Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition LCS and more Specs
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 5960K
Mainboard: X99
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Radeon Vega Frontier Edition LCS and more Specs - 05-17-2017, 07:53 | posts: 29,252 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Last night we reported about the new announcements from AMD.¬*The 'mission intelligent' enterprise graphics card¬*is fitted with 16 GB of HBM2 graphics memory and has a memory bandwidth if 480 GB/se...

Radeon Vega Frontier Edition LCS and more Specs
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
Fox2232
Ancient Guru
 
Fox2232's Avatar
 
Videocard: Fury X - XL2420T(Z)@144Hz
Processor: i5-2500k@4.5GHz NH-D14
Mainboard: MSI Z68A-GD80[g3]
Memory: 4x4GB 1600MHz 9,9,8,20 1T
Soundcard: Essence ST / AKG K-701
PSU: FSP Gold series 750W
Default 05-17-2017, 08:13 | posts: 5,516 | Location: EU, CZ, Brno

So, it runs at 1.42GHz. And has 2 HBM2 stacks of 8GB.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
fantaskarsef
Ancient Guru
 
fantaskarsef's Avatar
 
Videocard: 1080Ti @h2o
Processor: 5930K @h2o
Mainboard: R5E @h2o
Memory: Ripjaws 32GB DDR4
Soundcard: ALC1150
PSU: AX 1200i
Default 05-17-2017, 08:24 | posts: 6,794 | Location: Austria (no kangaroos here)

As it looks that it does boost to 1.5Ghz I can easily imagine big Vega to boost to 1.6GHz with a proper aftermarket cooler (or anything witch liquid cooling of course).
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
zer0_c0ol
Ancient Guru
 
zer0_c0ol's Avatar
 
Videocard: FuryX cf
Processor: intel 3930k
Mainboard: rampage iv extreme x79
Memory: 8 gigs kingston hyper x d
Soundcard: audigy 2zs gold
PSU: antec 850 w
Default 05-17-2017, 09:04 | posts: 2,978 | Location: mostar(BIH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2232 View Post
So, it runs at 1.42GHz. And has 2 HBM2 stacks of 8GB.
13 tflops it has to run 1550 or 1600 for that one
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
Diablosg
Newbie
 
Diablosg's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI Armor OC GTX 1080
Processor: Ryzen 1700 stock
Mainboard: Gigabyte Gaming 5 X370
Memory: 32gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: EVGA G2 650w (Noisy)
Default 05-17-2017, 09:21 | posts: 4

I hope that the card comes in black and red or atleast the the blue colour on the gold card needs to be rgb ( Cause RGB increase perf by 5% right )
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
SetsunaFZero
Member Guru
 
SetsunaFZero's Avatar
 
Videocard: Msi 980Ti 6G
Processor: i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extrem6
Memory: 32GB
Soundcard: SB Titanium, Logitech G51
PSU: EVGA 1000G2
Default 05-17-2017, 09:43 | posts: 66 | Location: Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablosg View Post
I hope that the card comes in black and red or atleast the the blue colour on the gold card needs to be rgb ( Cause RGB increase perf by 5% right )
or paint it yourself in Red for the extra 25kW
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
kastriot
Master Guru
 
kastriot's Avatar
 
Videocard: Z-AMP.extr-GTX980 1.5GHz
Processor: X5650@4GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Memory: Avexir&GSkill 24GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 05-17-2017, 10:32 | posts: 701 | Location: Kosovo/Pristina

So at same clock fast as fury analogue to 9xx and 10xx nvidia series nothing revolutionary except H265 encoder and less power.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
TheDeeGee
Ancient Guru
 
TheDeeGee's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
Processor: Intel Core 4770K
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
Memory: Crucial Ballistix LP 16GB
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760
Default 05-17-2017, 10:36 | posts: 5,048

So they still havn't figured out the Heat problem, seeing it needs Watercooling
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
asturur
Member Guru
 
Videocard: Geforce Gtx770 4gb (2SLI)
Processor: Core i7 990x
Mainboard: asus p6t v2 deluxe
Memory: 24 GB ddr3 1866 mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: Enermax platimax 1350W
Default 05-17-2017, 10:55 | posts: 62 | Location: Rome, Italy

it is just a reworked fury 9x or something completely new?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
jortego128
Member Guru
 
Videocard: AMD R9 285
Processor: AMD Ryzen R7 1700
Mainboard: Gigabyte AB350-Gaming
Memory: 8GB GSkill FlareX 2666MHz
Soundcard:
PSU: 450W
Default 05-17-2017, 11:55 | posts: 51

Unfortunately I think the fact that not a single gaming benchmark was shown is telling. AMD love to toot their own horn when they've got something that can beat the comp. Remember all the shenanigans they pulled, trolling Nvidia during the R9 290x days?

All we hear on Vega concerning gaming is...... crickets. That and at least on paper, it looks like an overclocked Fury X.

If Fury X =8.6 TF and Big Vega= 13 TF that's right at a 50% increase. Most benchmarks Ive seen for games and synthetics like 3dMark show that the Ti is between 80% to 100% faster than the FuryX across the board.

Numbers don't lie. To compete with the 1080Ti the Vega would have to be roughly twice as fast as FuryX, and the TFlops do not reflect that...
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
nevcairiel
Member Guru
 
Videocard: MSI 1080 Gaming X
Processor: Intel Core i9-7900X
Mainboard: MSI X299 GamingPro Carbon
Memory: G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
Soundcard:
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2
Default 05-17-2017, 11:59 | posts: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jortego128 View Post
Unfortunately I think the fact that not a single gaming benchmark was shown is telling.
They showed no gaming benchmarks because these cards are for the HPC segment, they fight Tesla P100/V100, not GeForce. NVIDIA didn't show gaming benchmarks either when they announced the Tesla V100 based on Volta.

But in general you are right, its awfully quiet around consumer/gaming Vega.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
pharma
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Asus Strix GTX 1080
Processor: Intel 5960X @ 4.4
Mainboard: Asus X-99 Rampage Win7x64
Memory: Corsair LPX 2800 @ 3200
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 1200
Default 05-17-2017, 12:27 | posts: 686

Different card, same tricks. In this space the competitors are the Nvidia Quadro lineup - P2000, P4000(approx. $850) , P5000, or P6000. Checking a site that has some Quadro performance numbers for SPECviewperf v12.1.1 and comparing to those on the Frontier website shows why they chose to compare against the TitanXP.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru
 
Ryu5uzaku's Avatar
 
Videocard: 980ti gaming 1490/7700
Processor: 1800x 4.05ghz 1.35 volt
Mainboard: Asus CH VI x370
Memory: 16GB 3ghz ddr4
Soundcard: Asus strix pro
PSU: 850W SF platinum
Default 05-17-2017, 12:45 | posts: 6,545 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma View Post
Different card, same tricks. In this space the competitors are the Nvidia Quadro lineup - P2000, P4000(approx. $850) , P5000, or P6000. Checking a site that has some Quadro performance numbers for SPECviewperf v12.1.1 and comparing to those on the Frontier website shows why they chose to compare against the TitanXP.
My bigger issue with those Frontier numbers is how it compares to way inferior 2304 core Polaris 10....

I guess Nvidia gimps the Titan Xp vs P6000 somehow? They seem to be spec wise the same thing.

Also those colors were horrible to read on the dark theme
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 1080Ti
Processor: i7-7820x
Mainboard: X299 SLI PLUS
Memory: 32GB GSkill 3600
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/KEF LS50
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 05-17-2017, 12:50 | posts: 10,923 | Location: Terra Firma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu5uzaku View Post
My bigger issue with those Frontier numbers is how it compares to way inferior 2304 core Polaris 10....

I guess Nvidia gimps the Titan Xp vs P6000 somehow? They seem to be spec wise the same thing.

Also those colors were horrible to read on the dark theme
Quadro drivers have a bunch of performance enhancements for those kinds of workloads/software but the Titan XP uses the Geforce driver.

Last edited by Denial; 05-17-2017 at 12:55.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru
 
Ryu5uzaku's Avatar
 
Videocard: 980ti gaming 1490/7700
Processor: 1800x 4.05ghz 1.35 volt
Mainboard: Asus CH VI x370
Memory: 16GB 3ghz ddr4
Soundcard: Asus strix pro
PSU: 850W SF platinum
Default 05-17-2017, 12:58 | posts: 6,545 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
Quadro drivers have a bunch of performance enhancements for those kinds of workloads/software but the Titan XP uses the Geforce driver.
Makes sense. So depending on workload it matters quite a lot.

I guess AMD has similar drivers for their Pro cards with similar enhancements?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
pharma
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Asus Strix GTX 1080
Processor: Intel 5960X @ 4.4
Mainboard: Asus X-99 Rampage Win7x64
Memory: Corsair LPX 2800 @ 3200
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 1200
Default 05-17-2017, 13:01 | posts: 686

Difference between the GTX Titan X and Quadro P6000 Titan XP is a cut down variant of the GP102 core and the P6000 utilizes the full GP102 core, and has 24 gb gddr5x, 1 8-pin/250w, 12 TFlops with drivers specifically designed for this space.

Based on the performance numbers I'll be curious to see what the Frontier's price is.

Last edited by pharma; 05-17-2017 at 13:03.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru
 
Ryu5uzaku's Avatar
 
Videocard: 980ti gaming 1490/7700
Processor: 1800x 4.05ghz 1.35 volt
Mainboard: Asus CH VI x370
Memory: 16GB 3ghz ddr4
Soundcard: Asus strix pro
PSU: 850W SF platinum
Default 05-17-2017, 13:06 | posts: 6,545 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma View Post
Difference between the GTX Titan X and Quadro P6000 Titan XP is a cut down variant of the GP102 core and the P6000 utilizes the full GP102 core, and has 24 gb gddr5x, 1 8-pin/250w, 12 TFlops with drivers specifically designed for this space.
They did compare it to the Titan Xp not Titan XP. I know the difference is 12gb ram tho.

But ye I think it is in the drivers. My question is does it make any difference for amd which drivers are used since they did use Crimson drivers for this test.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 1080Ti
Processor: i7-7820x
Mainboard: X299 SLI PLUS
Memory: 32GB GSkill 3600
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/KEF LS50
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 05-17-2017, 13:08 | posts: 10,923 | Location: Terra Firma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu5uzaku View Post
Makes sense. So depending on workload it matters quite a lot.

I guess AMD has similar drivers for their Pro cards with similar enhancements?
Yeah - IIRC Pro Duo is actually pretty cool because you can install either driver, workstation or gaming. Frontier Edition is a workstation card though, so those results should be with workstation drivers. Price matters a lot too though - if this thing is $1000, P6000 is ~$5000 and clearly not 5x the performance. Pharma says the P4000 is $850 but it's not in the benchmark he linked so idk how it compares to the Frontier.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru
 
Ryu5uzaku's Avatar
 
Videocard: 980ti gaming 1490/7700
Processor: 1800x 4.05ghz 1.35 volt
Mainboard: Asus CH VI x370
Memory: 16GB 3ghz ddr4
Soundcard: Asus strix pro
PSU: 850W SF platinum
Default 05-17-2017, 13:17 | posts: 6,545 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
Yeah - IIRC Pro Duo is actually pretty cool because you can install either driver, workstation or gaming. Frontier Edition is a workstation card though, so those results should be with workstation drivers. Price matters a lot too though - if this thing is $1000, P6000 is ~$5000 and clearly not 5x the performance. Pharma says the P4000 is $850 but it's not in the benchmark he linked so idk how it compares to the Frontier.
I just checked the Frontier site which said the thing was tested on AMD graphics driver 17.20. Which left me wondering but could be nothing.

I am guessing this will be way cheaper. But at least it should deliver in FP16 side

And checking that SPECviewperf thing it seems AMD simply has been weaker for quite a while.

Last edited by Ryu5uzaku; 05-17-2017 at 13:28.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
pharma
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Asus Strix GTX 1080
Processor: Intel 5960X @ 4.4
Mainboard: Asus X-99 Rampage Win7x64
Memory: Corsair LPX 2800 @ 3200
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 1200
Default 05-17-2017, 13:17 | posts: 686

Google is your friend. P4000 review

May be a good match for the P4000, but at the $1000 dollar mark people will be looking at the P5000 since performance has precedence over cost in this space.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru
 
Ryu5uzaku's Avatar
 
Videocard: 980ti gaming 1490/7700
Processor: 1800x 4.05ghz 1.35 volt
Mainboard: Asus CH VI x370
Memory: 16GB 3ghz ddr4
Soundcard: Asus strix pro
PSU: 850W SF platinum
Default 05-17-2017, 13:45 | posts: 6,545 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma View Post
Google is your friend. P4000 review

May be a good match for the P4000, but at the $1000 dollar mark people will be looking at the P5000 since performance has precedence over cost in this space.
Yup. I just think going from WX7100 to Vega in workstation environment is rather poor result considering how much more hardware the Vega seems to have. And how much more raw power. While the cards before that seem to scale somewhat.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
RooiKreef
Master Guru
 
RooiKreef's Avatar
 
Videocard: RX 580 Red Devil 8GB
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus Maximus Viii Ranger
Memory: 16GB 2600Mhz Ripjaws V
Soundcard: Bose Companion 20
PSU: Superflower 650 80+Silver
Default 05-17-2017, 14:28 | posts: 169 | Location: South Africa

Huh? I'm confused. How is HBM1 faster than HBM2? R9 Fury X = HBM1 512 GB/s whereas Vega frontier = HBM2 480 GB/s?????
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 1080Ti
Processor: i7-7820x
Mainboard: X299 SLI PLUS
Memory: 32GB GSkill 3600
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/KEF LS50
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 05-17-2017, 14:37 | posts: 10,923 | Location: Terra Firma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooiKreef View Post
Huh? I'm confused. How is HBM1 faster than HBM2? R9 Fury X = HBM1 512 GB/s whereas Vega frontier = HBM2 480 GB/s?????
Four stacks vs two stacks.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
slyphnier
Master Guru
 
Videocard: MSI GTX1080
Processor: intel i7-950
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-X58-UD7 rev.2
Memory: Corsair CMPC7 6G
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + Logitech
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Default 05-17-2017, 15:08 | posts: 333

not things to concern
but those "R" on the corner led is for Radeon ?

anyone agree they should just go with AMD logo or Vega logo or even just let it blank ?

imo R letter on the led feel so ackward
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
labidas
Member Guru
 
Videocard: HD7870
Processor: athlon II x4 651k
Mainboard: Gigabyte A75m ud2h
Memory: 16gb 1600DDR3
Soundcard:
PSU: Chieftec 1kW
Default 05-17-2017, 15:40 | posts: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastriot View Post
So at same clock fast as fury analogue to 9xx and 10xx nvidia series nothing revolutionary except H265 encoder and less power.
so, the same as pascal v maxwell. nothing revolutionary...
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 2017, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.