How to Enable Dolby Vision on Mass Effect Andromeda

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by MegaFalloutFan, Mar 21, 2017.

1. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    How to Enable Dolby Vision on Mass Effect Andromeda?

Hi,
    So I have the latest patched ME:A (Origin Trial), GTX1080 with latest driver 378.92 that supposed to add Dolby Vision support and LG OLED C6p as my monitor.
    When I enable auto detect, the game enables HDR10. There is no manual settings, only auto or off.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. jander13

jander13 Guest

GPU:
    Hey,

I also have the same issue but after doing some research i realized no one seems to be able to run it Dolby Vision and all questions on the subject in the EA tech support seem to be ignored.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    IIRC Dolby vision is only available on consoles for the time being. Only HDR10 on PC. Maybe the full launch will have it available.

4. Taggen86

Taggen86 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    This is not correct. Consoles do not support dolby vision atm, only pc. Just google and you will see

i think we need a patch for Mass effect that adds a hdr toggle between the two formats before it will work on the game. The pc supports it with the new ncidia driver while the game does not.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

5. jander13

jander13 Guest

GPU:
    Dolby Vision is a pc exclusive for MEA as far as i know, HDR 10 is the only option for consoles.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Oh .. woops ... mixed up then.

7. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I tried everything, I loaded the game with all possible 10/12bit and chroma subsumpling configurations.
    I dont need to for HDR10, it turns on automatically even from RGB/8bit mode.

Can you share the link to EA forums where people asked about DV? I would like to keep up

8. jander13

jander13 Guest

GPU:
    answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/dolby-vision/m-p/5938355#M1810

this is one thread where i asked, there was another one somewhere but it had no replies.

9. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    So did you managed to activate it by chnaging resolutions?

10. jander13

jander13 Guest

GPU:
    no, that works when you are getting no hdr at all and you end up getting hdr 10 as a result.

11. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Is there a way to open a ticket on EA? Do you know any bioware employees on twitter?

12. jander13

jander13 Guest

GPU:
    no idea to be honest, i am sure they are aware of the issue but thing is they are probably dealing with things that are higher priority since PC dolby vision gaming at this point is super minority.

will just have to wait for a fix.

13. Taggen86

Taggen86 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    I think we need to wait for a patch that enable dolby vision support and that include a hdr toggle between hdr10 and dolby vision

14. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
  15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Can Dolby Vision technically be enabled on any monitor that has the necessary colour gamut + brightness / contrast? My monitor can hit just over 1000 nits and covers pretty much every colour standard. I'm just afraid when games finally introduce HDR support it'll require official certification or something equally BS to force users into buying their branded monitors.

16. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Its not that simple, your monitor has to specifically support HDR and/or Dolby Vision, its spec is irrelevant, if it doesn't say that it has HDR support than it doesn't.

For HDR you need a way to control everything, just having 10Bit panel and 1000Nits is not enough.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It does seem that simple since my monitor covers every requirement that Dolby Vision has, all of them. In fact the colour space covers far beyond Dolby's requirement IIRC. Aside from max brightness, black level/contrast, colour space, what's left?

If it doesn't work without superficial certification then that'd be BS. I know it can work as I've tried just about every form of HDR content in MPC HC and it all worked. So if games don't allow it, I know it's artificially locked, and there'd probably be a work-around.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  18. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Sadly It didnt worked, you think it did but it didn't.

If your monitor has no specific HDR mode, than you dont see actual HDR.
    For starters there is minimum spec of what can be certified as HDR, second HDR has to be certified and third TVs and monitors with HDR have HDR mode, its a way to accept the new info and control all the signals, you cant display HDR signal through SDR mode.

– HDMI 2.0a or DisplayPort 1.4
    – 10-bit per channel colour
    – Ability to display very nearly all of the Rec. 2020 or DCI P3 colour spaces
    – At least 1000cd/m2 brightness combined with black levels below 0.05cd/m2

Read the below articles youll understand.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/22/hdr-gaming-and-the-pc-its-complicated/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdr-tv-high-dynamic-television-explained

http://www.pcgamer.com/what-hdr-means-for-pc-gaming/

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    On my tv on ps4 pro. i have this yet i have no idea about difference. what should i see anyway?

20. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    You dont have Dolby Vision, its not supported by PS4PRo.
    on PS4PRo you have HDR, to see HDR effect you need 4K TV that has HDR license and not the cheap ones, those even if they have HDR logo only ACCEPT HDR signal but cant properly display it.
    You need at least Samsung 7000 series but better yet Samsung 8000 series or LG OLED.

Dolby Vision is additional format to HDR, its superior to HDR but not all TVs support it.