe for another generation or two. I just wish there was some socket 1155/1150/1151 adapter to use on AMD CPUs. I got a nice passive cooler I want to mount on it. I'm not sure why didn't AMD just use the same mounting holes as the Intel ones for AM4.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    But who cares?

Why does that even matter?

Not 20gb, more like 8gb with pagefile+hibernation disabled.

13. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I know, I was just joking...sort of. If I could still use XP (or better yet Windows 2000) I sure as heck would though, just to avoid the massive bloat of the newer versions. I moved to Linux after Windows 7, but keep a Windows 7 install handy for those pesky things that just aren't as good on Linux (games and some of my video/music recording/mixing stuff).

But, back on topic...

14. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    Why does what matter? Space consumption? Would you rather have a 20GB OS or a 200GB OS? I'll take a small OS size any day. Or are you thinking what advantage would a smaller OS size make? Maybe it can be loaded into pure memory instead of run off disk if someone patches it?

As far as installation size Windows 7 definitely is not 8GB. I am talking about Windows 7 64 bit installed clean with pagefile and hibernation disabled which you also stated. I'm not sure where you are getting your W7 OS as 8GB only space used. If you want to talk about to the exact GB it is identified as 20.7GB size on disk, 22.3GB actual used with 64KB allocation unit size. Actual size on disk would be around 16.9GB probably on 512 byte allocation unit size. Even installing Windows 7 64 bit you need at least 17GB of free space or it won't even start.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Afaik installing XP on Haswell and newer is a tough job mostly for missing drivers.

If you intend to game on XP it may be a no-go. I recently researched this a bit and found an example case where XP was installed on Haswell laptop.

In theory it worked but there were lots of unknown devices ie. missing drivers etc. Wouldn't probably work as a gaming machine as the system's not running properly.

Ryzen has no XP support whatsoever and it's a new platform so you can't use older chipset drivers for example.

16. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Installing XP is a SIN. Your going to hell for that. lol jk I think.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    WindowsXP has a limit of 4GB supported, without being "modified". Modified does not mean "patched".

Without functional drivers, memory support means nothing. Since there are no functional drivers for current hardware, XP is useless.

alanm likes this.
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I don`t believe you can restore volume from image in 5 seconds. Video with stopwatch or it never happened.

As for newer OSs - bloated or not they use new features of new hardware (CPU instructions, CPU facilities, ACPI facilities, PCI Express facilities etc) to do the job faster/more efficiently.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  19. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    restoring a disk image of 150gb on a samsung 960 pro drive, with a external 1TB samsung USB C flash drive takes me 3-4mins, I think its time to upgrade your drives. then wouldn't matter how big your disk images are, and actually use a modern OS that supports modern hardware.

20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I suggest you to virtualize Windows XP. You can use VMWare Player, Virtual Box or Microsoft Hyper-V if you have Windows 10 Professional. You will no longer find Windows XP drivers for modern GPUs, but under modern virtualization software you can enable some sort of 3D acceleration for basic functionalities. Unless you need to run very old software requiring kernel drivers, you do not need Windows XP at all, even to play the majority of legacy games, since Windows 10 comes with 8-bit and 16-bit colour depth support (note: you may need to manually enable those options on single executables). For DOS games of course there is dosbox.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017