Blizzard Announces StarCraft Remastered

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Blizzard announced that its hit real time strategy game StarCraft be getting remastered. It will be called, well, StarCraft Remastered no less and is due out this summer for PC. ...

Blizzard Announces StarCraft Remastered

2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    While I absolutely LOVE the original Starcraft (my favorite RTS of all time), I have the feeling this time Blizzard is just trying to charge us another 100$ (or how much? 60?) for nothing.

It would be awesome if they upgraded to Starcraft 2 engine, but at the moment it just looks like a rather poorly scaled graphics update.

3. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    The original game will be free to play, if you want the HD graphics you'll have to pay extra for that.. so if you want to play with the original 800x600 resolutions they're there but if you want 4K support and all that jazz then you pay for the add on.

But both original and HD version will have the online play support.

4. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    I 1000% agree with this ^^^^, personally it makes no sense what so ever :(

I rather just play Star Craft 2 to tell you the truth, I mean with the new engine and their resources why on earth would you not use it to make the remake I think its insane.

Man if they do the same thing to Diablo 2 remake I am going to rage out and be totally disappointed.

If you want to stay with the 2D sprites then you better higher high end artist and re do them properly in HD. Not what they have currently done in this example its really the same sprites with a filter if slightly changed I can barley tell the diff.

All well not much you can do about it now.

5. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    I'd like that, unfortunately I can only play starcraft @640x480 :pipe:

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Unlocked FPS would be nice but it also looks like the animations are left untouched. It wouldn't hurt if they were a bit smoother?

7. awergh

awergh New Member

GPU:
    HD6870
    I'm going to have to disagree with you because this is the only way you could provide a remastered version of the game. SCBW is a game that has a huge history for its multiplayer. Attempting to port the game to SC2 would break the game (and what is considered as almost perfect balance) as there is no way all the nuances and "bugs" could be replicated in a totally different engine.

If you want SCBW units in SC2 there are already custom maps for that but if you want a true SCBW experience it must be the original engine.

8. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Can't satisfy everyone. If they went with SC2 engine for the remake, people would be angry about that as well. I think they made correct decision and I think it looks pretty damn good after checking comparison screenshots. You are talking absolute nonsense about sprites though, they are remade from the ground up. It's not just filter as you claim. Check comparisons and you'll see what I mean, there are some slight variations in every sprite, but not enough to change the look of the game. You can't get that detail and look from using upscale filters.

9. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    It's a smart move by Blizzard. If it's not prohibitively expensive (AAA title range) than I will get it.

10. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500

11. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

I would just love a Warcraft III remake, i hear someone was working on one using the SC2 engine but last i saw of it only the first ORC mission had been done.... Though maybe a Warcraft IV would be nicer (but they stopped caring about that due to wow success :( )

12. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    free stuffs pls.

It's nice to get a compatible windows 10 version for the basic one at least, for free.

Always felt SC2 had much better gameplay though.

13. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    I replayed WC3 recently, absolutely fantastic game and still very playable. I doubt there'll be a 4th for years sadly :(

14. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It has honestly held up so well considering it came out in 2002, lord knows how much time i spent on battlenet back then :D best valued game... one day i can hope for a Warcraft IV

15. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Eh, I'm pretty sure I can play the original on win 10 so why would I spend money on the same thing ? As many said I'd much more liked the warcraft 4 (remake is nonsense, it still looks great since they went with cartoonish style), but unfortunately, it probably woun't happen untill blizz is done with WoW.

As for SC, I would also much more appreciate SC3, but the way SC2 ended, I can't really see how they'll continue. So this remaster is probably the only quick money grab they can get out of their strategies.

16. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    This is great, i love the original starcraft

17. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Look at this, another embarrassing thread. Blizzard releases a compatibility patch for an old game and makes it completely free? Everyone bitches they're making you pay for the upgraded graphics.

Just don't buy it? Just play the free game that's exactly the same thing without higher resolutions. There, solved.

18. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    This will be awesome, as long as they don't mess with any of the gameplay aspects and types and leave those exactly the same. Setting up huge cooperative skirmish battles with a friend or two was a blast.

I would also love to see updates of the original Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Nice that they are doing this. The next games on the list would be Diablo 1 & 2.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I tried giving Mass Recall a shot but I got stuck around half way through the Terran campaign, where it couldn't load properly. Mass Recall was pretty cool overall, though one little nitpick I have about it is the inconsistent mix of old and new, which made it feel kind of broken. I'd rather have had the following options to toggle:
    1. Stylize with old graphics wherever possible
    2. Use old audio as much as possible, maybe mixed in with new audio
    3. Only offer original units (so for example, units like Banshees wouldn't be available, but Scourges would be). Toggling this off would not prevent the usage of older units, but, some newer ones might have to be replaced by older ones due to scripts in the campaign.
    4. Stay true to unit specs, abilities, and upgrades (so Ultralisks would likely be weaker, High Templars don't have a normal attack, Bunkers can only fit 4 people, etc).

These options I think would satisfy everyone. Some people want something as close to the original game as possible, while others (like myself) are interested in seeing what the campaign would be like if it were made with modern technology, and then there are those who are interested how different the campaign would be using units that were never available.

Personally, I would like to try the game with options 1, 2, and 4 turned off, but 3 turned on.

I miss a lot of the original units. I feel like Zerg units got tampered with the most, while Protoss as a whole lost their purpose - Protoss used to be more about powerful high-value units that you want to preserve, while now they're a lot more expendable. This is probably due to tournaments, where you're expected to make huge sacrifices.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017