EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 - Getting random black screens on PC boot up

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Darren Hodgson, May 5, 2017.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I got my GTX 1080 Ti SC2 from EVGA last week and it has been working flawlessly across all the games I've played even when overclocked to 2,000 MHz on the core and 12 GHz on the VRAM.

However, last night when I turned my PC on instead of seeing the UEFI screen briefly before my PC loaded into Windows I saw a black screen although the drive activity light was on. The Power button wouldn't work on the case to turn off but hitting Reset booted into Windows the second time without any apparent issues. After turning my PC off last night then same thing happened again this morning: a black screen and again pressing Reset on the case booted into Windows the second time.

What is causing this?

It seems unlikely to be a PSU issue since the card works 100% fine in Windows and I've not had a single crash or anything like that playing any game. I do recall seeing threads from GTX 1080 owners experiencing the black screen issue on starting their PC... not sure if that was a driver or Windows 10 Creators Edition issue though (not sure how software can cause a black screen immediately on turning on the PC though and before it has even loaded anything).

Any help would be appreciated. I don't think the card itself is faulty otherwise I would have experienced problems with running games by now (I played Mass Effect: Andromeda for 10 hours straight on Monday for example with no problems and benchmarks all ran fine).

Thanks.

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. I perhaps should elaborate that the issue first occurred last night and has happened both times I've turned my PC on so the "random" part of my post may not be true. It is possible that issue may occur every time I turn on my PC now in which case I will update this thread as I always turn my PC off before leaving for work and when I go to bed (unless I leave it on overnight to download games on Steam or something).

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.P.S. Some additional info... I use a 25" Dell U2515H monitor (2560x1440) with the supplied mini-DisplayPort cable, I installed the v382.05 WHQL driver for the card last night (but AFTER the first black screen occurred!) and I have not experienced this issue at all until last night even though I've had several NVIDIA graphics card since building this PC in June 2013 (GTX 980/GTX 980 Ti/GTX 1080 FTW).

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    It has nothing to do with your card.

Its a driver bug from Creators update + Nvidia.

I have it for several drivers now, nvidia is aware of it however doesnt seem to be rushed to fix it.

Besides black screen, you can also see an artifact line during windows boot.

What always helps me is a force restart, which results in normal boot.

Congrats on your new card!

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for the reply, cryohellinc. I turned my PC on ten minutes and it booted normally so it does appear this issue *is* random after all, although I never experienced it while I had my GTX 1080 FTW even though I've had the Creators Update installed for, what, six weeks now.

By the way, both times the black screen issue occurred I never saw any artifacts on screen; it was completely black.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Artifacts happen during windows spinning circle boot thingy, near logo.

It will be a reddish crappy line.

Other then that, might be a placebo, but it seems latest driver has decreased the occurrence of such issues.

7. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    It has nothing to do with the Creators Update ! Your card is tripping out or your BIOS is drunk. gl