Review: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero X370 motherboard

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    After testing all Ryzen 7 processors, it is time to zoom into the motherboards. This reviews details the €289 ASUS Crosshair VI Hero. The X370 motherboard is the high-end alternative in the R...

Review: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero X370 motherboard

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nice review, nice to see AMD delivering a strong competitive CPU as well. :)
    (And nice to see Asus still doing some pretty good motherboards.)

EDIT: Wonder if those newly revealed 12-cores will be the R9 series then, and whatever motherboard model that will use, well I guess we'll see. :D

In any case it's good to see some actual competition again, will be interesting to see what Intel will release next and what the next Ryzen CPU's will be.
    (Heh guess this is a ever ongoing process, have to upgrade eventually though, ha ha.)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Awesome review, seems like a nice board thanks.

Man it be awesome if you could review the MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON mobo, I really love to know if you can roll with to M.2s in RAID1 with a GPU and a Sound card in your PCI E slots and not loose any performance in your M.2s. Plus also have your regular SATA slots all taken up with SSDs.

4. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    For anyone getting this mobo, I would recommend flash new Bios as first thing to do if it come with lower version then 0902.
    I think mine came with 0703 or so and bellow 0902 there is risk to fry mobo IC.

Other then that its very nice mobo with a ton of USBs. I even bought M.2 wifi/BT card, just waiting for pigtail cable to test it.

5. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    I believe it was stated in some review that you can't raid M.2 on those mobos.
    Even if it was possible you would degrade performance as 2nd M.2 runs on much lower speed.

6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  7. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Thank you HH! :)

8. lord_zed

lord_zed Active Member

GPU:
    980ti MOD 1500/8000 LC

Does it pass Intel burn test on Maximum ?? And Realbench 8gb+ for few hours tho ??

Thats how my ryzen build looks. Ofc CrossHair VI

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  9. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    This board looks and works awesome.

However, I'm really waiting for the B350 board reviews. Not in the market for high end unfortunately, Can't wait to see what AMD will bring in the value department, they were always giving more than Intel in that way.

For me, I plan to get a 6/12 R5 in a B350 board, really can't wait to see what we can expect from that combination.
    There are some nice B350 boards from Gigabyte.

10. kviksand81

kviksand81 Member

GPU:
    ASUS VEGA 56 STRIX
    Great review, great mobo.

Hilbert, I hope you get your hands on a ASRock Taichi X370 so we can see how it stacks up against the Crosshair VI!

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review Hilbert , well done. Indeed a very nice board if you want to squeeze every last Mhz out of your Ryzen 7 cpu. The bios on the Asus CH 6 Hero is full to the brim with tweaking options for those that like to overclock their cpus from the Bios.

Thank you for the in depth review on this motherboard Hilbert , absolutely a great read.

Regards: Angelo

12. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Thanks for the review, It looks like a great board.

About RAM Speed support: Ryzen really likes speedy RAM. Is it possible that this platform (current R7 + X370 boards) could get support for DDR4 @ 4000+MHz with BIOS updates?

13. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    It's a really nicely designed board, but they're sold out everywhere constantly! I love the amount of USB ports this thing offers on the back I/O. While kinda overpriced, it's at least cheaper than the MSI Titanium- which while great, is even worse on the wallet.

But it honestly seems to be luck of the draw with ASUS on quality control lately. They still make great boards, but their manufacturing quality seems to have lost a step based on all the reports of DOA's and similar instances from reviews and forums across the interwebz. The ASUS X370 Prime has had an especially abysmal showing!

14. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Thanks for the review Hilbert.

15. rms

rms Guest

GPU:
    Radeon Vega 64 LC
    Hi, I just wanted to log in and say that, I've gone through each page of this review, and it is FREAKING AWESOME. Thank you! :banana:

I've finally received all the parts for my Hero+1800X+3200DDR4+NH-D15, and will be building it tomorrow. This review set my mind at ease and has some good bios tips that I'll find very useful.

rms