Microsoft hit hard for Enabling Windows 10 built-in keylogger feature

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Erm...hasn't this been there for a couple of updates? I seem to remember disabling it and it's still disabled. On the other hand, they keep changing little tid bits like this, and they are hard to keep track of. :bang:

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I am fairly sure I disabled it, and when I checked this morning it was enabled. Likely that got enabled again after an update.

4. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    I've always been upset with them because of Win Update - automatic restarts and aggressive behavior.
    Worse is the fact that: yes, some updates seem to reset settings and policies set in the past.
    Automatic restarts and these "security" settings included - mine were all enabled - disabled on install.

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    I do not seem to have that option in privacy settings, I am on the 15063 RS2 release

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'm not personally concerned about keylogging but as mentioned, the way windows takes over your settings is my biggest gripe with Windows 10. Disable something, it will get re-enabled by windows. Want to roll back a driver? Too bad, windows is going to update it. There needs to be some kind of power user setting so people who want to tweak can do so without all these windows roadblocks for the PC illiterate. That way, fun Microsoft easter eggs like the "we had the best intentions" keylogger can just be turned off for good.

7. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    At my screen it's grayed out. I found this quote: "This is based on that in the privacy settings under "Settings" -> "Privacy" -> "Feedback & diagnostics" -> "Diagnostics and usage data" it is set to "Basic". Change it to "Enhanced" or higher, the message disappears." here. Now the red message is gone but still I've got the option disabled by default.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  8. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    M$ does re-enable these switches after every major update. This is why i i disabled mine a group level
    [​IMG]

Since doing this M$ has not been abled to re enable anything i disable. Notice mine is greyed out.

9. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    You're data is not up to par or somebody was upset by the results?

10. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Check my comment's edit above yours.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
  12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Mine is grayed out as well in the off position. I am using SpyBot Anti beacon to disable stuff such as Cortana.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As Insider MS is automatically getting inking/typing data.
    But Speech/inking/typing service is disabled, so I do not know state it is actually in.

And it is quite M$ way to reset 1/2 of settings every time they update build. Only recently task manager finally managed to remember that I like my window to display details even after new build is installed.
    But even between restarts it forgets that I wan to see "Command Line" parameters in "Details" tab.

14. urbancamper

urbancamper Member

GPU:
    RX 5700xt / 8gb
    It is off and grayed out for me also.

15. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Mine is disabled and grayed out, I did not use special software like anti beacon. Running pretty much everything default except disabled some privacy related settings on install and uninstalled most of the preinstalled store apps.

16. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Dont worry,its Micro$oft.

[​IMG]

17. SVrider

SVrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
    Why am I not surprised? Anyway I turned that all off long ago and it was still off when I checked just now.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Looks like they've moved it here

[​IMG]

19. Guru3dreader

Guru3dreader Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    At the same time I am reading that the created a version for the Chinese government that doesn't send telemetry and other data to Microsoft.

So, the US and the rest of the FREE world get a version where the user has limited control over his own data, and China, you know communism and stuff, get a version where private user data are protected.

Funny, isn't it?

20. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Thanks your right it is there but is set to on and greyed, guess i might clean install this weekend anyway, this install has gone through many upgrades now lol