Gillette Shaving Blades Suck

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by TekkMarine, Mar 25, 2017.

1. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Need some advise....

Upgraded to pro fusion blades after noticing the quality on standard fusion blades have gone downhill. Initial day 1 performance is great, day 2 not so bad but after that they start missing bits and give you razor burn. The overall shave isn't as good as it was on first use.

Followed the manufacturers instructions, keep upright post shave and use luke warm water. Started applying Nivia sensitive shaving gel but the damn strips on the blade wear out so quickly it's like shaving with a rusty knife. Tempted to give another manufacture a try, any suggestions?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I use standard Fusion blades, they last weeks before I notice shaving is starting to hurt

I don't have massively thick facial hair though and only need to shave about every two days

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I use disposable shaving Bic 3 standard 3 blades with AloeVera strip.Best price/quality per shave.
    I don't have massive amounts of facial hair, but i have a very stubborn short hair and sometimes i have to press a lot to shave it off, and if the blades are old, i end up with a rash.
    I tried almost everything, ended up with BIC and natural organic aloe vera emulsion as aftershave.Gets the job done, no rash and it costs pennies.
    I started with Gilette, switched to Wilkinson's and after a few cold objective opinions and ran some numbers of how much a shave costs me, i ended up with BIC.
    No more money to brands that are over engineering a simple shave.
    My 2 cents.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I switched to a Phillips Norelco electric unit a year ago. No ragret. The only issue is if I let my beard get super thick and go to town on it, then I get a little bit of rashing.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Every shaving related brand is pulling your leg.

[​IMG]

Buy one of these (aka a safety razor), or just go with cheap one use BIC style razors. The multiple blade thing does more damage than good. Trust me, if you shave properly, the above is the best option shy of going to a barber

I'm an extremely hairy man that has been shaving almost two decades now. The more simple the better.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't shave

7. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I use a Merkur razor with Gillette astra blades.

8. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I use Wilkinson Sword Quattro Titanium, found those to be the best for my skin (have sensitive skin) but if I've let my facial hair grow too long, that razor isn't any good as the hairs get trapped in the blades, so I then use a Gillette Mach3.

The razor is only half the work though, good hygiene practices are probably the most important aspects. and when it comes to preparing to shave, wash face, rinse with warm water, apply shaving gel/foam thoroughly, shave, rinse, wash again and then rinse with cold water followed by applying any lotions or aftershaves.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I've been using Gillette for years and their quality is ass, I've been meaning to switch for a long time now. They're only good for ONE shave for me. After they dry off, no matter how I try to dry them, they turn to crap and scratch the hell out of my face if I attempt to use it on day 2.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This. I got exactly this safety razor after calculating how much I spend on changing razors for Gillette.
    Learn how to properly use safety razor, it will safe you money.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    This is the best option for comfort and cost considerations. The ONLY reason I don't do this is because I'm lazy. Plug in electrics are quick and easy.

12. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    May as well go back to the good old fashioned cut throat, will give the disposable BIC's a try.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You can pick up packs of the disposable BIC razors in Poundland if you have any local. I would recommend giving the safety razor a try though, they're not as bad as people think and once you get used you'll get a better shave compared to the over complicated nonsense sold by the likes of Gillette. The packs of blades are dirt cheap also.

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The gels and creams are the bigger rip-offs. Just need a good glycerin based soap. Then those strips do not matter one bit. Skin will love you for it too.

15. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I shave 1-2x per year. An electric razor works nicely to trim the edges along my neck or cheekbones from time to time. As long as the lady in your life doesn't mind a full beard it's by far the best way to go. ;)

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    My PC doesn't mind my beard either :nerd:

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's not that the blades go blunt, it's that the fine buildup of skin etc prevents the blade from seemingly being so sharp. To prove this point, next time the blades go blunt use an old toothbrush a bit of toothpaste, give it a bit of a scrub, rinse well, and I can basically guarantee it will shave almost as well as it did new :). There's actually tools you can get which have a similar end result.

The same goes for electric shavers. For rotary shavers you can take out the blades and give them a bit of a scrub with a toothbrush and toothpaste, guaranteed to work better :).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    ^ Hmm... Interesting idea.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    ? Should this be in general hardware? I guess technically it is hardware...

I joined $1 shave club from Harry's. Love them.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    How do I properly shave my Balzac?