Can no longer boot with any media with secure boot turned on

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by SacredKnight27, May 18, 2017.

1. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Title pretty much speaks for itself. I've always had SecureBoot on, and have never had a problem with this machine. And all of a sudden a few days ago, with no hardware changes whatsoever, I suddenly can't boot from any other media device unless SecureBoot is off. Be it DVD, ISO image on USB, nothing. An already installed Windows will load just fine with it on, just can't boot from any other device unless I turn it off first. I'm just really confused as to why this is all of a sudden a problem when it never has been before. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    rebuild the secure cache?

3. SacredKnight27

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    My uefi (asus) has a key management section, where you can load and unload the keys. I have unloaded and reloaded if that's what you mean, with no affect.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Looks like SecureBoot finally started to work as intended.

5. SacredKnight27

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Its intended to not allow booting from a genuine disc/ISO?

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not sure about DVDs, never used them on a system new enough to support secure boot, but for USB format the drive to FAT32 and copy the ISO contents over, or use Rufus and choose the UEFI option (GPT if the drive is GPT rather than MBR)

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  8. SacredKnight27

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Nope, no dice. I do use Rufus and set up the USB image that exact way and it still won't work. Even uninstalled my AV just on the off-chance that had anything to do with it but no change. Just all of a sudden literally within the last few days--because the last Insider ISO I used I was able to boot no problems as usual--I can't do it anymore. I have no idea what happened and its just driving me nuts. I'll just leave it off, there's nothing I can't do that I'm aware of with it off, its just one of those things where I'd really like to know what changed or what I possibly did in the span of a few days to change how it worked, heh.

Btw thanks to all, appreciate the help anyway. :)

Last edited: May 18, 2017