Samsung Premieres the Theater of the Future with New Cinema Screen Technology

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    liquid cooled laser projectors will probably laugh their asses off this

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Forgetting the fact the screen looks too small for the space in the last two pics, the only question for cinemas is whether it's cost effective. That is, is it more expensive than a proper cinema projector (which are bloody expensive as well) and how long does it last.

To be honest, I fail to see how it could be more cost effective. I know I wouldn't pay more for a movie ticket simply because a screen like this was in use. Although things might be different for people living in countries where movie tickets aren't so pricey.

4. crashburn162

crashburn162 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Wc
    Well in my country there isn't a cinema with 4k. And good cinema projectors are up of 8-10k euro not to mention that 25-30% is the bulb when you need to change it. First off the picture will be better that's for sure and secondly I doubt Samsung will put effort into something for professional market if it's not cost effective since it's main market will be cinemas which are all about making money. I hope it's adobted well and other brands start making them so the price goes down.

5. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Maybe these are for private individuals and corporations. I can't imagine something like this being used in a public theater. People throw food and drinks at the screens all the time in movie theaters. Replacing a reflective screen and maintaining a projector has to be way more cost effective than replacing one of these every time someone trashes it.

Unless I'm confused and they're talking about a new projector???

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Lol, what? Are you talking about people or PIGple? Because here, people can behave themselves.
    If movie is sh*t, they have option to leave early and ask for refund. No need to behave like animal.

+this screen is HDR, that is nice bonus. It is not large, just 9 meters, but it is very OK for smaller rooms as shown in images.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I don't go to the Cinema to watch television.

Who-in-the-frack thought this was a good idea? Who the blazes are Samsung hiring these days?

Phones catching fire and exploding. Members of staff being arrested for extortion and torture. Now, they are releasing a big television for cinemas.

Just WHO are they hiring? I want names, people.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It sounds like you live in a really rough neighbourhood. The worst I've ever seen is someone accidentally knocking over their popcorn.

9. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It's more like $30k on up last I knew. I have my doubts that this will go anywhere since they're likely not serviceable and the QC required is going to keep cost up.

10. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Uhhh, you go the Cinema to watch movies. Why does it matter if it's projection or a huge lcd screen?

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    HDR aside, it is a logical step. The question is, Is it in the right direction? Since the advent of consumer television sets, the aspect ratio has mimicked that of movie theaters. That is why movie houses were up in arms thinking that TV sets would cause people to stop going to the movies. They in turn developed wider aspect ratios and unrivaled sound systems to keep the differential quite large. Well, sets updated their aspect ratios and we now have Dolby Atmos and DTSX. We even have digital projectors. Now the sets have actually moved into the movie house. Who saw this coming? Did the movie houses throw in the towel? Aside from price, as long as the resolution, clarity, motion, and color is superior to what can be had for the average home, it will still be a presentation that the majority of people can only enjoy by going to a show.

EDIT: How loud is the coil whine?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  12. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Where do you two guys live? I'm really confused...

First of all... are there any 2K cinemas still out there? Or are you referring to film projectors? Is it because it's a very small country (Vanuatu or something like that) or is it because there's money for internet but not for a single 4K projector in the whole country?

Second of all... where the hell do people through food and drinks at the screens? I... can't... even... just... what the hell?!?!?

13. KazeGG

KazeGG Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I can't imagine the horror of finding bright pixel defects on that screen. The whole thing is garbage when that happens.

Also picture the logistics of transporting such a bulky LED panel... :eyes:

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Uhhh,

It matters. I want the light reflected off the screen to hit my eyes, not the LCD pixels emitting light to hit my eyes.

The difference is huge, it's everything.

infinity:1 contrast ratio

15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Its quite possible they live near or in the same area as them below!?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Not knowing the estimated lifespan, it could be more of a cost effective alternative for the smaller theaters in a multiplex. No need for a projector of any kind. It therefore stands to lower the amount of laborers needed to run the theater. They just need a scaled down version of say Netflix's storage and transmission setup.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Single screen setups cannot afford a mega-massive cinema television 40 foot across anyway, besides...

Cinemas from single screens all the way up to and including mega multiplexes do have have projectionists anyway, it's all handled by a computer system:

https://www.sony.co.uk/pro/article/digital-cinema-tms-product-tour-video

Sony have got the best, although it can be argued that Barco have got better projectors:

https://www.barco.com/en/Products/P...nema-projector-for-premium-large-screens.aspx

With Barco hardware and software, you could literally run an entire multiplex with an iPad...no need for staff, at all. If it breaks down? Yeah, not an issue as you will have "5 9's" level of service and care from whichever manufacturer and supplier of hardware/service so if it goes wrong, they are the ones to blame and pay you for lost income...and they will send someone out to fix it interfrastically.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Cool to know about that software from Sony. Mainly dealt with warranty and royalty calculations; other end of the bizz.

Cannot imagine that projector being any cheaper than that jumbotron. My thinking is more in line with less parts...less things to go wrong. The theaters already have the basic storage infrastructure since movies are no longer shipped but downloaded. It's an alternative. Mind you the trade off is a picture of lessor quality. Monitors are monitors. Projection has always been better to my eyes; so hear you there.

EDIT: from the avsforum.com article:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Went there and saw it was a 1.9:1 square pixel image.

Star Wars is 2.35:1.

Now, this perhaps is not a problem, but if you think about it for a second...this means that any film that is wider than 1.9:1 will have black bars.

This is not good - although it will get DCI approval I'm sure, it is still not the same as a projector projecting its image onto an ultra-wide screen using lens shift & zoom.

This is Samsung using their excellent Digital Signage technology in cinemas, and trying to add more products to sell to cinema owners...nothing more. I find it hard to knock the strat, but they got weak offense.

I'm sure it will work just fine for Cartoons - but if I walk into a cinema and pay $15 + another 5-10 for dogs n drinks, only to find a big frackin' television with black bars for Star Wars...

I'm walking out and getting my money back.

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    You and me both.