When do you think phones will hit a new level?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Serotonin, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Pretty stagnant right now. The hardware isn't doing much advancing, apps are basically crap now. Nothing innovative beside 300 ways to add stupid crap to a selfie...

What will it take to make smartphones exciting again?

2. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    X-ray cameras? :nerd:

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Do you need phones to be exciting again?

Is a grey rectangle with a screen not just good enough now?

Surely not having any need to upgrade every few years is fine.

We've iterated for 20 years to get where it is now.

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'd say week long battery life or an actual device that can serve as a desktop/laptop and phone with the help of a dock. Kinda like the new samsung thing but with enough power to not know that you're really on a phone.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Meh, already done :)

http://store.hp.com/us/en/cv/elite-x3

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    2020, this year the trend is super tall screen with a thin waist :)

Galaxy S8 LG G6 were far from impressive in my opinion, both will have awful battery life compared to the Mate 9, what's the point with all those large displays, new tech, if the same issue repeats every generation???

Lower end phones like Redimi Note 3 pro or Note 4 pro have much better battery life than "flagships", and many flagships DAC is pretty average, I'm not really impressed.

7. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    To me the technology is what keeps things interesting, I don't really care much about speed/screen size etc anymore but innovation is what matters.

Things like Oppos 5x optical zoom (https://www.dpreview.com/news/66285...ptical-zoom-technology-for-smartphone-cameras).

Software is the other factor, OS innovations and AI is interesting to me.

When looking at potential phones I weigh up tech needs and innovations alongside software support (OS release turnaropund and security updates). A good example of this is the Sony XZ Premium, a cracking phone technically but Sonys software support is usually terrible. The new S8 has all the tickboxes aside from stereo speakers but Samsung has a much better track record of updates (both OS and security). And then you have the Pixel which is a decent enough phone still but has the advantage of the latest software and OS at release.

8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Galaxy S7 and S7E unlocked barely receive any updates, it took them too long.

Yes, Samsung improved a lot but far cry from enough, if i wouldn't root my S7E, i wouldn't have Nougat in January, heck only now my country receives it, plus galaxy phones are still too slow, if u use One3T Pixel or Mate, you'll see.

I can't go back to sammy after using Mate 9, that the only phone that ticks v for me in all the boxes that really important, idk so far about updates though.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Honestly, smartphones have already surpassed their user's needs, sadly new ways to gain productivity or fidelity are on the decline. If it wasn't for VR gear I wouldn't see why one needs a top line smartphone.

I personally am only a light user, no heavy gaming (just Hearthstone and Solitaire :D), so for me today's top line phones are already overpowered for my usage patterns. I would greatly appreciate better battery technology to make the phone's battery last longer and not decline in capacity after some time.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Better tech behind battery life, open-source the software, take out NSA backdoors, improve talk/listen audio quality, stop being so intrusive in one's privacy for starters.

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
  12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

True Windows Phones aren't popular, but there's actually nothing wrong with the OS. It's still more efficient that iOS and Android. Its efficiency in some respects was one aspect of the platforms downfall. Becuase of the efficiency the hardware side of things got really skimpy. Excess of super-low end models and not much in the middle range or upper range phones.

The real joke is those idiots who think they need a high end phone, and basically never use the features that phone brings. If you argue it's about the phone speed, considering most people install dozens of apps on their phones but use only maybe four... Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and maybe Tinder (or alternatives), it comes back to a self-gratification device since those four apps are about 'look at me' in all different ways. It's great to couple with the fact that you've spent all that money on a the phone for a better camera, with the end result that you've bought nothing more than an expensive selfie camera. Again, a 'look at me thing', plus the social 'look at me' aspect of just having the phone. All this 'look at me' stuff by the same people who have concerns about privacy!

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Possibly when the following arrive:

1 - Good battery technology.

2 - Reasonable VR experience.

3 - Well designed foldable screens massively increasing the screen area you can carry in your pocket.

4 - Enough power to outright replace desktops for the average user (which they're arguably at) and have the software backing to make it realistically usable for the average derp.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Drop kick it hard enough...

15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Why are you always so bitter toward anything I post?

I hate Samsung. Their Wizard UI is complete garbage. Their battery life is terrible, mainly due to their software. I owned one Samsung, learned the hard way lol.

I'd enjoy deeper A.I features. Right now things are very basic. But I look forward to it maturing and eventually killing my family in our sleep.

Don't laugh. If they make a Surface phone with x86 compatibility, game changer.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    HTC One for Windows 8.1 (eventually 10 beta) is probably my second favorite phone I ever owned. I still say Windows mobile interface is the best mobile interface of any os/phone. If they had the relevant apps society demands, they would have a much better market share.

17. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    A battery that long a full weak !. What is the point of having dozen of cores or a big screen if the phone lives connected to a charger ?.

18. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I only ask battery lasts a day I go home and plug it in at bedtime.

19. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I guess a new battery technology is the next logical step; they are ancient tech and last a pathetic amount of time on smartphones. I also like where the samsung s8 is going with the almost bezeless design, it will be a norm in a few years for sure.

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Agreed except the S7, A9 Pro and C9 Pro, those phones have great battery life, however it's not real great once u realize why it's "Great".

Samsung has DVFS which acts like a throttling kernel, easiest way for me to prove it, is by running CPU intensive game, like Tekken 6 on ppsspp emulator, or even Dark Resurrection.
    It runs POORLY on any galaxy phone, S7E too after couple of minutes it will lag even more... on mine awesome mate 9, there is NO LAG just hitches of the emulator and it runs at 60fps all the time, i'm really amazed by the Mate 9.

Samsung phones are grossly overpriced, they attractive, sports great camera and great screen, touch response is good as well, but far far overpriced, usually paired with awful speaker and just OK DAC, and mediocre battery life