Antivirus solution / suggestions

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by cryohellinc, May 1, 2017.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Hey guys,

For a while now I have been using standard windows defender, combined with anti spyware solution scans once a week.

Mainly due to my past experience with other "antivirus" solutions that are either too bulky and slow down your system, or literally do nothing besides looking fancy.

What im looking for is a solution that is lightweight, does its job in the background with minimal impact on performance of system overall.

Is there anything like that around these days?

What are you using and why, any suggestions?

Thank you!

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    NOD32 does all the above, lightweight, keeps quiet unless there's a problem, does the job

3. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I use AVG free. Almost NO impact on performance. I've been using AVG free for years, and never had a virus get past it.

4. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    I use 'Common Sense' protection.

It comes as a complete package with virus, malware, adware, nagware etc etc protection all in 1 handy bundle.
    Resource usage is so low that it doesn't even show on the task manager or in processes.

I swear it works better than most of the programs I am aware of. For instance, my 'Common Sense' protection alerted me to all of the crap inside a standard Nvidia driver installer.
    None of the popular downloaded programs managed to find that.

No issues for years.

Last edited: May 1, 2017

5. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Plus 1 for NOD32

Single NOD32 license will work on multiple PC's

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not having an AV installed shows that your common sense protection has already failed it's first task

7. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I never used a live anti-virus, just make your PC perform worse, especially boot times and when you open a application or file that isn't "white listed". I prefer utilities like malware-bytes anti-malware.

8. velho

velho Member

GPU:
    GTX660 2GB
    This. [​IMG]

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Incorrect.

Haven't used AV on my PC for over 10 years.
    Never had a single virus.

Although I can't say the same for others

10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I'm using the new version of Bitdefender Free. It is extremely light and it's web protection is fantastic. Some people might not like it since it has virtually no configuration options but it works so good, it really doesn't need any. Just install it, forget it, and let it do it's job. Which it does very well. It learns how you use your computer and adapts itself to that.It also gets very frequent definition updates and they happen completely unnoticed with no impact on anything you are doing at the time.

I have to acknowledge though that Windows Defender just keeps getting better with every update of Windows 10 and actually isn't bad at all now.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Zooke / Agent-A01, those are great cool stories there.

12. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Agreed

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Bitdefender free is good but has practically no configuration options.

I've been using windows defender (formerly security essentials) since 2009 with no infections. I also have emsisoft emergency kit as an on demand scanner. I also use ublock in all my browsers and a Hosts file to pre-empt infections so I don't rely on just an AV.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    And you know this because how? Because you occasionally run some scanner to check? Or because you just know there is no infection?

So you run a scan every X length of time to ensure you don't have an infection because you failed to install an AV, and the time between scans means you could have very well been running a data stealing piece of malware the entire time, and you are fine with that?

So because you have been lucky / your scanner hasn't detected anything in 10 years, you feel an AV is a waste of time?

Stupidity and ignorance IMO, genuine sites can easily become hijacked / infect you next time you visit, and multiple other ways to become infected other than downloading random exes

Common sense & AV = best protection

15. sidi0us

sidi0us Active Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    I've being using Eset products for more then 10 years, never had a problem. Although I know my way around Windows and I could do just fine for like 99% of the time, is it that 1% that I'm most afraid off :D.

16. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Eset Smart Security + Malwarebytes + weekly scans using Adwcleaner has done the job for me for years, can't fault them.

Also installing something at browser level such as "uBlock Origin". Stay away from any security suite that plasters its name all over Windows, as these usually slow it down.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  17. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I use Avira.

Nod32, bitdefender, avast, avg, kaspersky and a few others intercept your network traffic. Wouldn't touch them.

18. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Most Virus/Malware come from casual surfing of the internet. So how is intercepting net traffic a bad thing?

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Because I have ran scans multiple times over the years before OS reinstall just to check.

It has nothing to do with luck, just common sense.

I play games and browse the forums.

uBlock origin, don't use flash or java.
    The chances of being infected here is NIL.

So yes, AV is useless for me.

Is that clear enough for you?

There are plenty of power users who don't need AV.
    Insulting those who don't need it is pretty low.

Just because you get viruses doesn't mean I am stupid and ignorant facepalmpicard.jpg

20. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    The web protection is the most important part of a modern AV product. Avira doesn't have it? I wouldn't touch it.