Depression, can't sleep.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by signex, Mar 6, 2017.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Last couple of months i've been very depressed, my medicine helps with it but not always.
    It all started on Christmas day untill today so for a couple of months now.

My friends haven't seen me in months, haven't been outside at all, sometimes i walk my dog to keep me healthy.

I used to wake up in the middle of the night with insane heart beat, felt like it went above 200bpm and made me so scared i called a ambulance.
    Everything was fine they said, wich is good to hear but something is def wrong... i've never had this before.

Now i'm so scared to go to sleep, cause the moment i lay down my heart beat goes nuts and the panic starts to ramp up again.
    So i've been downstairs sleeping on the couch for the last 4 months, sometimes i can sleep and sometimes i stay awake the whole night and go to sleep when my mom gets out of bed.

Today it was worse, i already didn't sleep well the day before, and i was dying for some sleep but everytime i try to lay down my heart goes nuts and not even my medicine helps.
    It should ease my heart rate and blood pressure but nope heart still goes nuts.

Doctors keep saying my heart is fine, but isn't my heart going to take damage with all these crazy heartbeats every night?

2. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Google anxiety symptoms, also google health anxiety

You're fine, you need to start training weights, properly, for strength and stamina, and eat lots of vegetables; your mood will improve immeasurably, and you'll start to feel like an athlete, not a sick person - good luck

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Sounds like you're anxious and thinking about it just exuberates the issue.

What do you do on an average day?
    How old are you
    Are you overweight?

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I'm 27, a bit overweight, 108kg last time i checked.

Used to work but now i just sit at home during the day and walk my dog once or twice a day for 15min.

You're right, the moment i lay down i keep thinking about my heartrate it starts slow and it starts to accelerate wich leads to panic.
    Sometimes it goes well, i feel my heart rate and it's fine.

I quit drinking energy drinks in the weekends, and drink water sometimes mostly juice.

I slept for 8-10 hours today, and so far i didn't need my medicine, the one that lowers my bloodpressure and heartrate so the lack of sleep could be the issue too.

I mean i slept only 5-6 hours a day for the last couple of months, and i used to sleep fine when my panic attacks started but now it starts everytime i lay down.

5. insp1re

insp1re Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB
    find a hobby or look for something that keeps your mind working, enjoy it and focus on it. It'll help with the worry and stress caused by it, sooner or later you'll come round.

create a list and work from it too, focus on a goal. very rewarding, iv used these methods before.

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Well gaming is my hobby, it does help but as long as i don't play stressful games like shooters cause one day i went so mad that i;ve gotten a panic attack.

I'm playing hearthstone wich helps keep my mind at ease as i heard puzzle games are a good way to keep your mind off as well.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I'm gonna go ahead and tell you the obvious but unless you are very tall 108kg is obese for the average height.

Being overweight just multiplies those types of issues.

I think you should dedicate yourself to going out to the gym doing minor weight training coupled with some cardio workout.
    Walking for 15mins doesn't really cut it.

As for diet, cut out unnecessary sugar and bread.
    also only drink water, pure juice is fine as well(no artificial crap) but don't drink it all the time.
    Lots of sugar is bad for your pancreas.

I assume you don't like to get out to meet new people(can be nerve-racking for some) and if you start doing the above you will naturally come out of your shell.

Just don't waste your whole life sitting at a computer, go out and do something.

I take it you don't have a significant other?

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Quit energy drinks completely not just the weekends, and keep caffeine as a morning only drink, 1-2 coffees when you wake up and no more caffeine all day

Stop eating fatty foods especially late on, if I eat say a pizza for tea my heart beats through my chest at night and starts a panic attack feeling when I think my heart has stopped and I can't breath for a few seconds, I get a sudden electric type shock through my whole body and turn red hot

I've learned to control them as I know they are just panic attacks, not an actual physical problem, but they're still nasty

I walk about 5 miles every other day, and alternate days I lift weights, and over the last few months my sleeping has improved 10 fold and 99% of the problems I was having are gone

Sounds very likely your lifestyle is a big cause of the weird chest feelings, doesn't take long for your body to sort itself out when you start treating it properly again

Walking isn't a terrible exercise either, get out to see some nice places, take some cool photos, before you know it you're a few miles out, do that every day and you'll start feeling better in no time IMO

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I have the same thing you describe, shock type feeling but not all the time.

I usually drink 2 coffee's in the morning and 2 in the evening but i only had 1 couple hours ago.

I don't eat that much anymore, but if i don't eat something i start to feel very dizzy like i'm starting to faint.
    I do eat bread in the afternoon to counter that feeling, as my medicine also drops my blood pressure cause my blood pressure was fine already the times that my doctor checked 140/85 and 120/80.
    So eating less will result in dizziness and makes my body feel like a heavy rock.

I'll start doing long walks and see if that helps, theres a park nearby so and my dog has no issues doing extreme long walks.

There was a night where i almost fainted, i asked my sister cause she fainted once next to our house and laid there for 30min and she described the same feeling before she fainted so i'm not taking too much anymore of my medicine.

I'm going to my doctor tomorrow morning, and see how my blood pressure is now i'm taking this medicine for the last couple months.

I'm also getting some outside help that comes to my home every 2 hours a week to help sort things out like income and getting work.
    This crap needs to get sorted soon before i get a psychological breakdown cause it's messing with my life very badly.

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Yea i found lots of stuff about it and that it is a very common issue among society.
    Even though i'm fine, i can't get rid of this thought that there's something wrong with my heart.

11. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    This is the story of my life for the past 14 years.

I went without teatment for the first 10 years (anxiety and depression) and it became so bad that it went over to full on derealization.

You definitely suffer from acute anxiety and the best things you can do from this point onwards is this..

* See a GP and get started on a SSRI. It takes a while to start working and you might switch to other depending on your results. I started on Citalopram, which did nothing for me, went over to Fluoxitine which made my heart skip beats and finally I started on Venlafaxine which has definitely changed my life!
    * If you smoke weed, stop!
    * If you drink, stop. It might make you feel better today, but the hangover tomorrow with include lots of anxiety.
    * Get out of the house and do some walking as anxiety raises you blood pressure and that adds to your noticable heart beat and your worry about dying. Some light exercise will make you feel better.
    * Try to eat light for dinner as your heart beats faster to help woth digestion.

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Then you're very strong person if you could live with it for 10 years without help, i'd probably be dead by then. :bang:

I'm using oxazepam, makes me very calm but doesn't get rid of the thoughts about my issue wicn is my heartrate.
    I don't smoke weed or drink, well i used to but not anymore sinds my problem.

I drank alot of wodka mixed with energy drink, like 4-5 on a saturday and that triggered my first big panic attack at night.
    Luckily a friend was sleeping in the next room and he was awake, he measured my heart rate and it was around 121bpm so nothing to worry about.
    His heartrate was the same but he has an illness so for him 120bpm was normal for him.

I have no idea what you mean with GP and SSRI.

13. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    GP = Doctor ;)

Ok, so Oxazepam is a benzodiazepines, which is very good for stress and panic, but only short term. It's more of a calming medication.

SSRI's are "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors" which helps your body regulate it's serotonin release and helps with the long term symptoms and effects of both anxiety and depression.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Correct for short term use, my mom used it for 4 years though she had to take 4 a day for her other medicine's side effects like burning sensation on the chest and head.

I will ask my doctor for SSRI then, though i won't take the same medicine as my mom, the side effects seem horrible.
    I hear theres quiet a selection, it seem to differ from person to person.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Yea don't stop eating, just cut out the fatty stuff, it raises bad cholesterol (LDL) or something in the blood that makes your heart beat out your chest especially at night when you're quiet and have nothing else to concentrate on other than your heart beat, which leads to you imagining the worst, which leads to a panic attack

Two changes I made that have had the biggest positive impact on my health have been cutting out what I call "crap", crisps, sweets, fatty foods like pizzas, anything deep fried like a chip shop / takeaway, fizzy pop, started eating pretty cleanly, chicken, rice, potatoes etc

And walking / lifting, as long as I do one or the other every single day I'm happy

Dropped like 15kg in about 3 months with next to no effort, and enjoying seeing good results from the lifting too

I'd definitely cut out your evening coffees though, caffeine will just make things worse, faster heart beat, and insomnia, along with being a diuretic making you need to p1ss all night

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Beer works for me/ calms me down... no kidding!

17. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I can tell you anti-depressants are the most useless medications, ever. It's them that make you overweight, tired and anti-social.

Funny how stimulants aren't recommended/used for depression when they do help it.

18. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Because they are both only suppressing/worsening the symptoms when all he needs to do is change habits and get out of the vicious cycle.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Get your testosterone levels checked too, low testosterone can have similar symptoms to depression, and anti-depressants will do nothing to solve that

Emotional Signs and Symptoms
    • Depression (sadness, hopelessness, despair)
    • Motivation and ambition (decreased)
    • Irritability (increased anger, agitation, or loss of patience)
    https://www.menshormonalhealth.com/low-testosterone-symptoms.html

20. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Where did you get that idea? I used to take them and i was way more happy and intersted, now without them im struggling. Maybe they dont work for some dunno.

OP, i strongly suggest daily exercise. Some good other suggestions here to help you bounce back into spirit. Good luck mate.