Twitch will start selling games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Twitch is getting into a new market: selling video games. The company will start selling games and in-game content through its service this spring, it announced today, allowing viewers to buy titles f...

Twitch will start selling games

2. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Will this just link to the respective distribution client/store page for downloading these games or will Twitch/Amazon personally ask each publisher (count EA and Microsoft Studios out) to sell games on their site?

Wonder if they'll hold the publisher's content hostage if its being distributed through amazon web services as it would be a "you better allow us to sell your games on our marketplace or else you will see degraded hosting for your own services".

Right now it sounds like another Gamefly.

3. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    i knew this was coming when twitch partnered with amazon. not a fan of the idea for multiple reasons, but yall have to admit - with the heavy commercialization of twitch over the past few years, it was only a matter of time before something like this happened

4. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    What happens when the streamer paid to play the game turns out to hate the game? What does he do? Feign enjoyment? Will he still be paid the same after calling it a piece of crap on stilts?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

5. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I've seen streamers **** on games for publishers and still the publisher goes back to them for sponsored streams. Why? Because it's good exposure either way. Lately Lirik shat on GR:W closed beta and have already after that confirmed that he is in talks with Ubisoft for a sponsored stream about the game on release.

It's just opinions by the streamer, even if they **** on it with 20000 viewers, there will probably be a huge majority of those viewers who would buy the game regardless so either way it's a win for the publisher.

6. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Amazon bought Twitch.

7. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    yeah, i misspoke - shouldnt have said "partnered". usually im more careful about my choice of words