Remember when phones actually vibrated?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Extraordinary, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Is it just Samsung, or have other people noticed that having smartphones set to vibrate now only has any affect if they're sitting on something solid like a desk or table?

I remember dumb call/text only mobile phones would give me a fright when they vibrated it was so brutal, now you can't feel anything at all if they're in your pocket

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It might just be a Samsung and cheap Chinese manufacturer thing, but all the (edit) smart phones I've had have had pathetic vibration.

Aside from temporary phones I've went from (starting from smart phones) a Galaxy Nexus to a Galaxy S5 to my current Axon 7 and all of them have had more or less the same meh vibration which has been more than adequate for my needs since I don't need to feel it in my pocket (and wouldn't anyway since it's usually a jacket pocket).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Had a silver Nokia 5110 back in late '90, ditched the stock NiMH battery (it was 800, 850 or 900mAh, not sure) without vibration after few months of use and bought LiIon with vibration (it was 1100mAh or 1400mAh, also not sure, but 10 days of battery autonomy!). Vibration was so fvking intense, few times in my pocket it almost get me completely horny lol More than few times people close to me could felt 5110's vibrations through the air, now that's what I call a portable vibrator! :bigsmile:

4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Lol the cellphone made you horny? hahaha

Yeah they were way stronger back then. My nokia 3310 danced on the table when a call arrived. :D

5. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    As phones get slimmer and slimmer the thickness of the vibrator does too I guess, it's something which spins inside yah.

I thought my quad was turning in to Kevin Nash...

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I always put vibrate off myself, don't like that feature at all, for some strange reason the vibrate on a phone to me was like nails on a chalkboard, i have no idea why.

7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Nothing beats Nokia 3310 phone, each time it vibrated in my leg, i had to visit the doc just to be sure...

Yes today's phone vibration is really really pathetic.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah I often miss calls because I didn't feel the vibrate.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Last phone I had with a reasonable vibration intensity, was an old LG flip phone... My Nexus 6P is barely noticeable when I'm holding it. In fact, I missed a call a few weeks ago while it was in my hand and on vibrate.

10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    they feel more like a minor electric shock than a vibrating phone nowadays

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Says it all :D

Even when my S7 is on the desk I don't feel the vibration through the wood, it's more of a quiet humming sound that I notice just before the ringtone

Old dumb phones would try to escape when they vibrated, catch them before they did a lemmings off the edge of the table type of thing

12. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    When my S7 vibrates I definitely notice immediately when it's in my pocket.
    When it's on my desk at work I get asked to take it off because of the noise it makes for every message/notification I receive.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Exynos or Snapdragon?

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh cool, it's not only me that gets the feeling like I can't get my phone to make itself noticed when it's on vibration and inside my jacket's napolean pocket... and there I thought I was having perceptive issues :D

15. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Exynos - I'm from The Netherlands and apparently they only sell Exynos here.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Exynos here too, weird, I know they do mix and match camera sensors, Sony vs Isocell, maybe they do the same with the vibration motors, no idea but mine is pathetic

17. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Maybe you got a defective vibration motor?

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nah, and reading the comments above, you seem to be the only one with one you can feel, just the way with thinner smartphones now, they don't have the room for heavy weights and big motors

19. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    When you go to Settings -> Sound & Vibration or Sound & Notifications -> Vibration Intensity, is it turned all the way up in there?

Just checking to be sure.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Feedback wasn't, but incoming call and notifications were maxed, I can feel it when I do things like send a whatsapp voice message with the feedback, but for calls and notifications it's terrible