Updated Crimson driver, now broken RX480?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by FNK, Mar 23, 2017.

1. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    I need precious help from my fellow Gurus,

While I was watching Netflix on my pc, I started to install a driver update, from 17.3.1 to 17.3.2, while mid-installation, the screen froze. No response from the system even after 2-3 minutes.

Here is what I did afterward;
    1. I then hit the reset button, but Windows will not boot past the loading rings.
    2. I can boot to Safemode, but could not uninstall.
    3. Could not use system restore.
    4. Fresh install, but will not boot past the rings...
    5. Removed RX480, using onboard vga, Windows boot fine.
    6. Did all the updates possible, computer is running great, put back RX480 in, wont boot past the rings, but will boot fine in safe mode.

What am I missing?

*card is XFX GTR 480 XXX

2. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    I'm assuming that you've tried the old "known working" drivers on the fresh Windows install?
    --If you have, then sadly it looks like you've already ruled out software. I'm leaning on that your card died mid installation potentially by coincidence. (which in itself sounds rather weird, but also not unheard of)

Failing cards tend to work in 2D and not in 3D (per desktop composition). Or in otherwords, work fine under stock VESA / VGA drivers until the first real boot of the OS post installation.

** Another possibility is that the power connectors to the videocard are loose, or have otherwise failed, or the rail on the supply that they're connected to has failed. If you have some molex to 6/8 pin adapters, give those a try.

--Alot of people suggest popping the CMOS battery in situations like this (with the power pulled). It's certainly worth a shot, yet I'm doubtful that'll do anything in all honesty. (never has for me)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Alright thanks,

I guess I will fill an RMA form then.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

'While I was watching Netflix on my pc, I started to install a driver update', when updating drivers, you shouldn't be doing anything else on your computer.

By fresh install, do you mean a complete proper install from the installation media, or a refresh of Windows in Windows 10? There's a big difference.

5. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    I did a complete restart using latest downloaded windows iso, (using Microsoft media creation tool), on a USB key.

6. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Are you by chance using a custom bios? In that you need to run ATI Pixel Patcher.

Just a thought.

7. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Are you by chance using a custom bios? In that you need to run ATI Pixel Patcher.

Just a thought.

I had something similar with one of the recent Win 10 Insider builds, to get past the spinning ring freezing was a chore but turned out to be a Win 10 Driver and custom bios issue.

I had to use my onboard iGPU to get into safe mode to uninstall it all.

8. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Your card has a bios switch. Try flipping it to other bios and see if it boots. It's hard to see, but it's on the top of the card, near the middle, by the glowing XFX LED.

EDIT:

I was looking at some pics, and the switch is located near the power plug.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  9. zixss

zixss Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RX480 8GB
    If you get the Windows blue loading screen and once the OS loads, you got a black screen, this might be related to your VGA BIOS. Have you made any changes over the BIOS or running a custom BIOS ?
    I got the same issues with my RX480 when used a custom bios and the VGA driver failed to installed completely, missing the HDMI drivers but i was able to change the Windows resolution.
    The only fix for this is to run the Ati Pixel Patcher - if it does not solve your issue, then you might need to RMA the card.

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It's simple... you were using the hardware acceleration while watching Netflix, so the card's drivers were in use when you started the driver upgrade, thus crashing your system. Your problem is that you have a partial install over your existing driver set.

Boot to safe mode (with networking if you do not have a copy of DDU on it already so you can download it) and run DDU to wipe the drivers. Then reboot, and Windows should start up, with generic video drivers. Then install your desired AMD driver package.

11. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    As much as I admire your optimism Chastity, he did said he did a fresh reinstall of Windows and got the same symptoms. Sounds to me that his card has suddenly developed some sort of a hardware issue, and the timing of the driver installation is just coincidental.

12. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Well the "second Bios switch" did nothing.
    I also tried to disable "secure boot", seemed to have helped in some cases, but nothing.

I've filled an RMA with XFX, hope it goes well.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    My video card died the other day "XFX R9 270 DD" after installing the 17.3.3 drivers.... So.. yeah..

The screen is all garbled with white horizontal lines across the screen when connected via dvi, no screen when connected though vga or hdmi... trying to install older driver causes the screen to shut off.

I should have listened to eclap about buying XFX... at least I think it was eclap that warned me against them.. sigh..

-_-

14. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Ah interesting!

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I sent AMD an email regarding my video card dying when installing the new driver and got this response xD

[​IMG]

I won't be buying XFX ever again...

---

@FNK

I am interested in the response time you get with XFX, when I first got my card at the beginning of 2014 I requested support due to this video card having a "Media Controller" component showing up in Device Manager that did not actually exist, it was not a real component of the video card, seems it was something that was fixed in a later revision of this model.

It took me about 2 months to get a response at which time I had just disabled the ghost component and was happily playing Battlefield 4.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017

16. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Their response is pretty spot on TBH.

A driver installation can't kill your card. Your card had it coming. But just to be sure, try out your card on another system.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Pretty much.

And its not that "there are customers across the globe who are using AMD without any such issues" <-- that's an understatement and poor choice of words imho.
    Its that he pretty much alone with this highly unlikely... "issue"(LOL :().

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Almost forgot.. my 290 is XFX too, and it has been impeccable so far hw wise.
    So much that I couldn't justify a RED upgrade so far

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    A driver install can kill a video card, as I have now found out first hand and have seen reported in the past, although it is very rare for this to happen.

Ohh I've tested it a lot, I was quite happy with it and wasn't planning to buy a new video card any time soon.. so yeah.. very disappointed by this.

20. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Like I said, your card had it coming. Driver installation only made the inevitable obvious.

I started tinkering with PCs since I was 12 years old back in 2000. Now it's 2017, and to this date, I have probably assembled and have worked with about hundreds of different configurations of PCs with hundreds of different video cards. I have yet to encounter a device driver installation that has killed off a fully working hardware, regardless whether it's a GPU or a Sound Card.

The only times I have seen a driver installation create issues for hardware is when it was already faulty, a baked Graphics card for example.