Intel is Trying to Manipulate AMD Ryzen Launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    This is the story of the day for sure. Yesterday in the forums somebody asked if we received Intel review guidelines from Intel for the Ryzen review as well. A very curious question, I answered no. An...

Intel is Trying to Manipulate AMD Ryzen Launch

2. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    Absolutely disgusting practise, if it is indeed true.

I've already hastily pre-ordered an 1700X and Asrock X370 Taichi, unless HH's review brings up something truly terrible on March 2nd then it'll be replacing my 2500k that's already getting a bit long in the tooth especially for video editing.

Intel need to sort their practises out, AMD are bringing their A game.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If Ryzen truly delivers, there will be good numbers everywhere from people.
    Sites doing this favor to intel may as well "close the shop". Because this launch is very important for everyone and people will know truth soon enough.

@HH: I am not sure what set of tests you are doing with Ryzen, but would be lovely if we had geekbench included and we could see effect of different DDR4 speeds too.
    It is very easy to compare different types of workloads. As some people need something particular and others are looking for different instructions.

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I stopped reading at S|A, honestly don't know why you'd bother posting anything from Charlie.

Looking forward to your review of Ryzen though, the leaked benchmarks show it really shining. At this rate my next CPU will be an AMD for sure unless Intel get their **** together (or if the leaks are fabricated ;))

5. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Surely, if Intel is doing this (again) it is illegal?
    They were doing this same thing many years ago and the EU took them to court, after they were threatening partners who would make motherboards for AMD.

It makes me want to throw my intel setup away (and I would if I could afford to).

6. koliko

koliko Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti
    Its crazy but i would say it could easy be true, if you think how much $$$ is involved here. One small "manipulation" could easy make few % diference in sale. We can use simple math to calculate how many millions USD that is :)

7. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Hilbert, Could you please do your "RYZEN unboxing" video :p

8. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Few billion fine, compared to vast amount of sales they took away. Pretty sure it was win/win for Intel still, even after been fined by the EU.

9. vg24a3

vg24a3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I'm crossing my fingers AMD kicks Intel's ass this time, hopefully they can pull it of and really make some competition.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    From my reading on this, a few of the tech sites said they had the usual intel contacts when AMD announces products...or nothing out of the ordinary. As to why Charlie Douche....'makes stuff up'...if it isn't an AMD GPU or CPU he's at best, alternative facts.

11. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    http://*************/intel-playing-dirty-undercut-amd-ryzen/ (wccftech) This article has an update on it. It says:

[UPDATED – Feb 26 2017 7:16 PM ET]

The editors-in-chief of two of America’s top PC hardware and technology publications have confirmed to Wccftech that they have indeed been approached by Intel regarding upcoming Ryzen reviews. Although both said that it was business as usual. Affirming that Intel’s response following AMD’s Ryzen announcement was what they had expected it to be. Adding that nothing was particularly unusual about the emails they received from Intel.

[End of update]

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Missed it by a minute :)

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Currently Ryzen only supports a limited set of DDR4 speeds. It's not a hardware limitation, it's just because AMD's focus has been on performance and not overclocked memory compatibility. The benefits from the focus on performance outweighed the potential performance increase of focussing on high speed RAM compatibility. Apparently within a month or so there will be new microcode available, it will then be up the the manufacturer to update the relevant bios. Enthusiasts can update the microcode and other modules manually, but hopefully they won't be slack.

So far it may mean that you are limited to mid DDR4-2xxx speeds, after the microcode update supposedly you could use speeds up to mid DDR4-3xxx and probably higher.

It would be good therefore that after the microcode is released and bios is available that a comparative review is done between say, DDR4-2400 on the new bios and the review system, everything else the same, and then the benefit of DDR4-3200 and higher on the new bios.

14. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Higher RAM speeds seldom yield much benefit, inside the type of RAM used (there's generally been benefits to increasin from type to type, though ddr3->4 showed kind of meh gains for performance). Some tasks are boosted by it, but usualy not much.

15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Asus and Gigabyte already did list up to 3200, though.

16. bonomork

bonomork Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 6800XT
    If true it's unfair competition.

17. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    It is weird how an unconfirmed rumor made it to the news page. Although it's a rumor that can hardly surprise me if true it's still a rumor.
    Why did you post that on front page?
    Do you know something more and you don't wanna tell?

If Ryzen proves to be that good and competitive then it will be the time to upgrade from my 2500K at last.

18. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    For politics like this (as it is not the first time) Intel will never get my money. I do not suport companies that have antitrust issues and their bussiness model is based on corruption of others! I sticked with my 8350 till now and pre-ordered the 1800x (with mobo and RAM) based on AMD review but more important based on the fact that I trust their bussiness concept. Lisa (their CEO) do what Steve Jobs did for Appled when he took them over again in '97!

Let's be correct here, my 8350 served me well and could serve me as good in the future. One of the reasons I ordered the 1800x and all the rest coming with it, is to support AMD as spending that amount of money for an upgrade is not an issue for me :) !!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  19. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    By the way, shouldn't the NDA be lifted before launch day or AMD are afraid some reviews might hurt them and people might cancel their preorders?

20. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Thought that GTA V 1700 bench doing the rounds looked a bit dodgy...