Anyone using Vista in 2017?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by The General, Apr 28, 2017.

1. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    pointless discussion

Thread is closing soon. Good luck with whatever os you guys are enjoying. :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  3. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    Windows Vista will not be able to access many of websites.

one of the reasons driver support ended for it was the RSA key requirements for driver signing changed and only 7+ supports them.

4. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 10GB
    I've been using 8.1 for some time, also had been using on my Core 2 Quad setup from 2008 or 2009 and no problems whatsoever - in some cases slightly slower than 7, in some cases faster than 7.
    Don't use any magic 3rd party apps - just remove everything from PowerShell and voila - there are just like 2 or 3 apps left, for which you can just remove shortcuts and forget about them. Biggest mess comes usually from programs that are supposed to make Windows "better".
    Best Windows for me. I never liked Vista too much. And I've been using W7 for 7 years prior to 8.1. When you start using Win+X menu and put shortcuts on the desktop, you may forget about Start screen almost completely.

5. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Window 8.1 issues for me was game performance, it was bad. Most order games perform poorly, and most apps didn't work. Using windows 7 or Vista i don't have any issues with anything.

Ending support for the OS doesn't mean the OS is going to stop working. When it comes to a point where i can't use win7 or vista , then i will use win10 on a secondary build, but i highly doubt that happens anytime soon.

Websites is working fine for me, videos works great, browsers, music, apps, gaming is faster over windows 7. Vista is just like win7, but now that i have better hardware i can finally use the OS good without any hassle. Using either OS is fine, i just pick vista over win7. I also love the design and features of vista, who can forget about this
    [​IMG]

6. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    Good luck to you, but you'll see in time as TLS 1.0 is disabled across the net.

oh, also, better disable iphelper, since it leaks memory on vista (only fixed on 7+)

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not sure how Vista performs better than 7, Vista was a hog, 7 was essentially a massively optimised and fixed Vista with a much better UI

All I can assume is you're using bad drivers, all machines I have moved from Vista to 7 have performed worlds better

Using apps like Metro killer isn't the best idea either, grab something like StartisBack or another 3rd party start replacement to kill the start screen and unless you choose to open apps, you're more or less metro free with 8.1

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yep most likely bad/outdated drivers..

Better of with 8.1/7.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    We are for one of our Cisco dated VOIP interface, because it only works with XP and Vista.

10. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I'm a bit confused by some of the replies here. I have been using windows 7 for years, there's nothing wrong with the OS. It runs games, and videos and everything else perfectly fine, just like Vista. I said that Vista was just faster overall, that's because it uses less resources.(Recording is faster, some games are faster about 5% increase in framerates) I never said windows 7 is a problem or i had issues with it. As for windows 8.1, the main reason why i stop using that is because of the poor performance in older games and most apps did not work on windows 8.1 ( Keep in mind i was only testing the OS ) and i didn't care for the UI/Store. Even if i have used a different app to removed Metro, i still wouldn't have like the UI. Just like i don't like it in Windows 10. Also i install Windows 8 for gameloft but you have to have the store enable to be able to play those games. Why is there even a freaking store on a PC OS anyway?

Windows 8 and Windows 10 look like tablets. And i have no idea what in the world MS was thinking when they designed it. As for Vista being a system hog, yea that is only if you have slow hardware. Its working perfectly fine on my end, games, apps, videos, sites, can have lots of windows open, playing music haven't slowed down one bit. I do plan to use/test windows 10 again, but i will do that on my secondary workstation build i plan to build later. But if it doesn't work out I'm heading right back to using windows 7.

Anyways, I'm going to stick with Vista on this computer, if you guys like using windows 8 and 10, all the best. :)

11. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    I hate using Windows 10, but Forza Horizon 3 won't run on anything else, so I'm stuck with it. And since I'm too lazy to dual boot often, that's it.

But Vista was great after SP1, even better with SP2. One of the biggest underdogs in history. But it looks great and worked really fine with then current hardware. Had it running on a Pentium E2200 with a Nvidia 8800GS. It rocked for me back in 2008.

12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I know it'll still work. But just like in the past when an OS support ends, other vendors start to drop support for it as well. As long as you stay offline with it you should be fine.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Least you've got no telemetry to worry about with Vista :D

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i still have laptop that uses it, i still have yet to change it to win7

15. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Honestly your best is to when you can buy Xbox one. I am around Christmas. I am thankful Quantum Break was ported to play on Windows 7 though. Also think about building a secondary rig or just buy a nice cheap prebuilt on ebay to play older games.

DX11 update helps as well. Without it, can't play my favorite game Sleeping Dogs :)

Wait are you thinking about Viruses and stuff? Using 64bit Os's protects you from Viruses. If i was using 32bit it would be a big issue, but i never had any viruses using 64bit . Also what do you mean stay offline? I'm online now with it, and i don't have any problems. Browsers, videos all working in 1080p or 1440p just fine, downloading, watching movies, no problems at all.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Which is against experience of all other gurus (including me). I remember well how my work rig became faster and more stable after I installed Win7.

17. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Keep in mind, of the hardware that i use. :wanker: ;) I'm sure if i was using hardware from 2014-2017 yea windows 7 would be faster. But I'm using stuff from 2007-2008 haha. I'm using a x3220 from 2008 i believe and a GPU from 2010. It gets the job done extremely well, but its still old. But as i said i never had any trouble with windows 7, just vista uses less resources, thus my hardware yea its a bit faster.

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I had Vista on my laptop (after I had to uninstall the Windows 7 Enterprise) but man was it slow... and support was **** even before Microsoft axed the support for it. I upgraded that to Windows 10 Insider beta and that way I got it upgraded to full Windows 10 Pro for free. It runs soooo much better. Much better resource usage and no weird HDD trashing. Vista was dog slow resource hog.

19. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 10GB
    Just make sure your e-mail client, web browser and antivirus are updated, be fairly cautious and you're OK with Vista. My mother used XP until Dec last year with Avast, Firefox and Thunderbird and no problems at all.

20. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 10GB
    Win 8.1 configured correctly (without any 3rd party apps) looks 95% like W7, just better.