Review: Ryzen 7 1700 processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It is time to peek at the most affordable Ryzen 7 series eight-core processor, the AMD Ryzen 1700. This puppy costs you only 329 USD and it will tweak 'n clock towards 4 GHz just as well. With proper...

Review: Ryzen 7 1700 processor

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    4GHz... Niceuuuu. If I were upgrading I'd definitely consider the R7 1700.

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Great review. Thank you.

These Ryzens are great deals if you're a PC user who creates more content.

I wanted to build a Ryzen rig (build itch) to replace my i7, but as a gamer, it just isn't doing it. It's beating the old FX series but still really nowhere near Intel. Any windows fixes aren't closing that gap.

4. Sunesha

Sunesha Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 960 4gb ssc Evga
    Thanks for testing with a aircooler. I am glad that you can get good enough overclock =)

5. Toetje583

Toetje583 Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Red Devil
    It's still fine in gaming nothing to worry about FPS wise, that intel is on the top by 15+fps doesen't mean the CPU is "Bad" for gaming. So the CPU is a good deal for both the users Gaming/Content. Intel will be on the top aslong as they wan't unless users like you invest in AMD. Okay perhaps you have no reason to upgrade gaming wise. Anyway I'm getting one to build a new ESXI homelab once the CPU is supported. Great RAW performance!

Don't choose intel over those 10/15FPS :) invest in competition aswell.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    In games where the ccx is not causing issues its just there with 6900k np. But mostly yes it is somewhat behind.

7. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Well it's not just 10 fps. In some games the difference is 25-30 fps. In the future and as GPUs get stronger the Ryzen system may be a greater bottleneck. It's a tough decision. I think if you plan to game only an i5 or an i7 is better option. As for future proofing yes games may utilise more cores and threads but maybe not. Even on heavy threaded games Ryzen is still behind. So this tells me that the performance may not improve so much in the future. It's a very good CPU but not for exclusive gaming. If you are one of those who heavily multi task or stream Ryzen is a better option yes but if you plan to game and only game then it's not.

8. Toli001

Toli001 Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3080
    I very much doubt that you will be playing on 1080p with 1080 Ti in order to see the difference. And if there is a difference it is only on your Afterburner OSD, you cannot see it with your eyes (120fps vs 140fps).

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The gaming perf is not an issue in every and any situation. If you purchase a GeForce GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti and game in a CPU bound resolution (1080p) yes, you will see a loss in performance (which varies per title). On average 10% 'ish in extremes however that can run up-to a ridiculous 40% (Tomb Raider).

The second you get more GPU bound, you are not going to notice that perf differential. Even with that 1080 in 2560x1440 you'll have a hard time spotting the perf drop. But the reality remains that Ryzen 7 is underperforming compared to Intel in gaming at CPU bound situations. It is what it is, at this point if you plan to build a nice gaming rig and say a GTX 1060 or RX 480 is your sweet spot for gaming and budget, Ryzen 7 1700 makes total sense at 329 USD with desktop perf that is ridiculously fast for the money.

It's in the high-end and enthusiast segment where the true problem sits. For anything below that segment, Ryzen offers superb value/perf wise.

I wish I could tell a different story on Ryzen 7, but that is the reality of it.

10. Toetje583

Toetje583 Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Red Devil
    True, however it's still fine in doing so, It's a personal choice of-course as an owner you wan't the best for your daily tasks. However healthy competition is only generated if we but them even if they are "Less" in performance. Better is not always better on the end :)

11. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I don't really think that would be the case. I think that it might be a tough sell now. Bit future-proof wise it is golden. 1080p gaming is gping to ve conpletely over in months. Maybe a year tops and in 2k and up, most games are gpu bound and will continue tp ve for the subsequent years as 1080p was until 1-2 years ago.
    Sooooo, I think this is a must have for the future as all will begin to be more multi threaded and less speed dependant.

12. Toetje583

Toetje583 Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Red Devil
    Couldn't say it any better:)

13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Funny, I've been to a few forums and the sentiment is, if it loses to, say, and Intel 7700K, it MUST suck. The thing is, it handles games just fine, may not be the fastest, but fast enough to keep framerate smooth....plus, it's an awesome CPU for uses other than gaming.

14. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Awesome, thank you HH! Now I just need the mobo's to be in stock. :)

15. ViRGE

ViRGE Guest

Hilbert, I need help, all ryzen CPUs have unlocked multiplier's, and all of then clock the same (3.9~4.1Ghz), its hard to see any reason to buy the 1700X and 1800X when they achieve the same overclocks, if you put all Ryzen 7 at 4ghz the 1700 will consume more voltage and power then the other two? Thx for the review

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Might sound a bit petty but for me it's a simple thing of pricing it too high. Let's say $50-100.

If it were this it would look a lot healthier. But then if these "patches" do do something then again another 10 or so fps would help sales.

I dont think Ryzen is competitive at all myself as arent the lower end segment looking at the next chips rather than this bunch? If I were to upgrade my current chip why would I get anything other than say a 7700k?

The other problem is overclockability. 4ghz to me isnt what am after when I can hit 5ghz on air with some chips...

But as you rightly point out perhaps am more high-end so for me intel still is king. (I actually think I just about sit in high-end..obviously not now as I need an upgrade but next upgrades I will be going up a res from 1920x1200).

p.s am a bit miffed by what Amd want to achieve. Are they trying to say hey look our chips are as good therefore pay the same as Intel? Then that's moving away from what previously people regarded them as.

I.e You would pay say $100 less but lose out on a fair chunk of performance but then as more of a casual/lower end gamer this wasnt a deal breaker.

When I was a student that's how I started into the hobby. The £50 saving was quite a bit and meant a better gpu etc etc...

Curent prices here in UK for 1700 are £329! Exactly the same as the 7700K!!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  17. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Thank you Hilbert for the review.
    Concerning the CPU-Z benchmark, my stock 7700K (all cores boost to 4.5GHz) scores 2256 and 10129 for single and multicore. Last CPU-Z available version seemed to bump the result a bit (you have 2237 and 9537 in your chart)
    I think it is fair to have all CPU compared with the same version of CPU-Z to have valid comparison.
    Thanks man

Edit: Here is a screenshot
    [​IMG]image hosting over 5mb

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  18. DarkLiberator

DarkLiberator Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    1700 seems to be the best out of the bunch honestly. Great value.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review as always Hilbert , thank you for a well written informative and to the point review !

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I would love to validate the results, unfortunately previous tested processors have all been returned to Intel, next to that Intel doesn't seed Benelux press with processor samples anymore hence I cannot update them.

Also considering: your single core results are pretty close, multi-core differ. That tells me that you have a turbo bin on all cores (e.g. not testing at default Intel settings).

E.g. ASUS/GBT boards etc all have a BIOS mode activated at default that make all cores Turbo to say 4.5 GHz (or something higher than default Intel binned frequencies).