AOTS Gets AMD Ryzen CPU Optimizations - Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    One of the game titles that we had not benchmarked in our Ryzen review is Ashes of the Singularity. It was only afterwards that I learned this title probably took the biggest hit at 1080p gaming with ...

AOTS Gets AMD Ryzen CPU Optimizations - Benchmarks

2. Sunesha

Sunesha Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 960 4gb ssc Evga
    I agree, a surprising change. I would think that just was one of those 3-5 % gains. But I think optimizations in "the wild" wouldn't yield big changes. But it is promising results for games that take time to optimize Ryzen in their games.

3. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Good to see a good boost in perf throughout the game and not just in specific areas nicely done I wonder if there's anything left to make more gains or they've done as well as they can for RyZen

4. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Is the "new" chart ("In the above chart you can check out ...") correct - Intel 5960x lost 10 fps with these "optimizations"? Right?

Update: I understood that I do NOT understand the provided chart at all - as the paragraph implies we can check "new" and "old" results, I thought we are looking at respective results on left-right, but then I noticed that the chart has only one view of FPS average and CPU Score... from whatever build they are. Confusing.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017

5. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Just adding my bit of info here, On my 6700K I also saw a boost recently and my numbers were similar to this.
    The boost seems to came from the recent Windows cumulative update.
    Note: NV driver are also updated since so it could be that too.
    So personally I dont think AOTS what specifically optimized recently but this need to be tested to be 100% sure.

6. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Ashes is a great game with stunning graphics (and much else) making huge battles a delight just to watch. Stardock is leading the way here especially in DX12. I'm very glad you are including it in your reviews and happy to see this major improvement in scores because when I do upgrade my system it will be with AMD.

And yes, your second graph seems broken.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Based on a couple "home-made" benchmarks I've seen, DOTA2 has also seen improvements similar to AOTS due to a patch. It seems Ryzen's default behavior tends to be slightly below-par for un-optimized games, but performs roughly right where it should once tweaks are made.

It is comforting to see games are being tweaked for Ryzen. I don't recall there ever being any AAA titles that were optimized for Bulldozer -> Excavator.

8. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Other sources also confirm the code optimization for Ryzen:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3185...zen-can-benefit-from-optimized-game-code.html

9. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    It's possible, but on my end, there is a definitive speed up with latest Windows update. (around CPU 9fps more)

I installed the creator update on my main computer and lost the 9fps (probably the update is not included in the Creator update.
    I bet on release day with 0-day patch I will gain back the 9fps I lost.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't find it totally unreasonable for a patch that improves 1 product can affect others. It's even possible if patching for Ryzen would regress Intel (though that would just be real crappy development skills if that were the case). So sure, it could be this Ryzen-specific optimization or Windows itself, but if it were Windows, wouldn't that improve the frame rate of other things too? Have you tested that?

11. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    This ought to stick a fork in the claims that AMD was full of it :). That's what I hope, anyway :p.

12. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I only tested AOTS. It is hard to test other games the same way as I'm not looking at the global FPS of the game but the CPU fps.

All I know is that with the latest Windows update (969) the CPU FPS of the AOTS benchmark is +- 9 fps higher on my system and that the Creator update doesn't seem to include theses improvements as the result are the same as before the 969 patch from patch Tuesday.
    Since I dont have a Ryzen CPU, I cant confirm or deny the AOTS patch effects.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  13. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Very cool! As the RAM speeds go up and certain game engines and games get added support for Ryzen it is only going to get faster.

Man I can only imagine running that rumored 32 logical core Ryzen OCed to 4ghz, on X399 Quad channel mobo, 4600mhz RAM, M.2 drive and a MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X :). That would be an insane workstation and gaming rig.

Please make it so AMD and RAM manufacturers.

14. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I've also experienced this. Not only on this game but on many others. Finally I'm not the only one. I'm even able to even raise the resolution of some games that I previously couldn't. I'm actually able to play forza horizon 3 in 4k on my 1070 and keep 60fps...it's insane.

15. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080

16. R3MM

R3MM Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    I'm a fan of Guru3d.com, I always find this site way better than others when doing reviews but there is something that I would really like to see, Could you please re-do the Ryzen Review but this time OC the Memory to 3400 or 3600 MHZ?, I've seen a YouTube Video showing this and the performance is phenomenal, Hilbert, I'm pretty sure your review would quickly get shared across the Internet if you do this.

Thanks