Help running 2 cards.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Aldrongorph, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Aldrongorph

Aldrongorph Guest

GPU:
    R9 290x 4gb
    So I just had this working the other night, but I needed to do a format and now I am on a fresh install of windows 7.

I have an r9-290x and an HD5830. I was using the r9 for my main monitor, and using the hd5830 for my side monitors just for multitasking...
    I've tried manually installing the drivers, tried the DDU method, you name it. No matter what I do, i either blue screen and stuck in boot loop for 0x3b, or end up with the driver for the HD5830 on both cards.

Is there a way I can make the R9 driver (latest) work with my HD5830?

This has been quite frustrating. :3eyes:

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Why not just plug all your monitors into the 1st card (R9 290x) ? If I may ask what is the 2nd card for? You cant use crossfire unless they video cards are the same model + the 290x is like 10 times faster then the 5830, All you are doing is burning electric for no reason lol/.

3. Aldrongorph

Aldrongorph Guest

GPU:
    R9 290x 4gb
    The reason I have the h830 is so I can plug the 2 monitors in it and use the R9 for my main monitor. The card wont have such high of a load running just one monitor with a game, compared to 3 altogether. I dont intend to crossfire. You know?

4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    if he plugs the more than 1 card in the 290x it will run at full mem clocks all the time, I think this is what the OP is referring to

@OP) apart from trying older drivers I doubt there is much you can do as support for 58xx series is now ended

5. Aldrongorph

Aldrongorph Guest

GPU:
    R9 290x 4gb
    More than 1 monitor*, yeah. I have 3 and am trying to use a dedicated card(290x) for my one monitor being used for the game so it will run more efficiently.

Yeah that's what I thought as well, but at one point a few days ago I had the 290x installed and was using just that for months. I then added the 5830 and installed the driver manually (I believe it was 15.x or 14.x) through device manager and it didn't automatically update the good card's drivers.
    I just noticed a thread on here that someone modified a driver that let him have a larger list of supported cards. I was wondering if that is at all possible with the new Relive driver.

6. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Yeah early no coffee typo, I do it all the time lol, any way it is possible to mod cards id's into drivers install so it is recognised but I am unsure on the relive drivers

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Gotcha, I think you will need to use Legacy drivers for the 5000 seires not sure, My last Radeon was 6000 series lol. Good luck with this hope you find a fix.

8. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I use a similar set up but and I have found installing drivers can be wonky at times. RX 480 and HD 7770 for the same reason to drive my other monitors.

Anyhow sometimes would get black or blue screens and sometimes boot loop.

WHat I found that works for me, is a bit of pain but I just deal with it. Is to physically remove the HD 7770, install the drivers for the RX 480 and then put the HD 7770 back in. Don't know why but just unplugging the power to the HD 7770 is not enough.

9. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Why don't you connect the two other monitors to your CPU? That's what I do for my second monitor so not to constantly run full memory speed.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Having 2 monitors on the HD5830 means that that card will be running higher clocks than idle all the time, drawing power, whether you're gaming on the 290X or not.

If you have the 3 monitors on the 290X, however, it will be running higher clocks than idle, drawing power, but during gaming, it will be drawing around the same power and giving roughly the same gaming performance, if not identical.

So, while not gaming, you'd be drawing the same or more power when using the HD5830 for 2 monitors. While gaming, you'll definitely be drawing more power. That's in addition to having your PCI-E lanes split (not that it will have any real effect) and, more importantly, more heat trapped in your chassis due to obstruction and heat release by the 5830.

The 5830 has performance slightly behind the GTX470. The 290X is more than 3 times faster. You're not going to be robbing the 290X of anything by not using the 5830.

Furthermore, the 5830 is EoL, so I'm not sure newer drivers would play well with it.