Gigabyte 1080 Keeps Crashing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by jhumur, Apr 16, 2017.

1. jhumur

jhumur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 8 GB
    Hi guys. After much consternation and soul-searching, I recently to upgraded my GPU from a Radeon HD6950 (yeah, you heard that right lol) to a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce 8 GB card. It was time.

I put the card in along with a new SSD, installed a fresh copy of Win 10 Pro, used DDU to remove any Microsoft-supplied drivers, turned off drivers' auto-update and installed the 381.65 drivers from the Nvidia site. So far so good.

Then I tired to play Hitman on Steam (on the default settings of DX11 and 1080p). The system crashed just as the game was going into the startup menu. I went back and tweaked multiple settings but I couldn't get into the game.

I thought maybe it was a problem with the game itself so installed Bioshock Infinite, also on Steam, and launched it. The system crashed right in the middle of the title sequence!

At this point, I began to worry that maybe I had a bad card, so I run a stress test with FurMark at 1440p, which is my monitor's native resolution. The stress test ran without any problems. I started with an idle temperature of 32 C and maxed out at 69 C. From what I know, those are reasonable temps.

I don't know what to think or what else to do at this point. I am inclined to contact Newegg for a replacement, but I wanted to ask you guys if you had any ideas or any suggestions. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

P.S. My CPU is a i7-2600K. That's my next upgrade, probably to a i7-7700K.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    I suspect you have a problem with your PSU?

3. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    My first suggestion would be to uninstall the 381.65 drivers and do a clean install of the 378.92 drivers. See if that helps. If not, let us know and we can troubleshoot from there.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    What is your PSU?

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Most probably a power supply issue.

Or you didn't connect the power cables to the graphics card correctly, or the cables don't have enough pins (like 6 pins vs 8 pins). Did you check to make sure your power supply has the correct cables?

6. jhumur

jhumur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 8 GB
    Oops, sorry guys. In my haste I didn't supply one of the most vital pieces of information. My power supply is a Corsair HX850 850W GOLD. I don't suppose it's the power supply, do you?

@RealNC I have one of the two hardwired 6+2 PCI-E connectors on the PSU connected into the GPU. Is that correct?

7. jhumur

jhumur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 8 GB
    Excellent ideas! I'll try them right now, sequentially, starting with the drivers. I'll report back on what happens. Thank you.

8. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    Mine have a 6 and a 6+2 maybe yours is differant?

edit , just looked yours up it is only one 6+2 socket sorry :p

9. jhumur

jhumur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 8 GB
    Gentlemen, here's an update. According to your suggestions, I did the following sequentially, and ran the two games after each mod:

1. Rolled back the drivers to 378.92 using DUU for a clean install.
    2. Disabled Steam overlay
    3. Uninstalled GeForce Experience
    4. Swapped the 12v PCI-E cables.

The games crashed during the opening credit after each incremental change.

10. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Do you use the Aorus graphics engine software? I used that and it would hardcrash my system all the time.

I removed it: rock solid stability again (after restarting)

11. jhumur

jhumur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 8 GB
    No. Just whatever came in the driver package, which I think are some 3D drivers, HD Audio drivers, the PhysX system software, and the Control Panel.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    One thing to try: install MSI Afterburner, run it, set the "power limit" slider to its minimum value, click the "Apply" button, and launch the game.

If it crashes, then it's probably a GPU issue. Time to RMA.

If it runs, it can still be a PSU issue, but also a GPU issue.

Also, check what's the latest BIOS is for your mainboard, and if you're not on the newest version, update. BIOS updates are known to sometimes fix GPU compatibility issues.

13. jhumur

jhumur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 8 GB
    I will do that, thank you. I don't know what it means, if anything, but I had the ME Trilogy on Origin. Installed Origin and ME2, ran it. Got though the opening cinematics, and 5 minutes into the game at max setting. No problem. Also, my son's Catacomb Kids on Steam runs fine. BTW, I have the latest BIOS on mainboard. It's a few years old, but so is the card, which is as ASRock P67 Extreme 4.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Crash is so vague.

Does whole PC freeze, bsod?

Explain what crash is.

Do you have an event viewer log that says display driver crashed or what

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah could be anything, sometimes I got a crash in avp2010, verify game integrity in steam fixed it, think it was also by hitman absolution.

Maybe even visual c++ redist, try this tool
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393405

PS uninstall 3dvision if you don't use it.

16. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Have you looked at the Event log to see if there are any application issues around the time of the crash? It is possible that a file is corrupt (DirectX, Visual C++ redistributable, etc...) that needs to be reinstalled.

Edit: Have you tried any games not dependent on Steam? The Furmark benchmark work fine so it might be something related to using Steam installation.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  17. jhumur

jhumur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 8 GB
    @RealNC- I ran the games with MSI Afterburner cranked all the way down. I was able to get further into the games, basically to the starting menu before the games crashed. The BIOS version on my board is the latest that there is.

@Gerboy- In addition to trying RealNC's suggestion as above, I did try maxing out the voltage on the card using Afterburner. The games crashed just as quickly.

@Agent-A01: 007 here. You're right; just sayin' the game "crashed" isn't very informative. Here's what happens: the machine simply reboots. No blue screens, no freezes, just a sudden, unexpected reboot. Event viewer records nothing prior to the reboot and noting after that shed any light on the problem. I can say this because I cleared the Event log and went through a crash/reboot so I know exactly when the problem occurred. I can upload a log of the last reboot, if someone can tell me how to upload and in what format.

@Ti--Thank you for those suggestions. I'll try them out today and let you guys know.

@pharma--I cleared the event log and duplicated a crash/reboot. When I looked at the event log, there was nothing in the System or the Application area prior to the crash/reboot. There was an ERROR message in the Event Log time-stamped an hour or so after crash/reboot that said: "The previous system shutdown at 12:06:12 AM on 4/17/2017 was unexpected." Nothing else.

Regarding trying a game outside Steam: YES! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have the Mass Effect Trilogy on Origin. I installed and played ME2 with maxed-out settings...NO PROBLEM!

18. jhumur

jhumur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 8 GB
    Sorry I may have misspoke. What I did was to move the Power Limit slider in Afterburner all the way to the right (108%) I didn't change voltages manually anywhere. I am not sure if that's what you meant for me to do, or should I be doing something else. Sorry for the noob questions.

P.S. I can run FurMark at the 1440p preset all day long and not a problem.

19. jhumur

jhumur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 8 GB
    I am thinking of reinstalling everything, the drivers, Steam and the games. I ran Hitman in 1440p first. When it crashed/rebooted, I decided to take it down to 1080p. I have a number of other games on Steam. Bioshock Infinite, which failed. Tomb Raider, which also failed. Some games I have on Steam that I haven't tried yet: Bioshock I II remastered, Dishonored, Batman Arkham City GOTY, Fallout 3 GOTY, Star War-Knights of the Old Republic. I know that's an embarrassingly old collection of games, but I am not a big gamer lol. Anyway, do you see anything there worth running?

20. jhumur

jhumur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 8 GB
    Latest update: The system crashed/rebooted on 3DMark benchmarking.

21. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    You did so many changes that it going to take some time to figured out what is going on. You mentioned you change to New SSD, new GPU, and clean install of OS. Check OS install for any corruptions? Check the SDD for hardware/cable faults?

Are you over clocking the 2600k? Maybe cpu overclock needs to be adjusted. I had this problem with my 3770K, PC would crash on some demanding games, Arma 3 was one of them, had to lower cpu overclock to stop crashes. Thought it was my GPU, but found out it wasn't. Just seem to be the combination of both being over clock to their limits, in some games the PC would crash. Remember some of the hardware you are using is getting older, it could/will deteriorate over time.

22. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, two things you can do here, really:

1. Try a different PSU.
    2. Try the card in a different PC.

If you can't do any of these, then you should RMA the card anyway. If the new one they send you has the same issue, at least then you'd know it's something in your PC that causes this.