AMD Radeon Software don't support CRT @85hz anymore?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ayabetty, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ayabetty

ayabetty Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7970 Ghz 3GB
    Hi.Apologize for my english.
    I'm using a XFX HD7970 and a SUN 21inch CRT.But i'm not sure if Catalyst-14.12-Omega driver is the last one support CRT and let me select 85hz refresh rate.From that one,all newer driver i have installed only have 60hz,75hz,76hz,and112hz refresh rate on the list at windows 7 Screen Resolution advanced setting page.But 112hz is too high for a CRT,it makes my CRT out of scan range.So anyone could please help me about this?Have i missed something or do something wrong about the newer drivers?

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    You can still use CCC / RadeonSettings to create custom monitor settings. Which driver are you trying to use now?

3. ayabetty

ayabetty Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7970 Ghz 3GB
    I installed newest 17.4.3 yesterday,But because there is no 85hz refresh rate could be selected,I rolled my drivers back to 14.12 today.Chastity could you please give me a more detailed suggestion about what you said up there.or please give me a screen shot about how to create a custom monitor setting in RadeonSetting.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M

5. ayabetty

ayabetty Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7970 Ghz 3GB
    Oh my.Chastity,you are my life saver.It works.Only got a little problem when i was doing things on you last post.Not sure what it is but i have to change 'Time Standard' setting from 'Manual' to 'DMT' to make my monitor working correctly.Thanks you very much!BTW,I haven't got any performance improvement by updating this drivers.I was expecting i might could have 3 or 5 more fps in game because ver17.4 is 2years newer than 14.12.LOL.Maybe it's time to buy a RX480.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Monitors aren't all the same, so if you need DMT that's perfectly fine. Glad you learned something in the process. :) Getting a new card is always a bonus.

7. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I have to ask why are you using an CRT still

8. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Probably just because it is still more responsive and better looking than LCD in games?
    Sure, LCD have advantage of crisper fonts, less place eating and less weight...
    But...good LCD for gaming cost lots of money like 400e/usd+. So...

9. ayabetty

ayabetty Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7970 Ghz 3GB
    Yes,They are.And i think my desk have enough space for a CRT and the monitor is on the desk not on my arm so weight is no a problem.There still have 2 other reasons to make me still using CRTs.One is some old game only support CRTs or have best effect only on CRTs.Tomb Raider series(Core Design) for example .The second reason is once my pc can not run a game at 1280 too smoothly.I can always change resolution to 1024 with out got too much graphic quality losing.How do u guys feel when changing to a lower resolution on a LCD?At these days a good CRT is extremely rare and expensive,It will cost more than 700USD for each.I just like CRTs.Not can't afford a LCD.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  10. CRTFTW

CRTFTW Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 380x X2
    Be careful, RX 480 does not have DVI-I, so you can't get a VGA signal from it.

You will need an external adapter from VCOM or HD Fury, and they won't support resolutions as high as your 7970 can (like 2048x1536@85hz). Hopefully in the future we will see adapters that can go that high

11. ayabetty

ayabetty Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7970 Ghz 3GB
    Will a HDMI to VGA or a displayPort to VGA adapter solve that problem?

12. ayabetty

ayabetty Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7970 Ghz 3GB
  13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Are you really playing games at 1280x960 and 1024x768? I'm curious what games your PC can't play at those resolutions. Those are resolutions from like 15 years ago and there is no reason you should be having issues running games at max settings.
    Unless you are using DSR or whatever AMD calls it, there is no reason to upgrade your GPU for those resolutions.

14. ayabetty

ayabetty Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7970 Ghz 3GB
    I'm using 1600x1200 or 1280x1024 in different games.1024x768 and 1280x960 is for 17 or 19 inch CRTs.