Quick test: Futuremark 3DMark v2.3.3663 Vulkan API Overhead Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Thanks for this Hilbert!

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    For some reason, without touching anything, it says cancelled by user after DX11 ST runs.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I guess AMD forgot to send the technology consultation payment to Futuremark.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for the tests man. Any chance to put dots or commas to indicate thousands/millions etc? It's a bit hard to read.

6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No. It's more like GCN is less efficient, although it's being corrected more or less. The only "modern" AMD card on this chart is the 480 and it's faster than its equivalent (the 1060), in modern APIs. Under DX11 you can see that NVIDIA is still almost +80% more draw call efficient, but AMD was starting from something like 600k draw calls and we're currently hovering at around 1.3 million. Still a long way to go, and I'm not sure that it can be done.

A friend with an untouched 6700k and 3200 RAM is telling me he's getting 2.2 million draw calls for his 280x (he had to get a CPU and he's still waiting to check Vega or drops to the 1080Ti price).

EDIT: NVIDIA's Vulkan performance is impressive, their DX12 one not as much. Since both APIs are quite similar, it's probably an indication of driver states.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    After a certain point I doubt the numbers even matter. Most games are operating under the draw call limits of DX11 - there is no way any are even close to the limits of 12/Vulkan or will be in the foreseeable future.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How does this prove they are lying? ... because AMD is slightly lower?

That's not even to mention that both Sniper 4/GoW4 both showed similar results on Nvidia hardware to TimeSpy. No one ever writes articles about that though - guess it isn't news worthy that TimeSpy was actually accurate.

Or to mention that the same test shows AMD's DX12 performance higher than Nvidia's equivalent. Why would they do that if they are so purposely anti-AMD?

Should also point out that there are now two people in this thread suggesting that there is foul play against AMD - which is becoming increasingly common. It's like impossible that AMD just has a few kinks it needs to work out - must be foul play. Literally everyone in the entire world is colluding against AMD - Microsoft, 3DMark, Intel, everyone. There simply cannot be any other explanation, right?

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If there was anything dodgy going on AMD would make it public knowledge, they are not backward about that sort of thing.
    Reminds me of Doom and how id were accused of being paid by Nvidia, now it's an example game lol.

The always cheated, never defeated attitude is getting silly.

Looking forward to testing this, but abit disappointed as I thought they were also patching Timespy, as while the drawcall tests are impressive, it's not entirely relevant for games.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yep. With Vulkan and DX12 draw calls shouldn't be thing that causes bottleneck.

11. Ansau

Ansau Guest

GPU:
    12GB DDR3 2400MHz
    These results are the amount of draw calls PER SECOND, not the maximum amount of draw calls handled.
    A higher number can be interpretated to an improved frametime, as less time is required for a fixed amount of draw calls to be addressed.

Btw, there's something wrong with DX11 results for all AMD gpus, they should be around 1.8-2.3M for both DX11 ST and MT.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Vulkan isn't Mantle rebranded. It's heavily based on Mantle, but it's not identical.

You posted a comment saying that 3DMark has favored Nvidia hardware purposely. That isn't true, period. In fact the article you posted (which got removed) concludes that it doesn't favor Nvidia so I'm not even sure why you posted it. Further proof is that there are now multiple games, one Nvidia sponsored - fine.. and Sniper 4, which isn't, that both run faster on DX12 vs 11 with Async Compute enabled - which matches the TimeSpy results.

And obviously there is something going on.. my issue is that you immediately make the assumption that it's foul play on 3DMark's part. It couldn't possibly be a bug in AMD's driver, right? It couldn't possibly be a bug in 3DMarks software? It couldn't possibly be because AMD's Vulkan implementation is slightly worse? It couldn't be because Nvidia's implementation is better? There are like 500,000,000 reasons for these results and you automatically assume it's foul play.

If it was a one off case, I wouldn't care.. but every time AMD is slightly behind in something it's the immediate assumption by multiple users in this forum. It's getting really tiresome.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Just because you don't like the results doesn't make it not true either.

Maybe AMD just prioritise DX12 when it comes to drivers, it's not like their DX12 results are bad.
    The 480 is around 20% faster than the 1060, or perhaps that's just money well spent by AMD..

14. edilsonj

edilsonj Active Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3060 Ti
    Is in 3D Mark's Vulkan better on GTX 1060 than RX 480?

Well... can Futuremark fix Vulkan games on my GTX 1060 to make this real?

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Well thanks 3DMark for breaking your bench and figuring out how to introduce a hardware fault... The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1

The DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x000000D1. This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.

Futuremark has nothing to do with fixing how an API works in games.

Well, finally got it to run...who knows?

DirectX 11 single-thread
    2 377 030 Draw calls per second

DirectX 11 multi-thread
    2 454 589 Draw calls per second

DirectX 12
    33 556 899 Draw calls per second

Vulkan
    20 729 572 Draw calls per second

16. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    AMD would need a lot higher clocks to match pascal performance in raw drawcall performance. Ofc this is only about how many drawcalls card can handle at max. I don't think we have games running over 10M for a long time.

What's really interesting is that Ryzen can pretty much keep up on DX11 ST. Which is all about single thread performance.

17. Guru3dreader

Guru3dreader Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Time Spy is probably the only software on the planet where Nvidia cards seems to gain from async and now the Vulkan API test is probably the only software on the planet where Nvidia cards gain more than AMD cards. Pure coincidence.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Guessing thats what happens when software is developed properly for the PC.

Nvidia has always done well with draw call tests, i remember Nvidia DX11 competing and i think even beating AMD in Mantle when running Star Swarm.

19. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Might i ask as to why an intel 5960 was benched against a Ryzen 1700? these are chips in completely different price brackets.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Both octocores. It was an obvious IPC comparison.