How bloated is your OS?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Deleted member 164252, Apr 4, 2017.

1. I was wondering what forced MS to add a Game Mode to their OS and the only thing I could come up with (other than lack of inspiration or intelligence) is an amount of bloatware installed on an average gaming PC.

So I'm starting this thread to better understand how bloated is you current Windows installation after cold boot.

I'll start with mine. A few minutes after initial boot (5-20) system settles down to:

[​IMG]

30 processes / 443 thread / 12500 handles (handles are not really important)
    and 900 MB of RAM used.

I should also point-out that I'm on Windows version 1511 (before Anniversary)

2. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 10GB
    900 MB is really nice! I'll throw my Win 8.1 later, but it will be 1GB+ (1.1 more or less)

3. ^ was that fullscreen poster really necessary? You can use imgur for thumbnail rescale, rescale it manually or hide it under spoiler TAG.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017
  4. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    This is with just the programs that run on start-up. Specs on the left.

[​IMG]

I have no idea how you have just 30 processes running. I keep my computer extremely clean, most startup items are disabled, only what's necessary for me runs on startup. Which is the icons that you see in the screenshot above.

5. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 10GB
    4GB? You serious?!

6. I have a few non-mandatory services disabled. (like 5 disabled, others are set to manual startup etc.)

But 4GB and 1500 threads? That is seriously bloated man. Maybe try doing a RESTART instead of shutdown. Shutdown is not a real shutdown in W10 if you use fastboot.

7. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I don't use fastboot. It's a 'proper' shutdown.

The only items I have running in startup are:

1. Soundblaster Control (For my Soundcard).
    2. Everything (HDD Search tool)
    3. Open Hardware Monitor (Runs in the background and logs temperatures, etc).
    4. Dropbox
    5. Unified Remote (Allows me to use the phone to control PC).
    6. Samsung Magician (Only use it for RAPID Mode).
    7. Adobe Updater Service
    8. Windows Defender
    9. Logitech Gaming Software (for my G510s Keyboard).
    10. MSI AfterBurner & RSST
    11. Process Lasso x64

Basically everything else comes with the OS (MS Services).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  8. tsukasa80

tsukasa80 Guest

GPU:
    Amd 7790 Oc'd
    Browsing a few websites, listening to music in aimp, and my extra services, msi after burner, firewall etc.

[​IMG]

9. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 10GB
    This does look like nowhere near 4GB of RAM. There is some serious problem, mate...

10. Well I was mostly referring to that almost 15 hours long up-time, which wouldn't be there after "proper" shutdown. But "normal" W10 startup stats are around <1.5GB of RAM and <1000 threads. This is way above.

edit. Actually I remember I saw something similar on my brother's Acer notebook. After removing most of Acer bloatware and some preinstalled W10 bloatware it went down to reasonable 1.1GB of RAM and 700 threads.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017

11. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I have 16GB RAM, I remember when I had 8GB Windows 10 used less RAM. It was using ~25% by default, it's stil using ~25% by default, but with double the capacity.

In the processes tab, Windows Defender uses 90mb, Dropbox uses 90mb, Everything uses 60mb, a bunch of others use 30mb or less, and the rest are all MS services running.

There's nothing running in the background that's out of places or using a lot of memory.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    139 processes right now, 2019 threads, 55690 handles :p 4.4GB RAM used. lol. That's the creator's update for you! Runs perfectly fine though. There's 6 firefox processes and 15 Vivaldis in that 139 figure.

13. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Right now, while in this forum on Internet Explorer and Windows 10 32 bit, on my RCA 10" Intel Atom tabtop it says.

1.1 / 1.9 GB memory used
    64 processes
    1059 threads

I have Clipboard Magic, Bitdefender free AV, and the usual wifi, battery, and sound volume icons in my system tray.

I never disabled anything in Windows 10 except for Cortana and some of the other things you can control from the options in Windows itself.

14. OrionCheung

OrionCheung Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8G
  15. Check this out.

You already use imgur, so by adding letter "m" or "l" to the end of hyperlink, you can make the image smaller:

[​IMG]

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Its the Samsung RAPID mode doing that, it caches so uses more ram. From reports I have seen real world performance is not better, just in some BM.
    I don't run it and uninstalled Samsung software (not needed IMO).

Also you can't compare memory used with different HW configs.
    Same OS, same software setup but one with 4GB and one with 16GB , the 16GB one will use more ram.

17. OrionCheung

OrionCheung Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8G
    But I want it 4k. =D.

18. It's also a link, you can click on it :)

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Too many variables to make this thread to have any use.

People with more RAM will inherently get more cached RAM at idle.

Even creators update adds more UWP apps and you will see many more processes as well.

20. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    Chrome (4 tabs), AIMP, Steam and utorrent.

[​IMG]